Archinect
anchor

Takeover

gruen
today NPR tells me Uber introduces self driving cars.

My prediction: Google is working to take over the transportation industry-especially trucking-with their self driving vehicles.

In 10 years, the teamsters will be unemployed. Same for taxi drivers.

Sep 14, 16 7:20 pm
Non Sequitur
And, what's wrong with that?
I love uber, I'll never hail a cab again.
Sep 14, 16 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Didn't say anything is wrong with it. Probably they will learn how to make computers program themselves too, maybe even do architecture.
Sep 14, 16 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

They're already working on that... https://flux.io/

Sep 14, 16 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

you will all die in an uber car as I continue to hail cabs.

Sep 14, 16 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Don't die in a cab, please, Olaf.

Sep 15, 16 7:50 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Work on a software that recognizes the "Hail".  Sell that software system to Uber so they can take over the NYC cab business.  Retire to the south Pacific...

Sep 15, 16 10:16 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Robots already have the Bitcoin
Sep 15, 16 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

wurdan, Flex seems to be just an intelligent file management system, not a AI engine.

Sep 15, 16 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

I still wouldn't trust them in weather or heavy traffic.  I'd be fine anywhere I'd be fine using cruise control or light traffic.   I'm also curious if they'll double park to drop off and pick up like a taxi driver :P

It may end up affecting how we design buildings...   I'm curious to see how they'll handle things like a decorative concrete pattern we're currently designing at a drop-off canopy.  Things humans can understand because of context, but a smart computer might interpret it completely different like it's a sidewalk.  If it takes off, I'd think a lot of buildings will need a drop-off incorporated into the entry design as well.

Sep 15, 16 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Robots are b****es.
Sep 17, 16 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

"Flex seems to be just an intelligent file management system, not an AI engine.".... yeah and Cyberdyne was just a benign manufacturing company...

Sep 17, 16 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

As your local cyborg overlord, I welcome this development.

Sep 20, 16 7:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: