Archinect
anchor

Celebrity-turned-"designer"-shitting-on-real-architect thread du jour

This time it's Moby, he of the first-ever album to sell 100% of its tracks to advertisers!

http://www.curbed.com/2016/9/9/12863296/moby-zaha-hadid-hotel-beef

Literally would have been more comfortable sleeping in a dumpster. Does that word mean what he thinks it means?

Sep 11, 16 12:56 pm
gruen
Ugh. Clients who think they are designers because we let them pick between option a and b.
Sep 11, 16 1:31 pm  · 
 · 

Well you know, *anyone* can design, gruen.

Just like anyone can sing.

Would Moby like to hear me karaoke The Famous Davis Sisters' sample he uses for In This World? 'Cuz I totally can. Anyone can sing.

Sep 11, 16 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

hahaha...yeah so a traingluar corner with a ladder to it to think and cradle oneself in their thought against code is an excellent design feature.

Sep 11, 16 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

As a non-musician I feel I still have the right and the ability to judge whether or not I like or dislike a certain musician...in the case of moby I'd rather listen to Dolphins fucking. 

Sep 11, 16 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

This is timely.

I just bought the domain www.Celebrinect.com.  You know, a place where Moby, Brad, Yeezy, Wheezy, and Sleazy can chat about their new careers as celebrity architects.  It should be lively, except that they'll argue about SAG cards, not professional licenses.

Oh, and the resident troll will be James Franco... "Frankins" they'll call him, and he'll be the requisite combination of relentless, grating, and oblivious.

Stay tuned for updates on when it goes live!

Sep 11, 16 4:36 pm  · 
 · 

ALL the stars to citizen!!

That's stars as in the gold kind you put on a great book report, not the STARchitects or celebrity stars.

I'm not anonymous on Archinect, but OMG if Celebrinect.com was a real thing I'd make up a fake identity and allow my mean-spirited, petty alter ego to run free! Take that, Kardashian who said Le Courvoisier is an architect!   Take that, whiney young Darth Vader guy!  Take that, Mobylicious! Come here, Brad!

Sep 11, 16 6:52 pm  · 
 · 

A lot of people in architecture were eating from his feet and calling him an urbanist etc., when he wrote celebratory stuff about Los Angeles, mainly west side, with seemingly participating voice. Not too long ago. For a while, he was beyond criticism. I was yelled at (exaggerating here) for pointing out flaws.

Sep 11, 16 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

That's nuthin' Donna.  I've got LOTS of great ideas... not one of 'em income-generating.  So I'll take any starz you're handing out.

And I wrote "Brad" with trepidation up there...  ;o]

Sep 11, 16 8:31 pm  · 
 · 

Orhan, when 18 came out I remember feeling like Moby was the most important voice of the era. Now he annoys me (not just because of this, other things too). Which makes me wonder if Bjarke will just annoy me in another few years? 

I mean, that cafe design isn't *bad*; it's very cute, if trendy, but not worth comparing to Zaha's wok at all!

Sep 11, 16 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Moby opened a vegan restaurant in LA. Bravo. That was cool in 1990.
Sep 11, 16 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

oh is that why the roof terrace gym set was never used...

Sep 11, 16 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

I've stayed in that hotel, and Moby is right.  

Sep 12, 16 10:01 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

^this. 

Sep 12, 16 10:51 am  · 
 · 

Oh, EKE. We all know you are capable of much more nuanced thought than this.

Moby's cafe design is fine. It's skillful in a certain subset of environment design that is of interest to many.

Zaha: same.

Why does Moby need to shit on one genre to make his own seem more important?

...and really: Moby is right meaning you'd *literally* rather sleep in a dumpster - a real dumpster, full of 3-day-old restaurant trash and roaches under the elements - than sleep in a luxury hotel of *any* design?

Sep 12, 16 10:52 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

from the dude that used to pray to jesus for absolution after having sex.

oh moby.

Sep 12, 16 11:05 am  · 
 · 
proto

donna, i think he was referring to an artisanal post-ironic bouique dumpster

Sep 12, 16 11:40 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

sounds to me like he's really questioning the quality of the mattress, which is FF&E, not typically part of the architect's scope.

Sep 12, 16 11:44 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

moby is a fucking dilettante.  

Sep 12, 16 11:54 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

LOL at getting worked up over a curbed post.

Sep 12, 16 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

" getting worked up over a curbed post " = 65% of Archinect forum posts

Sep 12, 16 1:32 pm  · 
 · 

Just having fun, won. and loving that every time I sign into this thread I see the badass Exhibit Columbus logo!

Sep 12, 16 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Moby is still around?

Sep 12, 16 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

he sucked at electronic music and now he sucks at architecture.

Sep 12, 16 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
It was because they saw Moby coming so gave him "that" room.
Sep 12, 16 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Gruen... perhaps big fancy-pants hotels have deliberately terrible rooms for winy celebrities.

"Hey Mobi's staying here, his music is terrible, stick him that corner suit we only clean following the full moon".

Sep 12, 16 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

"nobody listens to techno"

might have been true in 2003, but nowadays even Eminem is doing his raps over EDM and Moby is more relevant than ever.

Sep 12, 16 2:47 pm  · 
 · 

Moby....what a dick. Hope Ahab harpoons his ass.

Sep 12, 16 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

So, is the problem that Moby has an unflattering opinion of the Hadid hotel, or that he dared to offer that opinion in publicly?

My opinion (and I'm hoping it's still ok to publicly express an opinion about architecture) ... is that the hotel rooms at that place are cold and hard and synthetic and miserable. 

I do disagree with Moby about the dumpster thing, though.  As uninviting as the hotel rooms are, I'd still rather stay there than a dumpster.

Sep 12, 16 5:08 pm  · 
 · 

A lot of hotels are really soulless, and once you get in the room they all look the same. That's why some of Portman's stuff was groundbreaking. There was a Wow factor associated with older hotels that was brought back into the design, at least in the breathtaking atriums.

My response above was a poor attempt at word play, and I think he's a relative of Melville. he's allowed to have an opinion...even if the comparison is awful and hyperbolic.

Sep 12, 16 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Oh come on guys, why can't Moby have an opinion on a piece of architecture, that, by design is meant to be populist? Does this imply one cannot criticize Music now either?

Get your heads out of your asses guys!

Sep 12, 16 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Some of my colleagues also stayed at that room, and they had even worse responses than Moby. And for the record, these guys were AIA LICENSED ARCHITECTS. I should ask one of them to post their review, and perhaps then you guys would appreciate the critique.

Sep 12, 16 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

AIA licenses architects now?

Sep 12, 16 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Are human creature comforts the correct way to measure the value of architecture?  Is architecture simply there to ergonomically fit our ass and pleasure our senses?  Or, like in film, does a certain degree of discomfort, vertigo, adventure, danger, benefit us more?  

Sep 12, 16 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

I don't know about you, but when I go to a four-star hotel in Madrid, I'm not really looking for a certain degree of discomfort, vertigo, or danger.  If you are looking for that, then I do recommend the dumpster.  :)

Sep 12, 16 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I've stayed in old dingy historic hotels for the fun of it...many of which were very uncomfortable, yet I remember each one as a positive and enriching experience....I can't remember shit about the comfortable ones...maybe people are too picky about comfort...moby must be getting old...

Sep 12, 16 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

I think you nailed it, Jia-x.  It seems that it's just us old folk who are still concerned about designing environments that make people feel comfortable.

Ever hear of H. H. Holmes?  Now there was a guy who really understood the importance of discomfort, vertigo, or danger when designing hotels.

Sep 12, 16 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Serial killers are not buildings...his house of horrors would probably attract tons of visitors if open as an attraction to public...we like the illusion of danger and adventure not the real thing...horror movies vs getting chased by real maniacs.  Architecture as fiction has a place and Marriott has a place. 

Sep 12, 16 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

if you read the other article posted in the news section on Archinect clearly he is a Decorator and NOT a Designer.

Sep 12, 16 7:33 pm  · 
 · 

Everyone is allowed to express an opinion. Because some people don't like Moby's music doesn't mean that he's not allowed to make whatever kind of music he desires. Likewise architects.

If every cafe in the world looked like Moby's the world would be boring. Likewise architects.

If the only way you can pump up your own brand is *by shitting on someone else's* then you you don't have anything worth selling.

What Moby should have said: "I stayed in a Zaha hotel once. You could see a lot of effort was put into making a place that would elicit a strong response, and it was cool, if you're into that sort of thing, but when I designed my cafe I wanted to go for a more comfortable, homey feeling." See how that allows for a difference of opinion?

But that kind of response doesn't sell clicks.

Sep 12, 16 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

^ still less harsh than moby's critique.  Lol

Sep 12, 16 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

It seems that it's just us old folk who are still concerned about designing environments that make people feel comfortable.

Sweet self-praise bro! Screw those young'uns and their cell phones and their computers and their GH! like omg wtf bbq

Sep 13, 16 4:00 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

May 16, 1861

162 feet long and 50

601-603 West 63rd Street

November 17, 1894

August 1895

May 7, 1896

~Finis~

Sep 13, 16 8:30 am  · 
 · 
Chemex

I'm worried that the media is pushing us down this rabbit hole of caring about what Moby thinks about Zaha. It's pushing this whole celebrity pop gossip architecture content. . . I'd say it's better off to ignore it, maybe impossible when so many media outlets have been commodified for clicks. I'd hope we can all do better.

Sep 13, 16 9:37 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Well, Moby is being a Dick, so, who is our Ahab.
Sep 13, 16 9:49 am  · 
 · 

Our guest on Sessions this week argues to me that architects should be embracing pop culture even more, LiMX. He may be right!

Sep 13, 16 10:59 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

It got 4 stars on yelp. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sep 13, 16 11:20 am  · 
 · 
You stole my line Beta. That will be 5k in damages plus court costs.

Or just pay for my Norway/Iceland trip. Also acceptable.
Sep 13, 16 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Damn you Mings! I swear, the habit of not reading posts, since Skid left, is still with me.
Sep 13, 16 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

I'm not 100% sure what quondam just said, but i'm pretty sure he just ate a vegan?  i only hope (s)he was gluten free.

Sep 13, 16 3:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: