Archinect
anchor

Gold nuggets, PSAs, and dumpster fire reconstructions: RWCB Distilled

Bored at work and looking for something to pass the time? We've got you covered!

Tired of looking through all the other threads for gold nuggets? Look no more! 

Got some advice from some guy in Astoria? Consider this a Public Service Announcement (with guitars)!

Heard about that great dumpster fire of a thread, but don't feel like reading through all the pages? We've reconstructed it for you here!

Posting guidelines: 

1. This thread is for distilled elements from other threads and your reactions to it. Do not respond directly to quoted material here (you too Balkins). Go to the original thread to respond directly. However, feel free to post your reactions to the quoted material.
  2. Distill the original discussion you are posting to the essentials (give us the moonshine that will make us go blind).
  3. Post a link to the original discussion (for posterity's sake).
  4. Don't limit yourself to Archinect hosted content. If you found Balkins' gold nuggets (aka iron pyrite, amiright?) somewhere else, feel free to distill it down for us here. 
  5. Follow the format below so it is clear who said what and so these posts can easily be distinguished from the reactions and inevitable tangents that will happen here as well.

Dear NCARB: (page 1)

RickB-OR: "If you really think I can't or don't know how to develop software, I'll prove I can even to this day."

RickB-OR: "Even if only 5000 paid $30 on the software, that's $150K. That would take care of the student loans and then some.

gruen: "Rick. Go make your $150k. Please."

tduds: "Do it."

RickB-OR: "If I am going to spend more than 10 hours a week on projects, I'm going to need to be paid to legitimize the time spent."

RickB-OR: "To make it clear, I am not interested in investing more than 10 hours a week or more than 250 hours on something without pay or even the conception of being paid. There has to be some perceivable amount of return to make it legitimize the time spent."

no_form: "But wait, there is a user base of 5000 people. And each one of those users wants a copy of your game. That's $150k you said."

Sep 2, 16 12:46 pm

30 year old professional photographer, shifting to architecture (Page 1)

jla-x: "I don't think there are any licensing requirements in India."

jla-x: "If I'm correct would you mind taking someone to fulfill their dreams of being an architect...we have a guy named Rick Balkins who we would like to export."

Venit: "Not just licensing requirements - let's say there are no laws in India for anything, period"

RickB-OR: "India's bureaucracy? The kind that only a Vogon can love."

no_form: "Note: Richard Balkins, RickB-OR, RWCB_PBD, does not hold an NAAB-accredited degree or foreign equivalent.  He is not a licensed architect in the United States or abroad.  He is not an experienced design professional."

Venit: "^ I like it everytime you give me that info, makes me feel RickB-OR is really a civil engineer afterall.."

Everyday Intern: "Note: Richard Balkins, RickB-OR, RWCB_PBD, is not a civil engineer afterall."

Sep 2, 16 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

How to Design a Bridge in Africa

Blast from the past, but a classic nonetheless.

RickB-Or: 

Okay.... ecological materials... Ok. Where is this bridge? Explain the project a bit. What materials precisely are no no and okay. Ecological materials can have various meaning between different people. Is wood ecological or isn't ecological? I like to know that. 

Codes and engineering standards will require some use of reinforced concrete due to seismic zone requirements unless you are anchoring into a pretty consolidated bolder of very hard rock like granite or basalt that is as big as a car or something when the footing only needs to be small. 

What kind of bridge? Pedestrian or Vehicular?

I could do some of this if it were appurtenant to an exempt building. I don't know if you are permitted to practice architecture and designing bridges unless it is appurtenant  to a building such as a bridge that is structurally connected to the building.

JeromeS:

Is a bridge an "exempt" structure in Oregon?

RickB-Or:

In a very limited fashion... it can be... If it were say on one end attached and part of a house for example. Another example is a house that is a bridge at the same time. It can be if you are creative enough.

As a stand alone... maybe not. We don't see alot of cases like that for a case analysis. In other places, the wording of exemptions varies and I know a few places where it could potentially be exempt. 

Normally, this would be something you would have an engineer. There is a point where it would just simply prudent to have an engineer.

It is one thing if it is a pedestrian walk bridge over a very very small stream. It is another thing when you are spanning considerable distance with considerable load. 

There are exemptions in the architect and engineers laws so if you are crafty with a smidged of creativity... you can pull it into the exemption but you better know what you are doing and use good sense of judgement on whether you should get an engineer or not.

It is something that if you don't know what you are doing (whether a building designer or architect), the B.O. may require an engineer to prepare some of the drawings and specifications.

(edit, continues on to copy-paste the definition of structure from some Oregon zoning bylaw)

Jla-x:

Are cheeseburgers exempt in Oregon?

Sep 2, 16 2:02 pm  · 
 · 

Also, just to point out that this thread is not all about Richard's faults ...

Thread Central (page 1152)

RickB-OR: "A deviation or deviant side track:

[Image (unfortunately the link to the image is broken)]

We've talked about architecture that looks like a male part. Now, the ethereal sexuality of lighting. LOL!"

Non Sequitur: "Ha, boobs."

tintt: "Ha ha ha. Good one Rick."

JeromeS: "RWCB-PBD- That was your greatest post ever." 

Olaf Design Ninja_: "no one has ever complained about boobs. 80085"

shuellmi: "awesome!"

Donna Sink: "Ouch that image fucking hurts."

tintt: "It hurts?"

Non Sequitur: "Tintt, maybe those suspended lights bring back painful tassel memories for Donna."

Everyday Intern: "Kudos Richard. That photo just made my morning."

Sep 2, 16 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

How to Design a Bridge in Africa

kjdt: "you're talking about residential decks in Oregon, when the OP is asking about a half-mile bridge across a river in Africa."

Sep 2, 16 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Wow, a troll tribute!

Someone will be pleased at all the attention and labor spent by their sworn enemies...

Sep 2, 16 2:46 pm  · 
 · 

citizen, in case you missed it in the Dear NCARB: thread ... I'm just admitting that we're stuck with Balkins and we might as well have some fun with it. 

"I've come to the realization that since it appears that Archinect is unwilling to ban Balkins, there is nothing we can do about this except to accept it, own it, and have some fun with it (more on that later).

Congrats Balkins! You just became the studio project that got started all wrong but we were to stupid to know it. We wanted to like you but realized too late in the semester that we couldn't fix you. It was already to late to start over with something new, and no amount of photoshop was going to put enough lipstick on that pig to make it better. Instead, the only option was to pin that turd on the wall, shine it up as much as we could, and archispeak our way out of it hoping to make it out of the final review alive with whatever shred of dignity we could manage to cling to."

Sep 2, 16 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Ah, I get it.

Sep 2, 16 3:01 pm  · 
 · 

Boycott Archinect (Page 1)

Miles Jaffe: "Mods: Pease move this thread to politics where it belongs. Then please delete the politics subforum."

RickB-OR: "Can we keep non-architecture related politics off this forum. Lets keep the political sub-forum ONLY to architecture related political discussions. [...] 

This forum is for discussing architecture. [...] 

Hate and Anger (combined) is the ultimate sin of art and architecture which is about love, creation, and making experience that improves life. When our hearts are filled with murderous hate and anger then how can we be real 'architects' trying to improve the world. [...]

If I was God, Allah or whatever, I would have kicked all the humans off this planet and place them all on a barren moon that would be sucked into a black hole. Then I would cause this planet Earth to explode kind of like what you see in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Thank your lucky stars that I am not God, Allah or any of the names for the Supreme being. Also, thank your lucky stars that I am not the Vogons."

jla-x: "Richard Balkans answer to world peace- 'kill everyone, If they are all dead they can't fight.'"

Sep 2, 16 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Also Balkins has claimed to live over a million human lives.
Sep 2, 16 6:12 pm  · 
 · 

Boycott Archinect (Page 1)

Olaf Design Ninja_: "I would like to boycott boycotting....what a weird word? Boy. Cott. Boy. Cott. Whats the latin root word, anyone google it?"

Miles Jaffe: "boycott / 1880, noun and verb, from Irish Land League ostracism of Capt. Charles C. Boycott (1832-1897), land agent of Lough-Mask in County Mayo, who refused to lower rents for his tenant farmers. Quickly adopted by newspapers in languages as far afield as Japanese (boikotto). The family name is from a place in England."

FRaC: "BOYCOTT RICHARD BALKINS, ASSoc. AIA!!!1!"

Miles Jaffe: "That's not Richard Balkins, Ass. <cough> AIA. That's Steve Buscemi.

"

Olaf Design Ninja_: "This thread is hilarious. Steve buscemi as Dick Balkins and Johnny Depp as Captain Charles c Boycott in Quentin Tarentino's pulp fiction zombie machete flick - "boycott archinect"......movie trailer - Paris Hilton with arms up and looking hung over "what is archinect?"....Dick Balkins slashes the horny Hilton hands with samurai sword and in a jovial pirate growl "I took the blue pill and I see dead post modern parametric blobs, archinect!"...screen rolls to Johnny Depp infomercial on making the proper grout lines in a white brick wall while he is seated on a 1980 Lada (communist russian car)....big brick flies at screen with roman letter chisseld in stating Big Dick Balkins...Quincy Jones voiceover -" Buscemi is Dick...Dick Balkins and Depp is the Captain - hell yeah archinect hell yeah"..fade to black via Hilton closing her legs....now go get a cigerette."

CD.Arch: Olaf, you're the man! I'd pay money to see that movie.

Olaf Design Ninja_: "Steve Buscemi is Big Dick Balkins in the sequel to the box office hit "boycott archinect"....quincy jones voiceover "Balkins gets the girl with the prosthetic hands, he gets paris, he gets hilton, he gets hit, but bad boy Balkins aint going down without a double helix slice manuever with his El Samurai!"....blackout and then scene from end of previous movie, paris hilton screaming "I have hands, I have hands, but I can't feel the...." Big Dick Balkins is back. That's right children he is back, and he is associated with the AIA in "boycott the boycott fellow archinectors". Film reel flicker and johnny depp as Captian Boycott appears driving his Lada down an empty LA freeway " mr balkins is a good sport, olafs friggin posts - but he should remember the only assholes, hate mongerers, and batt crazy religious zealots you can call idiots are Americans, presumably white and male of course...wait I have mescillin in the trunk."....captain boycott pulls over, opens trunk and flying ninjas in rainbow colors attack...."

Non Sequitur: "Olaf, I think the following best describes how I feel about this excellent movie project:

photo shut_up_and_take_my_money.jpg

Sep 2, 16 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

This has been done before on other forums.  

See this one from one of the software forums he graced with his presence: http://www.yqcomputer.com/666_6081_1.htm  At the bottom of that page there are a list of several other Rick-centric threads.  

A quote from one of them - from 10 years ago! - pretty much sums it up:  The problem is not ignoring you. The problem is ignoring the thread 
degeneration that every one of your posts brings. For me, ignoring you is one of 
the easiest things in the world.

It's difficult to ignore what you bring to the newsgroup, which is plain and 
simple noise. Useless noise. You talk about things you have no experience 
whatsoever with, you mispell like Popeye, you bring self-contradiction every 
two sentences. These are not insults, dude. These are facts, and sad ones.

And this one, from 2004, where somebody made a whole webpage of his nuggets of duh:  https://web.archive.org/web/20041101130336/http://wildstar.hollosite.com/

It just rewards his insatiable attention seeking.  He can't distinguish between good and bad attention.  It's 12 years later and he hasn't matured at all.  It's hopeless.

Sep 2, 16 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Bahahaha!
Sep 2, 16 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

Richard Balkins, born in 1981, attended astoria highschool (1995-1999) and then clatsop community college is one of the few people in the world that really know what they are doing and which dont hesitate to share their knowledge with everyone else in the world.."

i'm still rolling on the floor

Sep 2, 16 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
threadkilla

just going to leave this right here...

Sep 2, 16 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
Seeing Bloopox's post makes me wonder if Ricky has ever been involved in a forum and just quit posting of his own free will? From what I can tell, every forum he's been involved in has either banned him, or the forum has eventually died.

Is Rick like that cat in the old folks' home that will only sit with you if you're about to die?

Maybe it's simpler. Maybe Rick is the blanket infected with smallpox and we either have to reject it, or catch the disease that will kill off most of us.
Sep 3, 16 10:18 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

or kill it with fire.

Sep 3, 16 10:23 am  · 
 · 
no_form
Maybe Rick owns archinect and we just live in it?
Sep 3, 16 11:42 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

If everybody consistently ignored him 100% I believe he'd go away - to some fresh forum where they don't know any better yet and he'd get lots of new negative attention.  It's just that somebody always mentions him eventually and he pops back up.  Every now and then he becomes incensed at something and declares that he's never coming back.  That happened a month or two back on this forum - and he stayed gone for a few days - but then somebody mentioned him, in a sarcastic way of course, and suddenly he popped up again - literally to say "Boo" no less - and once that happened he was back in full force.

On the now-dead AREforum he once agreed to stay within his own thread (actually titled "Containment Boom"), and that worked for all of a week or so, before he oozed out all over everything again.  Why he felt he was qualified to give advice on exam matters still escapes me - but then again he has claimed to be qualified to give advice on dealing with employees, even though he's never had an employee, on the basis that "I'm technically an employer because I applied for an EIN number."  

On the AREforum you could see when people had last visited the forum, whether they posted or not, so behind the scenes we'd bet on how long until he'd post again, and also how long he could actually go without logging in.  Sometimes he could refrain from posting for as long as 2 weeks when he was in a snit and had promised, for the 100th time, never to come back - but the longest he ever went without checking the forum was a matter of hours.  As soon as someone would unwisely make a tongue-in-cheek comment like  "the forum is so nice and quiet without [name that must not be spoken], I almost miss him" he would be back, claiming that we "forced" him to return because we couldn't live without him.  He's an addict. He's never going to stop.  

Sep 3, 16 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

He can't distinguish between good and bad attention.  It's 12 years later and he hasn't matured at all.

Maybe he should seek the GOP nomination.

Sep 3, 16 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Bloop, that's why he just needs to be banned. I didn't realize how truly awful the situation was until I looked back on posts from years ago and realized how collegial and interesting this forum was. I used to learn a lot from experienced people on here. Now it's just RWCB taking a dump everywhere. It's brought out the worst in others and creating a lot of negativity.

A ban is really the only way. Like locking up a murderer. Isolation and containment is the only method left.
Sep 3, 16 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

I agree - but so far the powers that be don't seem to.

After the AREforum died, most of its regulars moved to Coach's ARE forum, and at first he was there too, but Coach banned him after a few months (great decision for that forum).  That's when he moved over here.  He'd posted here occasionally before that, but when he could no longer pretend to reign as test-prep expert, he turned his attention full blast to archinect.

Sep 3, 16 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Maybe this is all some brilliant performance art....

Sep 3, 16 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
You will never get 100% buy in to ignore Balkins. Even if you got all the regulars to agree to it, there are still those occasional posters who wouldn't get the memo.

Even if you can get all the regulars and the occasional posters to agree, you still have new members who wouldn't know any better. And, even if you could get all the regulars, occasionals, and new posters to ignore him ... You still have the random spam that would resurrect old threads and Balkins would see as reason to respond because he can't tell the difference.

The only sensible option is for Archinect to ban him. Paul, are you listening?

Either that, or maybe we could hire some Russian hacker to make it look like Archinect is down anytime someone in Astoria tries to access the site.
Sep 4, 16 11:21 am  · 
 · 
^ two things we can be sure of, 1) Balkins won't stop on his own, and 2) he won't leave Astoria.
Sep 4, 16 11:23 am  · 
 · 
poop876

This is great

Sep 4, 16 11:27 am  · 
 · 
Flatfish

On Coach's ARE forum when he banned Balkins he also deleted every of of the hundreds of posts Balkins ever made - except for one for which deletion would have confused an otherwise informative thread, so that others would never come along and be misinformed by balkinformation.  I hope if he does finally get banned here that would happen too.

Sep 4, 16 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
StarchitectAlpha

I refuse to believe he's real. I think he is one of moderators generating traffic. I mean any thread with him on it is amazing!

Sep 4, 16 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
I've observed that threads of 80 plus posts are typically the result of a Balkins dumpster fire.
Sep 4, 16 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

star, that actually makes sense right. goes around and destroys other websites and lands here. spews anti traditional arch stuff. from the northwest. knows about commodores. you are basically suggesting its...? he also is developing a serial killer profile while at it....

Sep 4, 16 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

The last time I did a Balkin's thread I was ridiculed and had my thread deleted.

Why is this any different? this is bullying now.

Sep 5, 16 4:34 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

is it considered bullying if it's deserved?

Sep 5, 16 8:15 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

the  US social institutions need more bullies, tired of this victimhood shit.  I get it, the weak buy machine guns and shoot everyone else up because their clear inferiority at something is pointed out by an Alpha type, and the only reason their inferiority complexes last so long is that their lack in quality is exagerated and supported by their parent's delusions of the specialness of their child, or their mental conditions are just never dealt with...

Balkin's had it coming, bummer on your thread archiwut.

Sep 5, 16 9:56 am  · 
 · 

I don't consider it bullying. This is nothing more than an aggregation of threads already on the internet. If Archinect has a problem with it, they are free to shut the thread down. However, if they do, I'd expect them to take a hard look at shutting down Balkins as well. If Archinect is shutting down threads for bullying, are they going to shut down Balkins? Many would consider what Balkins does to each thread he touches a form of bullying. 

Sep 5, 16 11:09 am  · 
 · 
no_form
Fuck Balkins. He should have been banned ages ago. Just like he was banned everywhere else.
Sep 5, 16 1:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: