Archinect
anchor

Grad Program - School "vibes"

Vibes used in title purely for lack of a better word.

Non-arch background, working on apps to MArch programs. I know I value location of school and small class size / student teacher ratio. However, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a resource to get more information on school "VIBES". Reading this forum and many other sites across the web, people say "OH that school is more about computers / building science" or "OH that school is more abstract  / design / theory based" - What's the best way to find this out about the schools on my short list? Looking for some shorthand generalizations to categorize my list.

Sep 1, 16 2:44 pm
lacalr

It's always good to visit the school and see a studio, if this is possible. However that can add up if you visit all the schools on your shortlist. What helped me was looking at past student work, you can even look at the school and people going there, through this website. You could also look through their faculty to see their background and what type of work they focus on. These two things are usually pretty telling of what the school "vibes" will be, but you still wont know how it actually feels until you visit. 

Sep 1, 16 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

Aside from visiting, contact each school and ask to be connected to current students and/or recent alumni from the program.  Contact them via email/phone to gain the "vibe" of the program.  Remember, two students from the same program may share exactly different insights.

Also, contact the faculty in the area to which you are interested.  For graduate studies, faculty should be one of your top criteria.

Best.

Sep 9, 16 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

+1 on talking to faculty.  Meet them in person.

Sep 11, 16 11:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: