Archinect
anchor

R-3 single family occupied roof access

Can it only be from a stair, or can I use an alternating tread device or ships ladder with a hatch?

I know in the IBC you can use it only for an unoccupied roof, but I'm wondering about California Residential Code for a single family house (with a flat roof deck).

I can't find anything in the CBC that makes me think it is permitted, but I wanted to ask you smart folks.  There's a lot of examples of where this condition is built: http://www.houzz.com/rooftop-deck-ships-ladder

Sep 3, 16 8:37 pm
JeromeS

Here in NJ, the IRC only applies to R-5, on and two family dwellings.  Anything else, including R3 is IBC. IBC permits alternating tread stairs.

Sep 3, 16 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Set aside my previous answer: alternating tread devices are a means of egress. No means of egress is required from an unoccupied roof.

Sep 3, 16 9:52 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks for the response Jerome, although I'm really confused by what you've written.  There is no R-5 occupancy in the IRC or IBC, and as I mentioned, the roof is occupied.  I know you can use them from an unoccupied roof. Regardless, California Residential Code includes R-3, which is what I'm talking about (just residential code)

Sep 3, 16 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
R5 is written into some jurisdictions. Just put a regular stair. Roof deck is the place to drink, don't make them fall down a ladder. There's no allowance in the IRC for anything other than stairs.
Sep 4, 16 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

How does 1006.3 impact your design, including tables?

Sep 4, 16 12:46 pm  · 
 · 

Not sure I'm looking at the right 1006.3, I'm seeing egress illumination.

I think gruen is right, I was hoping there might just have been something I overlooked

Sep 4, 16 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

We are using 2015. 1006.3 is egress from occupied roofs...

Sep 5, 16 9:17 am  · 
 · 
neejgore

Hey Tyler, did you get an answer to this question? I have a similar one that I am trying to figure out now. Thanks in advance.

Nov 11, 21 1:33 am  · 
 · 

This is a while back, but I don't remember finding anything that permitted it.  I think it is just for unoccupied roofs that it is okay.  Similar, but related, I think you can do a ladder/alternating tread up to a loft if it's limited to a certain size.

Nov 11, 21 11:45 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: