Archinect
anchor

Are Architects arrogant?

wynne1architect@gmail.com

As an architect myself, do you sometimes reflect on the arrogance in our profession?

Sep 2, 16 1:09 pm
Non Sequitur

I'm not arrogant, it's just an unfortunate coincidence that I'm always correct.

Next question.

Sep 2, 16 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

try neurosurgeons or oncologists, you've got nothing on doctors.

Sep 2, 16 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

i've been told by my wife that I'm impossible to argue with, is that the same thing?

Sep 2, 16 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

"try neurosurgeons or oncologists, you've got nothing on doctors."

With the difference that what their arrogance is justified. (Y)ours is purely because no one gives a rats ass about us.

Sep 2, 16 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Not arrogant, just right, all the time.
Sep 2, 16 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

sod; of course.

Sep 2, 16 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

It was once proclaimed proudly that the lights never turn off in the architecture building... so...

Sep 2, 16 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Mightyaa's yep.
Sep 2, 16 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

My first reaction to the question is no, not generally speaking.

Then I recall the occasional concentration of architects (and/or unlicensed designers) I've met over the years when joining studio reviews as a guest critic.  Sometimes I've been caught off guard at the pomposity** of many of them.  It's laughable how superior some act in that setting-- almost cartoonish aloofness, smugness, utter lack of humor.

**I think of it as pompous rather than arrogant, because it seems borne of insecurity rather than actual  accomplishment.  Get over yourself, prick, before someone lands a fist in that smug kisser.  And it just might be mine.  

The nice part, of course, is the group of nice, friendly, smart colleagues I also encounter.  Thank God for normal people.

Sep 2, 16 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

Yes, but most of you guys are nice about it.

I was in a meeting with an architect and we were going over a trim detail that I thought was unnecessary, to much work, and lead to more complications. After about an hour of us going back and forth he looks me dead in the eye with a big smile and says " Am i making your head hurt?"

Sep 3, 16 1:45 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: