Archinect
anchor

Transfer to BArch After Receiving 4 year B.S. in Architecture

I was wondering if it were possible to transfer the credits from my already completed 4 year B.S. in architecture, and transfer into the last year of a 5-year BArch program at a different university. 

This would allow me to receive my license more quickly, and minimize acquired debt from attending a graduate school. 

Does anyone know if this is feasible? If so, what universities would offer this option? Appreciate all your help. 

Sep 9, 16 1:55 pm
BulgarBlogger

You realized this after 4 years? 

Sep 9, 16 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

why did you bother with the 4y path in the first place?

Also, is that not why we have the M.arch so that non accredited folks have a path?

Sep 9, 16 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
dylper

I am considering alternate paths to my license after recently graduating other than an March which at the very least is 2 years. I went to a university that offered a 4-year architecture program, but other career options as well in case I decided to do something different. I ended up choosing architecture.

I am trying to save time, and money in my current setting. Is this transfer possible to do, and if so, which universities would offer me this option? Thanks.

Sep 9, 16 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

It's possible in some programs, but almost none will let you transfer directly to the 4th or 5th year.  Some will start you as far back as 2nd or 3rd year studios, so it would ultimately take as long as if you do a 4+2 or 4+3 M.Arch track.

The few that will let you transfer directly to a 5th year are usually programs that have a 5+1, 5+1.5, or 5+2 program, where the M.Arch is an unaccredited post-pro program.  Sometimes these schools let people transfer to the 4th or 5th year of the B.Arch - but some of these award the B.Arch concurrently with the M.Arch at the end of both programs, and do not award it on its own for people who don't want to continue on - so you need to find out the "fine print".

Sep 9, 16 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
dylper

Thank you 5839.

Sep 9, 16 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
JimBob

Some advice, if you "ended up choosing architecture" and you had other choices that appear to be just as good I would take one of the other choices. The profession is not worth it unless you love to do it. Loooong hours, a lot of stress, volatility in job market and last but not least - working with gollums. You will be disappointed with your choice unless you love to do this and are willing to do whatever it takes to be successful. This includes taking the proper path to education and not cutting corners.

Sep 9, 16 3:24 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

I doubt you'll find a BArch program that will let you transfer in. The difference between a 4 year BS and a 5 year BArch is not the 5th year, but the 20% more credits earned in the early years that provide a more robust program. Its breadth, not length. 

Find a 2 year MArch that suits your interests.

Sep 9, 16 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
TheGreatEscape

@dylper unfortunately no.

And I agree with @JimBob

Dec 10, 16 2:42 am  · 
 · 
claudiabiju

Can anyone tell me if you can transfer to another university in the 4th year after doing 3 years of b arch?

Dec 15, 23 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Unlikely but what did the school admin say when you called to ask?

Dec 16, 23 9:50 am  · 
1  · 
reallynotmyname

It can be done. I work with someone who transferred between 5 year BArch programs after 3rd year and completed their degree after 2 years in the new program.

Dec 16, 23 10:04 am  · 
 · 
claudiabiju

Suppose, Im in “University A”doing 3rd year of architecture. So can i transfer to “University B” and do my 4th and
5th year in that university? Is that possible? Will my diploma be from Uni A or Uni B?

Dec 16, 23 11:24 am  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

This was in the USA., the degree was completed at University B and thus the degree was from University B.

Dec 16, 23 11:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: