Archinect
anchor

Building a Portfolio

Tomato12

Hi I'm a civil engineering student, but I'm thinking of an MArch in the future. I originally wanted it, but it wasn't available in the school I'm in. I have 2yrs to go in this school, and I'll be pursuing my masters afterwards I've been reading a lot about moving from civil engineering to Architecture, and a lot has been said about building a portfolio, I'm not from the US, but I plan on pursuing my Masters there, so I know it would be very competitive. Right now, I really want to try building a portfolio and in that, see if I really do have what it takes to be an architect. So I need some honest advice, is it possible, and what do I need to develop right now?

Sep 17, 16 3:26 pm
BulgarBlogger

Pick aome details you have designed and hand draw them... Then do another exercise where you try to somehow combine details so they seem like they are part of one structural system. Don't think of the structural system first, but think of it as an abstract composition of several details that will "work together". Beong literal about things in an architectural portfoljo for admission into a graduate program will only hinder you because it will expose your narrow mindedness...

Sep 17, 16 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

Tell a story with your portfolio.  Don't just throw in details and random pieces of technical work

Sep 17, 16 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Access-

Your comment was helpful and so unhelpful at the same time. This guy/gal has never applied to an architectural program in his/her life. In their mind, "telling a story" can mean so many things... Give them some specific advice, rather than some halfass/smartass comment that really doesn't mean anything.

Sep 17, 16 10:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: