Archinect
anchor

Non-architect with the hopes of applying to a MArch program...advice??

videograms

Hello!

This is the first time I post about this, hope to find some good advice out there.

I've been out of undergrad for about a year now and I've become increasingly convinced that I should have entered into an architecture program due to some strong interests of mine. 

To avoid rambling I'll give some quick facts. 

• I graduated from NYU with a double major in Politics & Filmmaking with a focus on documentary filmmaking/visual anthropology. 
  • Most, if not all of my movies deal with urbanism/architecture in some way shape or form.
  • I just finished a specialization in an urban development lab in Colombia researching urban policy development. 
  • Currently interning for a collective of artists/architects helping to develop some events and projects around Colombia and abroad. 
  • I'll be traveling to Mexico in December to start working with a cultural development office.
  • No formal architecture training. No clue how to manage programs other than the basic (illustrator, photoshop, video editing software) 

Confusing, I know. However, I feel like I'm young enough (23) to make some shifts and changes. 

My grades in undergrad were decent (with honors), and I feel pretty pretty confident with taking the GRE. Also, understanding the financial cost involved, I'm willing to make the commitment.

From what I can tell, I'd ideally want to apply to a school that mixes urban design and architecture. My main research interests involve public space development but I'd ideally like to get an all encompassing view of the field.

My main questions are:

1. Without an architecture portafolio to show, what do admissions councils look at with non-arch applicants?
  2. I'm going to give myself at least a year to develop my application, what should I start to hone in on? Jobs? More school? 
  3. What work could be supplemented into the portafolio? 
  4. If I were to take continuing education courses to gain a solid base for entering into a M.Arch program, what would be recommended (Calc? Theory? Natural Science?) Since I studied humanities and social sciences in undergrad, my bases in math and science are shaky to say the least...

I'm aiming to apply to some of the higher ranked schools in the US and Europe (Goldsmiths, Harvard GSD, Mit Arch or DUSP), which makes me nervous since I assume that most students applying are architects (and probably have a better gpa than me haha). 

So, before filling this post with any more rambling doubts and insecurities. Any initial advice? I'm trying to give myself time and space to really prepare to apply. 

Thanks! :D

Aug 29, 16 11:40 am
DeTwan

Any initial advice...dont do it...

By the time you finish any Master's program youll be several years older without much real world experience, making it hard to convince potential employers that you are of value without a CV or resume to highlight these 'real world' skill...ie. Make them money, and fast.

You should read up a little more on the architecture industry before making the dive, for it is a deep one.

Aug 29, 16 4:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: