Archinect
anchor

Did anyone get into a top notch architecture grad program without an architecture undergrad degree?

archKash

So I more of the artistic b-personality creative type and it seems like Architecture is a decent option for me. I did the Intro Columbia program over the summer and really love it. The only problem is that I found this out too late since I was working after High School and started my undergrad last year when I was 20. My school doesn't offer any engineering or architecture majors but there is a comp sci major that I found too difficult- even though its an amazing and useful field. So basically I am probably majoring in the Finance with hopefully a minor in Comp Sci. The problem is with time (and guidance). I often look at portfolios on Issuu from people who were accepted to programs like GSD, SOA, GSAPP... and they are amazing! But it seems like they all did their undergrad in architecture. The basic question is -did anyone apply to good programs with unrelated backgrounds? If so, are you held to the same level of scrutiny? Is it maybe an advantage? I know that majors like CompSci and Physics will fit in well with creating intelligent designs. Finance on the other hand... I figure that it will benefit me down the road if I were to open a firm. Its not something that inspires me like architecture. 

Aug 30, 16 6:06 pm
archKash

sorry for the rambling

Aug 30, 16 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

About a third of my class, in a top-ranked M.Arch program, were students from majors other than architecture and other peripherally-related majors (art, planning, photography, graphic design, etc.).  That third came from all sorts of things - Chemistry, English, Economics...  

First-professional M.Arch programs try to get a diverse class.  As an applicant without a studio background you'll be held to the same standard in the sense that you'll still have to have a strong body of visual work - but you won't be expected to have done the types of studio projects that generate the work that you've been looking at on issu.  If you have a decent portfolio of creative work, have taken the prerequisites that the school has (usually 1 or 2 drawing courses, calculus and/or physics, an architecture history course), and you have a respectable GPA and some good recommendations, then you have as good a shot as anyone.

That said, if you see yourself as an artistic, creative type then you may very well enjoy architecture school - but you may not enjoy actually working in the field quite as much.  That's not an absolute - but it's a possibility.  Before you invest years of tuition and lost earning potential in grad school, try to find out if you're well suited for the architecture firm experience.  See if you can get an internship in a firm - or at least shadow someone in a firm for a day or a week.  Talk to architects in person.  

Aug 30, 16 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

This clown again?

Drop us some portfolio examples to gauge your skill level.

Aug 30, 16 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
archKash

what?

Aug 30, 16 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
archKash

clown? excuse me?

Aug 30, 16 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I remember you looking for 6figure salaries in architecture without knowing the first thing about the profession. T'is al.

Aug 30, 16 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
archKash

Six figures is doable in architecture if you open your own firm and know what you are doing. I spoke with professors from GSAPP about that. But really why call me a clown? The reason we post questions is because we don't know. See how that works?

Aug 30, 16 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

Welcome to architecture. Many people in this field are smug prick know it alls. 

Aug 30, 16 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Clown it remains. How do you plan on making mad cheddar without knowing what it is we architects do?
Aug 30, 16 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
archKash

He's just a troll at this point.

Aug 30, 16 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
No troll, just adding a dose of reality to your questions.
Aug 30, 16 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
archKash

Reality- I'm a clown for asking a question?

Aug 30, 16 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Nope, a clown for expecting mad dollar bills to find their way to your pockets just because.

What work so you have or plan to have for application to "top schools" anyways? Sporty basically said above the same thing as I but with more words.
Aug 30, 16 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
cipyboy

I read Joshua Prince Ramus of REX had a Philosophy degree before he went on with architecture.

some schools offer a 3 year M.Arch program for non- architectural undergrad, thats the standard these days. 

Aug 31, 16 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
Venit

haha, i laughed going through some of the replies :D

Anyways, can you all please tell me WHICH grad school programs did you go to? Like names of the institutes which take grads with no bachelors in Arch? Is there anywhere else like in the US, like Germany? Also, will I always keep asking so many questions? 

Sep 1, 16 1:36 am  · 
 · 
lacalr

There are a lot of schools in the US that take grads with no Arch background, it will just be a three year program instead of 2. Like cipyboy stated, it's the standard these days. It's easy enough to search by name of school and then just go to their programs page to see if they offer a three year degree. 

Sep 1, 16 4:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: