Archinect
anchor

ADA Shower - Vertical Grab Bar

lacalr

Does current ADA standards require a vertical grab bar in a shower compartment?

I have looked at the most recent ADA standards that their website points you too which is 2010, also odd why a newer version hasn't come out. And this version has nothing on a vertical grab bar. However when I look at the 2009 ANSI Code book it says I do need a vertical grab bar in a shower compartment. Various suppliers and manufacturers also have a vertical grab bar listed. Has anyone looked into this before? I am located in Seattle however I do not know of any amendments concerning this in my region. If you do have an answer for me could you also point me to where you found it? 

Thanks!

Aug 29, 16 12:45 pm
JLC-1

I had to add a vertical grab bar in a toilet compartment a couple years back even if I showed the building official the 2010 ADA manual, for some reason they go by the ANSI book.

There is no clear answer, I would say ask your building dept. and go with that.

Aug 29, 16 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

If showering with a friend, the vertical grab bar might appear on its own!   :o)

Aug 29, 16 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew.Circle

ANSI ICC 117.1-2009 is the current accessibility standard referenced by my local jurisdiction's building code (OBC), and I believe the International Building Code as well. 117.1 requires vertical grab bars in accessible stalls.

Odd thing is, if ADAAG has stricter standards than 117.1, the ADAAG standards should be followed instead of 117.1. Never run into this though, so I'm not sure what those standards would be.

Aug 29, 16 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

ANSI A117.1 is included, by reference, in the IBC.  Therefore any jurisdiction adopting/modifying the IBC is likely enforcing the 117.1. 

2010 ADA is a federal law.  It is not, technically, a building code.  It may be adopted as an accessibility standard by a jurisdiction.  Otherwise, compliance is mandatory, simply because it is a law. 

In the event that one standard is more stringent than the other, you always use the more stringent one.  Most codes and standards have verbiage to this effect.  And, most jurisdictions have some wording in their rules/laws to that effect.  

Aug 29, 16 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

+1 to Andrew.Circle and senjohnblutarsky. 

It surprises me how many architects think ADA is in the code and have never heard about ANSI 117.1. 

For Seattle, here is the code referencing ANSI 117.1. Also note the big box with a note about ADA at the top of the page.

http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/cs/groups/pan/@pan/documents/web_informational/s047850.pdf

Aug 29, 16 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
lacalr

Thanks for the answers! I've gotta follow ANSI here it appears. The state of WA requires you to use ANSI first and then the federal ADA laws. Just like ya'll said!

@citizen: I'll make sure they know that a shower partner is always a substantial substitution to a vertical grab bar ;)

Aug 29, 16 2:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: