The Duel: Test Drive II

Top Gun

Football Manager

The Great Giana Sisters

Winter Games

Summer Games

Cavemen Ughlympics

Karate

can't remember another one where you could build your skiing world, that game and R-type were copied tapes....nothing like rewinding after game over

Skate or Die music

Sep 3, 16 11:39 am
no_form
Wow this looks like very cutting edge technology I could use on my iPhone or with Windows 10.

Wish I knew someone who could design an app or game for this.
Sep 3, 16 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I was a boss at skate or die.

Sep 3, 16 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

wait, NS, is this you?

Sep 3, 16 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Yes Olaf.
Sep 3, 16 4:53 pm  · 
 · 

The good thing is you can play those games on the PC and other devices via a C64 emulator. Even though they are old school computer games, they can be enjoyed by people. 

The emulator that I prefer using is VICE (WinVICE for Windows platform).

http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net/index.html#download

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vice-emu/files/releases/binaries/windows/WinVICE-2.4-x86.zip/download    (32-bit Windows.... works on either 32 or 64 bit Windows PCs)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vice-emu/files/releases/binaries/windows/WinVICE-2.4-x64.zip/download     (64-bit Windows)

It is one of the better quality C64 emulators. Actually, VICE is more than a C64 emulator. It emulates multiple models of Commodore 8 bit computers from the PET to the C64DTV.

Some sources for video games and demos: 

http://csdb.dk/

http://www.lemon64.com/   -   http://www.lemon64.com/games/

http://www.c64.com/

http://www.gamebase64.com/

https://c64g.com/ (so so)

Games that I had enjoyed playing on the C64: (not necessarily a complete list but ones that comes to mine)

ACE 2

Gunship

Arctic Fox

Cybernoid

Cybernoid 2

Laser Squad

Airborne Ranger

The Last Ninja series of games

Project Stealth Fighter

Crazy Comets

Armalyte

Delta

Dynamoid

Elite

Eliminator

Gradius

Panther

Paradroid

Parallax

Terminal City

Katakis

Koronis Rift

Ocean Ranger

Zone Z

There's a short list.

Sep 3, 16 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Can grand theft auto be played on the emulator? What about assassins creed?
Sep 4, 16 6:41 am  · 
 · 
midlander

what was the reason for owning/playing a c64 over something like a nintendo or sega? i have never seen one of these things in person.

Sep 4, 16 11:14 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Atari 2600 was my first console.  That was like 1985. 

Sep 4, 16 11:20 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

The c64 was a computer, comparable to either an IBM or apple at the time, rather than a game console like a Nintendo. I was able to write text based games on a dos box long ago, but instead of dwelling on it for decades I moved on with my life and accomplished other things. Never had a commie. We were always an ibm/clone family

Sep 4, 16 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

midlander, curt kind of answered the question. my parents had a C128 which came with the C64 built-in. Its interesting to see how many architects have backgrounds in programming as a hobby. With a book and a few hours you could program basic games in the C64. Many of the games could be hacked and edited. Thats not so easy with a stictly gaming console. Before the C64 there was the C16 which for kid hobbyiest where I lived at the time (not US) was the legit programmers toy.

Sep 4, 16 1:52 pm  · 
 · 

Olaf, 

You mean before the C64 was the VIC-20. The C-16 came out around 1984 with the Plus/4.

Sep 4, 16 6:09 pm  · 
 · 

I have some acquaintance with Bil Herd who worked on the Commodore 128 and the Plus/4 (and to some extent the Commodore 16.).

The Commodore 16 (C-16) was part of a family of computer models including the Plus/4.

Lessons learned in the relative failure in the Plus/4 and family of computers (market-wise) compared to the long selling Commodore 64, several of those lessons were implemented in the Commodore 128.

Sep 4, 16 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Fucking Amazeballs

Sep 4, 16 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

he removed his comments. 

Sep 4, 16 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Great research sutures. Keep it up. Let's shut this Dick down.
Sep 4, 16 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

"I have some acquaintance with Bil Herd who worked on the Commodore 128"

Fair question - have you ever talked to him in real life, face-to-face, for an actual conversation?

Sep 4, 16 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
Schoon

Click on his username to see his other 20 comments, like this one claiming himself once again to be a building designer.

Sep 4, 16 8:04 pm  · 
 · 

Bench,

What is it with your incessant need for face to face communication? 

Software/Video game developers don't have that incessant need for face to face conversations. 

Sep 4, 16 9:13 pm  · 
 · 

Imagine all the great architecture Balkins brags about to his coding 'friends' because he has acquaintances through the users on this forum. Anyone work on the Amazon project in Seattle? By your acquaintance Balkins could tell all the Amazon coders where the best place to code is in the biomes, and they haven't even finished construction. What about the Google project by BIG, anyone work on that. Balkans could explain where all the best places to code are in the project to an employee of Google if you did ... and that thing is really not even a schematic level project at this point.

Sep 4, 16 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

just let me know if you decide to go to a movie theater, just so i can get SWAT prepped Ballskid.

Sep 4, 16 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

Back in 2009 when Balkins was being threatened with banishment from his Commodore world, he tried to do damage control with this little revelation:

I don't know how to program in machine language nor did I know it then with the Doom project several years back. I have lied and misrespresented my skills and knowledge in regards to this project and elsewhere then and upto now. I apologize for all the troubles, anger, and hurt feelings that my actions have done or cause. I can not change what has been done but I can work to change how I do things in the future with help perhaps. Habits can difficult to change right away. It is difficult to ask for forgiveness because it is like asking for something undeserved. What I will do is work to change my behavior and work on my writing to be more clear. I will also work to restrain from posting or commenting on topics that I am not very familiar with.

It's disturbing that it's 7 years later and all he's done is moved his lies, exaggerations, and pontificating on subjects about which he knows nothing to a different profession and forum. He's admitted here that he makes a habit of lying and misrepresentation.  So what happened to getting help to work to change how he did things in the future?  And when do we get our apology?

Sep 4, 16 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Balkins Gremlins 2

Sep 4, 16 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Rick I was in Europe at the time and the kid me and my buddy looked up to was an ace on C16.  He would modify the code for Load Runner (I think) right in front of us.  We were like 10 and he was 13, so to be honest there probably were other models between the 16 and 64, but why the hell would we know?  This same kid also modified hardware in joysticks to beat games.  One day he pretended to hack into a US military base, I say pretended because I later learned how to write the simple code that makes the screen look like the movies, etc...

At the time my buddy's mother's boyfriend had an Amiga and he had games like Leisure Suit Larry.

Richard, I recommend you practice some social skills on Leisure Suit Larry and once you beat the game let us know.

That game and can't find the other a wargame, can't remember were my favorite Amiga games.

With regard to DOOM, you didn't need to know how to program (circa 1993-94) to modify a WAD file, I did that as a teenager, switching out the bad guys with Pac-Man's I had made in Pov-Ray (text based rendering engine).  Then I would go on MUDDs and various chat rooms and annoy the shit ou of presumed Adults.  Say the most absurd and false things because after all it's the internet - it's not actually real, right?

Here's my point Richard, I was 10-13 years old when I behaved like that and did pseudo-programming.  You're what? a grown man?

Sep 5, 16 8:52 am  · 
 · 

Richard, I recommend you practice some social skills on Leisure Suit Larry and once you beat the game let us know.

That game and can't find the other a wargame, can't remember were my favorite Amiga games.

With regard to DOOM, you didn't need to know how to program (circa 1993-94) to modify a WAD file, I did that as a teenager, switching out the bad guys with Pac-Man's I had made in Pov-Ray (text based rendering engine).  Then I would go on MUDDs and various chat rooms and annoy the shit ou of presumed Adults.  Say the most absurd and false things because after all it's the internet - it's not actually real, right?

Putting a game like DOOM on the C64 even with the SuperCPU (a 65c816 based cpu accelerator) would have a lot of issue that has to be overcome.

Remember, a person will have to rewrite the core game code that was written in C or C++ for Intel in 65c186 assembly language. This is not an easy feet. There is a lot more issues to overcome. 

1) graphic routines and rendering would have to be completely rewritten. Doom's graphics were for a VGA chip. The closest bet I had was to port from the Super Nintendo but here's the catch.... the SuperCPU version of DOOM used a custom RISC chip and all the graphic routines were built around the Super Nintendo's (Super Famicom) graphic chips. These chips are light years different than the C64's VIC-II chip.

2) The code would have to be rewritten around CBM DOS and disk access. Therefore, one is going to need to read the WAD files. Here's the catch, this can be a bit challenging to do with 1541 Floppy disks. 

Just creating or modifying a WAD file won't cut it. With the 1541 Ultimate II, some of the challenges do in fact become increasingly possible. Remember the C64 doesn't have much of a real 3d engine of any kind. 

Once you dig into researching the work involved in creating DOOM for C64 to the standards and expectations being commanded by the challenge, it becomes increasingly clear that it's just not going to be achieved in the time frame. The work would become incredibly more burdensome.

Yes, you wouldn't need to know how to program to modify WAD files. We all know that. That is not what the challenge is in the first place.

Sep 5, 16 6:08 pm  · 
 · 

Rick I was in Europe at the time and the kid me and my buddy looked up to was an ace on C16.  He would modify the code for Load Runner (I think) right in front of us.  We were like 10 and he was 13, so to be honest there probably were other models between the 16 and 64, but why the hell would we know?  This same kid also modified hardware in joysticks to beat games.  One day he pretended to hack into a US military base, I say pretended because I later learned how to write the simple code that makes the screen look like the movies, etc...

True, but you would have known if he hacked into a US military base. You would have government officials at the door. You don't hack on long distance on a phone where you live. Due to long distance telephone calls on the line, they would see it in the telephone records from the phone company.

It's another thing if one used a radio transceiver and 'modem' with possible hacked electronics.... maybe.

However, you wouldn't want to be stationary or you'll be triangulated and position area known.

Sep 5, 16 6:19 pm  · 
 · 

I'll make it very clear again and again:

The Commodore 64 was released to the market in 1982. The Commodore 16 came out in 1984. The Commodore 16 uses the TED chip and 7502 cpu. The Commodore 16 was a stripped down Plus/4 in a Commodore 64 / VIC-20 style case with a different color plastic.

Sep 5, 16 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

so did you get the girl to take her top off yet in leisure suit larry? the hottub scene

Sep 5, 16 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

So, let me get this straight- per your comments on The Daily Astorian, you offer architectural services to the Warrenton community, in an open letter, on a web forum?  Isnt this a violation of licensing law? You clearly offered design services to a public agency for a non-exempt project.  Secondly, this was only four months ago...did you forget your own incompetence in the AIBD thread?  Good god, man! What a douche.

Sep 5, 16 9:28 pm  · 
 · 

JeromeS,

It depends on the size of the library. If it's under 4,000 sq.ft. ground area, it's would be an exempt building and the services would be building design. If the building is over 4000 sq.ft., an architect would be brought on-board before any designing begins.

I also know a few architects that I can collaborate with on project like that. 

If you look at the existing library in Warrenton, its less than 2000 sq.ft. You don't jump from ~1500 sq.ft. to $15,000 sq.ft. or 25,000 sq.ft. or 50,000 sq.ft.

PS: It's a lot easier to address code related matters when you are not in a time critical response time of 1 hour or less to dozens of questions buy a dozen people ganging up throwing questions upon questions.

In addition, design direction effects design requirements and code requirements.

Sep 5, 16 10:05 pm  · 
 · 

so did you get the girl to take her top off yet in leisure suit larry? the hottub scene

I haven't yet look for the download to download and run in an emulator.

Sep 5, 16 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
"I also know a few architects that I can collaborate with on project like that. "

Those poor saps. Balsly, you don't even have the competence to design a tool shed let alone offer services to a public institution. Stop selling yourself so highly; you're a hack and a fraud with no discernible skill.
Sep 6, 16 2:31 am  · 
 · 

N.S.

The existing library of Warrenton is about 1300 sq.ft. 

Sep 6, 16 5:33 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Which is way above your skill level.
Sep 6, 16 6:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: