Archinect
anchor

Restaurant Stereotypes

wurdan freo

I'm a sucker for a great diner... especially the greek ones, but why are the menus 20 pages long? I almost get anxiety trying to decide what to order...

Sep 1, 16 2:28 pm
wurdan freo

And I'll gobble up pork fried rice, but the best dishes always seem to come from the hole in the wall chineese place thats got some paper lanterns hanging from the ceiling, a picture of the great wall, some wood paneling. Oh and looks like it hasnt been cleaned in 20 years.

Sep 1, 16 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

The greasy pans add flavor

Sep 1, 16 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

HIPSTER FACTORY WITH A NAME THAT COMBINES TWO RANDOM THINGS USING AN AMPERSAND = Every new bourgie restaurant for a while now.  

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/06/29/483306505/why-does-every-new-restaurant-look-like-a-factory

Sep 1, 16 2:44 pm  · 
 · 

Crappy chain restaurants named after an ingredient. Chili's, oreganos,

Sep 1, 16 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

subway tile, cage lights, plywood, vintage signs of food and drink not served because it's too working class/non-artisinal

Sep 1, 16 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Chipotle is the worst place to order lots of food...being rushed down a gauntlet with 30 angry people behind you....and 5 people asking you different questions at once...stressful situation

Sep 1, 16 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Staff that's visibly high.
Sep 1, 16 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Favorite memory from my summer as a red lobster bartender was when we ran out of whipped cream due to the kitchen staff huffing all of it.

Sep 1, 16 11:09 pm  · 
 · 

I share warden freo's love for Greek-style diners, sadly a dying breed. My favorites are the Gramercy Cafe on 3rd Avenue at 17th in New York, and Pann's in all its googie awesomeness in Los Angeles. I'd kill to find a place like Pann's here in Seattle.

Sep 2, 16 12:10 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

girls on roller skates in short shorts at a root beer place.

Sep 2, 16 6:59 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
I went to a tiny Indian place in Ny quite some time ago where you could bring your own beer. I forget where exactly and the name, but damn was it ever good. It was fully decorated with strings of chili-pepper lights and was wide enough for a server to pass a the single file of tables.
Sep 2, 16 7:39 am  · 
 · 
Brud-G

No soup for you!

Sep 2, 16 11:34 am  · 
 · 
molten

@Non

I think I know exactly what restaurant you're talking about -- Milon in the East Village.

Sep 2, 16 11:45 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^YES!

Sep 2, 16 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Love the NPR article. Industrial Chic it is!  I just bid a restaurant that was basically Industrial Chic.... down to the old exposed brick and reclaimed wood siding everywhere.

The photos are great... could be the start of a coffee table book. Not a fan of indian food, but those chile pepper lights are amazing! Reminds me of something by Erwin Redl...

Sep 2, 16 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Yes, Pann's on the way to LAX is a great, traditional coffee shop.  They make a mean waffle that you can soak in melted butter for a trip to breakfast heaven.  Unbelievably good.

And I LOVE that interior photo above with the ceiling of a million lights... it looks like having dinner inside of an exploding firework!

Sep 2, 16 8:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: