Archinect
anchor

Toward an architecture-job in NY

ztazen

Hi guys, 
I am a Moroccan/American architect, After living in Morocco for most of my life, studying in France, and working in both countries, I am now projecting to move "back" to the US, and specifically to New York.
I have been sending job application for the past month, but I still haven't heard from any of the firms, so I wanted to get your opinions.
Maybe there's something wrong that just slipped from radar, or something I should add in there. Or maybe it's unrelated to my application? 

So this is the shorter version of my portfolio: PORTFOLIO 
And this is the cover letter and resume : COVER

Thanks in advance for your feedback !

Sami

Sep 12, 16 12:25 pm
jcarch

The cover letter is lorem ipsum text.  I'm going to assume that you haven't been sending this version out to firms.

I would make it clear in your letter that you're an American citizen.  We get lots of resumes from people from abroad who apparently have zero understanding that they'd need a visa to come to the US and work.  These applicants don't get considered for an open position.  I know your address is in the US, but your education and experience all would lead me to believe that you were French or Moroccan.  I'd make this clear both in your cover letter, and on your resume.

I'm also very hesitant to have people travel across the country for junior level positions.  That may be just me, but I think it's a pretty widely held feeling, particularly for smaller firms.  You can counteract this by saying in your letter that you'll be in NYC the week of October 10th, and would be available for an interview then (even if it's not true).  That takes away my worry that you're going to drop $1,000 in air fare to fly to NYC for an interview for a position that you may not be offered.

Lastly, mention the firms work, and be specific.  Don't say "your mastery of architectural forms is thrilling to see."  Say "I'm very interested in work that is thoughtfully detailed and was impressed by how the handrail at the smith residence meets the door casing."  The former is just silly (and we get language like that all the time in cover letters).  I find the latter more convincing, and it shows me that you're the type of person who took the time to actually look at our work, rather than the sort who uses the same superlatives for every firm they applied to.

Sep 13, 16 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

NY firms care very little about international experience unless you will be working for boutique and / or star architecture firms whose work is outside the US. You need to emphasize your skills more than your design talent. Your portfolio graphics are mediocre and your portfolio oozes desire for a design role than any construction or administratoon abilities. Keep your portfolio clean and consistent and demonstrate a stronger technical understanding.

Sep 13, 16 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
ztazen

Thanks for the great advise @Jcarch, it's very insightful to know the recruiter's perspective. 
I am definitely guilty of the 3rd point. I try to be specific for the firms I really care about, but at this point, I'm playing more of a number's game to move to NY asap, before seeking better opportunities once I'm in proximity, and can actually get in contact with those offices.

@BulgarBlogger, Thanks for the feedback! It's true that I have more design skills, than construction or administration abilities. I also realize that the portfolio lacks in consistency and I will have to redo most of these graphics at some point, to be considered for the kind of office I wish to work in.
Is there a project in particular that you think I should completely take away? 

Sep 13, 16 4:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: