Archinect
anchor

Renovation and its effect on foundation.

melissasa.

Hello

I am fresh graduate and interior architect working a new job where i have to supervise an apartment being renovated with a lot of details.

My question is

What is the effect of renovating an old apartment in old building.

The building is concrete pillars and concrete blocks with 3 floors and 2 basement apartments (note that the building is on a slope and lower floors are visible if you go down - the apartment is GF) . Beams are visible ceiling is around 3.5 meters in height walls around 10 -20 cm in thickness depending on the location of the wall. Building is almost completely cladded with old stone (traditional in lebanese building) some as thick as 20 cm (buildings high in mountains)

My question is that during the renovation there were a huge amount of changes going on

From changing electrical outlets to new water supply radiators etc...

And in order to have those installed and placed there has to be breaking of the walls, to pass pvc/ppr tubes and so on

The neighbour upstairs keeps complaining that building steel door (main gate) was damaged and would not close properly. Also the aluminum track frame according to him shifted and won't open properly 

The image below is just an example of how the tubes pass through the walls.

So my question Could there be any effect on the foundations of the building that is around 50 years old? From all the vibration that is occuring

Would really like to know if this in an issue for future references 

Sep 6, 16 11:22 pm
Non Sequitur
You should have studied architecture and not interior design. Had you done that you would have answered your own question.
Sep 7, 16 4:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: