Archinect
anchor

Interviewing Potential Employer

eyeballs

What questions would you ask a potential employer in an interview if you were the one recruited?

I'm currently employed as a young licensed architect.  While I'm not exactly thrilled with where I'm at, I know if could be worse. Before I truly consider jumping ship, what hard hitting questions would you ask if you had nothing to lose? I know the caliber of their work, but I want to be sure the culture is a good fit above all else. 

Sep 11, 16 10:21 am
thisisnotmyname

Ask

1) What is/are the biggest problem(s) this firm faces and how are you fixing it?

2) How do you handle layoffs?

3) What would you like the firm to look like in 20 years?  What are you doing today to achieve long term goals?

Sep 11, 16 11:15 am  · 
 · 

How often do you miss or are late on payroll? or for a more polite way of asking do you issue checks (bad sign) or use direct deposit? (good sign because it requires much more cash on hand) 

How much back log do you have?

Are all of your projects currently in CD production?

How much of that back log is from one or a very few clients?

Is all of your work in one potentially vulnerable sector?

Do you have CAD and or BIM standards and how regularly are they reviewed or updated?

How stable is your IT infrastructure, do you often have server or network outages how much of a role will I need to play in maintaining IT infrastructure on a weekly basis? (not a huge problem but it can be frustrating to spend hours of your time fussing with the server or plotters because no one at the office is doing IT work as a primary responsibility, not to mention network outages and IT failures will send the boss on an express train to Cranky Town)

How dependent on the cloud is your office? (I hate One Drive from Microsoft and my current firm is trying to use it as an alternative for a real physical server)

How much stress is your team under right now and is this a regular thing? (follow UP) How do you envision me helping to alleviate that stress?

Do you have office pets? (important if you are allergic because sadly the company mascot is more important than a recently added team member)

How often is the team working late nights or weekends? Is this a recent short term trend? (do you want your children to know who you are and to have a semblance of a work life balance)

What software and what current version is your office using? (this will help you understand if the boss has an understanding of Revit or are they still thinking and planning in terms of CAD when it comes to scheduling and budgeting CD production)

Am I filling a vacancy or is this a new position? (might let you know if there is a revolving door)

What do you envision my role being on your team and what additional responsibilities would you want me to take on? (do you want to be in-charge of the sample library or be the back up receptionist when they are out of the office?)

For those additional responsibilities you want me to take on, will I have time allocated to complete the task? (do you want to do sample library or other task on your own time not on company time?)

Good news is the economy is doing well right now so you do not have to stick out a crummy job situation. Like Ronna and Beverly say in their book "you will do a little better next time"

Link to their podcast below

https://soundcloud.com/ronna-and-beverly

I just hope that no one thinks they have to tolerate a toxic abusive workplace, even if the economy is not good I still think your health and well being is more important than sticking it out. Don't let yourself be a victim take charge and leave behind a bad situation when you encounter one.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Sep 11, 16 11:35 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: