Archinect
anchor

freelance work

mj100

Hello-

I will be doing some freelance work soon which will require me to sign and seal drawings. As this is my first time signing and sealing anything, what type of liability insurance should I get? Also, I want to protect my personal property (prepare for the worst and hope for the best...). What would be the best way to do that? Should my house be only in my husband's name? (I live in Florida).

Thanks

Sep 1, 16 7:47 pm
x-jla

I'd be more worried about protecting the house from that hurricane that's headed your way!!! But if your in a community property state not sure putting house in his name will matter?  Form an llc or pllc before you do any thing. 

Sep 1, 16 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
mj100

Can I form an LLC if I already work for someone else? (This is just freelance work)

Thanks

Sep 1, 16 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

........I have been working so hard that I haven't even check about the hurricane!!!! My self study mixed with college I don't even know what is going on in the world...other than Facebook....Facebook pulls me away from my books and other studies. Anyways why would you freelance if you are a licensed? I would start my own firm........

Sep 1, 16 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
mj100

I can't afford to leave my job just yet...

Sep 1, 16 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
mj100

Right now, it would be best if I stayed at my job and did this other work as freelance work.

Sep 1, 16 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

O, ok that makes a lot of sense. I hope to offer architectural visualization services, Drafting services, building design services, and interior decoration services starting 2017. I hope to offer the visualization services to architects, interior designers, contractors and anyone else who would like to use my services. I will be the cheap, but provide everything at my disposal from 200-500 bucks a still to 600-1500 bucks per animation. The size of the project affects the cost greatly. If you or any one else is interested I will be more than happy to provide this along with drafting services in Revit or AutoCAD. I have three online portfolios and can show case my work.

Sep 1, 16 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Whether or not you are employed is irrelevant to form an llc. 

Sep 1, 16 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

Right now  I am working for a building designer for free to get more experience, but the more I study with him the more I know that I can get through a residential project. If there are anybody else who would not mind working with me to help me out with more experience to figure if there are any missing things I need to know. Right now I am doing drafting and architectural visualizations for my current client free of charge and would offer the same to anyone else for a while...I just want to prepare myself as much as I can before I step out on my own. I am also working on a addition for my mom's home that is going quite well and I am almost done I just need to finish a few more drawings and get it to an engineer.

Sep 1, 16 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
mj100

thanks jla-x! I will investigate LLCs.

Sep 1, 16 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Would your current office not be liable if you're not careful in separating yourself from your day job and moonlighting gigs?
Sep 2, 16 3:31 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Form a corporation, but first check with your state board where the project is located to see if it can be an LLC or has to be something else like a C-corp.  None of these are terribly hard to set up.  

Then get insurance, you will need professional liability, some general business insurance, and workers comp.  Get quotes from more than one agent, as prices can vary a lot between carriers.

Have your client contract written to the corporation, and not to you personally.  See if your client will agree to limit your liability to a mutually agreeable monetary amount in the event of a dispute and also agree to mediation of disputes instead or arbitration or the court system.

Do not bring your side job anywhere near your regular employment.

Sep 2, 16 11:33 am  · 
 · 
Brud-G

Form a PLLC (your name, Architect, PLLC) or similar per your state requirements.

What type of work are you going to be doing? If only residential, then insurance may not be a necessity.

Have house and assets in both yours and spouses names.

Sep 2, 16 11:42 am  · 
 · 
mj100

I will be doing mostly restaurant designs (no residential)

Sep 2, 16 2:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: