Archinect
anchor

If not an Architect, what else would you be?

no_form

Hey RickB-BSMNT, what do you do when you see your own shadow?  You're such a scared little boy.  Why do you swim with us sharks?

Aug 29, 16 7:03 pm  · 
 · 

E_I,

People don't put that much money in architectural design. Sorry but people don't value architects that much. There is a lot more money fueling the computer and software industry than the money invested in licensed architects. 

In other words, people don't like or value architects. You just produce a bunch of ugly gibberish drawings of butt ugly buildings.

Aug 29, 16 7:06 pm  · 
 · 

Hey RickB-BSMNT, what do you do when you see your own shadow?  You're such a scared little boy.  Why do you swim with us sharks?

no_form, you are a shit fly.

Aug 29, 16 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Wtf....reincarnation memory?  A million life times would be roughly 40-80 million years...humans weren't even around that long...Were you a giant land sloth before being reincarnated into a human?  Also, are you really a virgin? 

Aug 29, 16 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

philosopher. like plato, but more rabbid dialectically in a swiss mountain somewhere.

Aug 29, 16 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

philosopher. like socrates, but more anarchistic in all thought coming down from a mountain in switzerland to talk to the plebes and lesser mensches.

Aug 29, 16 7:13 pm  · 
 · 

Rick, what part of "if you were not an Architect, what else would you be" did you not understand from the original question?

The lack of money in architecture has nothing to do with no_form being a rich guy if he's not an architect. You're also presupposing that people wanting to get out of architecture and into something else are doing it for the money.

Seriously, why do you stick around here? You claim there is no value to being an architect, all we produce is ugly gibberish, we've repeatedly pointed out how you have no future in this profession or it's close semantic cousin of building design, you've even commented that you aren't pursuing architecture anymore. So why are you here? 

Go ahead and answer the OP's question. "[Now that you are never going to be] an architect what else would you be?" If it is a software developer so be it, go start slumming it in software development forums.

Aug 29, 16 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

the narcissist emerges, "So fuck you you little peon human being who never seen more than one planet." RickB-BSMNT believes he is a God.  

"you'll be in a pine box for a century."  which is it, RWCB?  Do I get to live over a million human lifetimes like you or just this one time?   

"last I recall, employees of architects don't make that kind of money."  last i recall you make no money.  when the next recession rolls around I hope your parents have enough savings to keep their house, car, and food on the table.  otherwise you may have to emerge from your BSMNT and find a job.  

Aug 29, 16 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

So my architecture firm employees are "slaves", because they've given up the freedom to sit in an attic all day publishing misinformation on the internet?  Rick do you really believe you have more freedom? As a middle-aged man with 40k in student loan debt but no degree or career to show for it, who regularly complains about the oppression of his overbearing parents and about how he won't even have the pocket money to eat lunch on the community college campus should he return for his 12th year of community college? You're halfway through your earning years, with no savings, no mobility, no professional skills or marketability, and no prospects to dig yourself out of that hole - how is that freedom? 

Aug 29, 16 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

wow, took only a few posts for Rick to kill a fun thread. directly or indirectly.

Aug 29, 16 7:32 pm  · 
 · 

Rick, what part of "if you were not an Architect, what else would you be" did you not understand from the original question?

no_form, suggested being a rich person. Good luck with that. You don't just become one because you wish it would be so. 

The lack of money in architecture has nothing to do with no_form being a rich guy if he's not an architect. You're also presupposing that people wanting to get out of architecture and into something else are doing it for the money.

You don't just become one. You need to choose a path that leads to riches where the money is. You won't get there by being in a field where people don't invest in. Sorry, people invest in buildings not architects or architectural drawings. The only reason you even have a job as a licensed architect or anyone even commissioning architects is because of the licensing law. If there wasn't one, there would be absolutely zero demand for a person who only produces drawings. You would be making less money than what artists typically makes. The contractors would be designing the buildings. 

Aug 29, 16 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

RickB-BSMNT, you're a chicken shit coward.  go get therapy loser.  

Aug 29, 16 7:39 pm  · 
 · 

You're still missing the point.

If curtkram can become a single drop of rain and Non Sequitur can become a house plant, then no_form can become a rich guy. None of that 'becoming' has anything to do with how much money they are currently able to make as an architect. It is imaginary.

Aug 29, 16 7:39 pm  · 
 · 

So my architecture firm employees are "slaves", because they've given up the freedom to sit in an attic all day publishing misinformation on the internet?  Rick do you really believe you have more freedom?

They given up the freedom to control the design. They given up the ability to design their vision of a building. They give up the ability to make the $150K to $200K in profits so they work for $40K to 60K a year.

They gave up over $100K to $125K in earnings a years for $40K to $60K. Software developers makes $100K a year straight at entry level in Silicon Valley area. That's at 0 years of experience.

Interns in architecture would be making only $5000 more a year after 10 YEARS working for their employer than they would fresh out of college.

In software development, the owners typically pockets $1 Million or more a year once they get the ball rolling with the business. Architect business owners are lucky to have a personal take home of $250K.

You would have a hell of a time even finding a VC to even invest in your business because architects don't produce anything that generates a ROI. Land Developers... sure. Architects... no. Building plans like what you produce, you'd be lucky to sell that plans to another person for $20. You're drawings aren't what people value. You don't produce the building. The contractor/builders are the ones that makes it happen. People think what architects do is over inflated. They think architects only causes projects to cost more than the budget allocated by throwing in over priced novelties that is not required except only in the eyes of the architect. The drawings in themselves aren't even valued by art galleries so why would people want to spend $100K or $250K on you? 

The only reason they commission you is because of the licensing laws in order to get the permits. If there wasn't the licensing laws, the architects would not have any business. There would be zero money spent on drawings other than printing shop costs.

Your drawings don't make investors / VCs any money... especially if the drawings are only used once. 

Aug 29, 16 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Motorcycle gangster.
Aug 29, 16 7:55 pm  · 
 · 

So why are you trolling an architecture forum? To point out that we don't make much money? Preaching to the choir Ricky. We all know that ... better than you do. 

Aug 29, 16 7:55 pm  · 
 · 

E_I,

Why would you enslave yourself to such a shitty pay in a field where you are laid off about every 10 years (give or take) and it takes about 1 to 2 to 3 years just to get re-employed?

Why?

Maybe....I'll do the same damn thing as DeTwan and Piggy and others have done as a service to this profession by steering people away from it. The U.S. doesn't need any new buildings to be built. Not for another... ol' 150 YEARS.

Aug 29, 16 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Hunter S. Thompson

Aug 29, 16 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

Rick half my projects are residential.  That doesn't need a license here.  My clients are free to hire a builder to design their homes, and yet they hire me because they value my work.  I have work, employees, and money because I have skills that are in demand.  You do not have any of those things, because you have no skills or experience, and because you're lazy, fearful of the world, unwilling to be the low man on the totem pole long enough to learn anything, and generally disagreeable.

I've been laid off twice in my career.  Once it took 4 months to find the next job, the second time it took 3 weeks.  Both times were huge steps up in pay and fortunate events for me.  You're choosing not to work, and hence not making any progress in your career at all, because you're afraid you might get laid off in 10 years and it might take you a year to find another job? How would that be worse than where you already are?

If I wasn't an architect I would train to compete in the Olympics in archery.

Aug 29, 16 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Ernest Hemingway

Aug 29, 16 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Kilgore Trout

· 
awaiting_deletion

Kurt Vonnegut

· 
awaiting_deletion

An Anglo-Irish philosopher whose primary achievement would be the advancement of a theory called "immaterialism" (later referred to as "subjective idealism" ). This theory would deny the existence of material substance and instead contend that familiar objects like tables and chairs are only ideas in the minds of perceivers, and as a result cannot exist without being perceived.

Aug 29, 16 8:13 pm  · 
 · 

kjdt,

Why would I want to be the low man on the totem pole when I can make more money just on crowdfunding alone for a video game than what you would pay me or any intern?

Why would I move to New York City or wherever the f--- you are where it would cost me $10K+ in moving expenses and rent down payment?

Perhaps, over the past 8 years or so, I had became embittered with this profession. The reason I am still here is I had already invested money, emotion, time and heart, into pursuit of this profession.

Aug 29, 16 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

I'm not in NYC - I'm in a place smaller than where you live.  

You've been talking about crowd funding a game for several years already.  Those are several years in which you again did not rise above poverty level and did not gain any useful experience.  You're all talk and no action.  Meanwhile I've been investing 15% of my earnings since I first got out of grad school, even in my early "low man on the totem pole" days, slow and steady, and have done better than I ever imagined.  If you'd have done the same thing you wouldn't be worrying about apartment security deposits, lunch at community college, and other trivialities. You think like a child - all excuses and avoidance of fear and discomfort.  All short-term and short-sighted.

I tried to hire you once - but you couldn't even send me a resume or any work samples.  You claim to be a building designer but you don't actually want any work.  What's the point of this pretend career? What do you get out of it?

Aug 29, 16 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Your drawings don't make investors / VCs any money... especially if the drawings are only used once. 

Rick, I've abstained from slamming you in the past.... And this is where you an idiot.  Architects do not sell drawings, nor have they ever.  They sell ideas and the drawings are simply the medium we use to try and convey the vastly organized thoughts behind the design and coordination that reflect experience and a vast knowledge of the entire spectrum of the built environment.   

This is why you were ripped on your little sketch. You'd think by now you'd 'get it' about how complex the built environment is and how architects can organize all these vast bits and pieces into something that can be built and will work the first f'n time.  

Because I can write and have a vivid imagination, that doesn't mean you can just get rid of a novelist because I can hit a print button.  It's a lot more than being able to form a proper sentence and create a readable paragraph...  Wipe out your notions of the medium used to convey information as the product you sell.  

We sell very intentional, thought out lines on paper.  The wrong lines cost a lot of money to fix, and/or can create awful places to be, and the right ones make lots of money because they are places you and your clients want to be.  We sell the right lines because we are trained to know what that takes.  Go elsewhere if all you peddle are lines on paper.

Aug 29, 16 8:44 pm  · 
 · 

kjdt,

Did I or did I not request a private email address to send such a resume?

If I recall correctly, you did not provide that information.

Aug 29, 16 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

As for crowdfunding a video game: only about 35% of crowdfunding campaigns with goals of over $500 are successful.  Of the successful campaigns, the average amount raised is $7000.  So to make more in 1 year than the entry-level base salary of an architecture employee  (not including any benefits) you'd have to complete about 6 to 7 successful campaigns per year  - which means that if you have an average success rate you'd need to start 20 campaigns per year.  Which means you shouldn't be wasting time here.  

And you recall incorrectly - I did provide that address, and you even contacted me at it, but you did not follow through in providing any qualifications or any work samples so that I could know what you're capable of.

Aug 29, 16 8:50 pm  · 
 · 

Not even kidding: I sort of want to be a postman with a walking beat. At the end of the day, you're finished.

Aug 29, 16 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

Yeah, I like the postman idea too.

Aug 29, 16 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
Schoon

If I wasn't doing AE I'd want to be a production designer or set engineer for films.  Maybe the latter is still possible...  The behind-the-scenes stuff for movies like Interstellar is fascinating to me. 

Either that, or a forest ranger.

Aug 29, 16 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Balkins
Aug 29, 16 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
*Balkins you're a chicken shit coward. Total waste of life meat bag.

So many people wish they could come to America and make a good life for themselves. And all you do is generate co2 and shit. You're pathetic.
Aug 29, 16 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

If I weren't an architect maybe I would be a spy.

Now for the Balkins problem:  I've read about people who were abducted as children and so missed learning how to do everyday things because they grew up in isolation from the world. Part of their transition back to the normal world involves a "life coach" who follows them around and helps them with things like how to open a bank account, write a resume, take public transportation, etc.  I truly think Balkins would benefit from that.  Maybe his first crowd funding thing should be to get him a coach.

Aug 29, 16 9:19 pm  · 
 · 

Steven, I love that the podcast this week talks about how we met over 11 years ago on Archinect. I recall you wanting to be a postman with a walking beat, and I also wanted to be a sex therapist in Aspen, the last time this topic came up: 3,5,10 years ago? Institutional memory, and consistency. Love.

Aug 29, 16 9:20 pm  · 
 · 

mightyaa,

Ideas aren't worth shit. Implementation of ideas are. You don't get patents for ideas. You get patents for implementations. 

They can get a kid to dream up ideas for lollipops. Yes, organized thoughts takes time to put together not a 30 minute sketch at the end of a long day. 

Remember, novelists sells books (the novels) or e-books. However, even novelist needs a mass market because that novel might be $19.99 at Barnes & Noble as an e-book but $69.99 as a hard cover print novel. You need to sell quite a few to earn any real money. People don't spend $25,000 on a novel. 

Do you expect that school teacher to spend an entire year of their meager salary to pay you? Banks loans for construction may not be used for paying architectural / design services. During the recession, they started to prohibit their construction loans for covering architects/designers and all pre-construction services expenses.

That person may only make $50,000 a year. That project would be costing them $550,000 to build that home for their family. They have maybe a $450,000 construction loan. (~80% coverage 'rule'). Add that to the other loan they got to buy the property for $175,000. After the project is completed, they'll convert these short term loans into single mortgage for ~$725,000 that will for a 25 year period. This means, their annual payments is probably around $35K a year average.  Do the math and these poor chaps are paying well over half their individual income. Both parents have to works for close to $50K a year to cover the loan payments and still raise a family on effectively $65K a year.

Do the math, do you expect them to have to suck out $50K of their meager $65K effective household income. They have maybe 18 months from initial contact with you to build completion. How do you expect them to pay for your services?

Come on. All they see from you is a bunch of papers. Even at that, it isn't very well thought out. You're not producing better work than Frank Lloyd Wright which we should be expecting from absolutely EVERY architect trained and completed a 5 year B.Arch. Why aren't you guys got superior level design. Frank Lloyd Wright only had one or two semesters of university. 

Remember, Falling Waters took maybe 2 or 3 hours to draw but like weeks or months being designed in Frank Lloyd Wright's mind. That's just for a schematic / presentation drawing.

How would a 30 minutes off the cuff b.s. drawing going to compare?

What we see in even fully designed and constructed projects by architects often doesn't have much character.

What makes a line the right line? While we can find common text book answers to that but that is someone's idea of what the right line is. I'm not looking at copy and pasting your text book or school professor's answer to that. What is it for you?

What makes a line the right line, to YOU? What make a line not the right line to you?

Aug 29, 16 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

off your meds again Balchchino?

Aug 29, 16 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
RickB-BSMNT your ideas are worthless. Go to job corps and the social security office. "You do realize" mental disorders qualify for social security benefits?
Aug 29, 16 9:46 pm  · 
 · 

Ideas in themselves are cheap like free as air cheap. It is only when ideas are brought into tangible form, and it brings a return on investment and more, that it generates value. That's when the idea in tangible form (intellectual property) gains value. When you develop designs of an idea, in forms of drawings or other documentations, none of that is of any value until it brings in money more than the investment into the idea. VCs and investors are in business to take a risk in putting money behind innovations but they won't stay in business unless they exercise discretion. Before they invest, they expect to see a return on investment in a certain period of time and more. They aren't after just the ROI because of the time the money is tied up. They want more. Ideally, they want to double their investment in 3 to 5 years.

In software development, a software developer does not just produce an abstract design, he/she/they bring the idea to completion and bring it to the market as a product that can be sold. Some projects indeed are cancelled but some of them do have to get completed before any of that work has any value. Before VCs are going to come in with capital, they need to see some real completed work. 

The intellectual property that is created only gains value once its implemented into a 'product' that people buy. That product can be anything from a game to a building. Software developer is also software architect, software engineer and software builder all in one organization.

If land developer organization is also architect, engineer and builder, they become the end to end organization where the whole money is in one vertically integrated 'house' vs. horizontal. 

I can't copyright or patent ideas. I can only copyright or patent implementations of an idea in some tangible form. 

What is an architect producing that someone is going to spend money on? You may value your worth more than what someone else values you. Then what? Your ideas are only worth as much as you can make on the idea. 

If people didn't HAVE to commission an architect, they would ALWAYS not commission an architect because people don't think architects are worth as much as what architects charge. This is because you don't do the full process.

If someone wants a house, what has more value to the client.... an idea for a house in forms of drawings or the actual house.

I can come up with drawings all day about how a computer can be designed and look but at the end of the day, all those drawings and specs isn't worth shit in and of themselves. Only when it is actually used and implemented into an actual product. 

If you don't produce a product then what value do you have ? The value of an artist's idea  in a medium is worth only as much as they the collective value of what people spend on every copy from one or more copies. If I sold 1 Million copies of a video game, the value of that video game idea as implemented equals 1 Million x $_____ per copy. If that was $20 per copy then it earned me $20 Million. If however, there is a steady stream to earn me another 1 Million, the value could be projected to be worth $40 Million.

However, the resale value of the intellectual property is worth only as much to a buyer of the IP as much as they project to be able to make from it. 

Aug 29, 16 10:03 pm  · 
 · 

RickB-BSMNT your ideas are worthless. Go to job corps and the social security office. "You do realize" mental disorders qualify for social security benefits?

Mental disorders have to be assessed by a qualified professional. You can not self-assess it. It has to be assessed by a third-party who is qualified to make that kind of assessment.

Aug 29, 16 10:05 pm  · 
 · 

There is no value to ideas. Ideas have no inherent value. The value is in the implementation of an idea not the idea. 

There are ideas everywhere all the time. There are more ideas in one day than all the stars in the galaxy.

Aug 29, 16 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Thinking is hard.

Ricky, keep both our hands on your penis while at the computer. You'll be much more productive. Also, you're one fucking dumb guy... And I thought the end of the world guy driving his white van downtown was dumb. You've literally taken dumb and sodomized it with a cactus on a stick.
Aug 29, 16 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I'm just about to give up on archinect, thanks 100℅ to Balkins. Who, as far as I can see, is not a troll but rather has moderate Aspergers. Nothing to be ashamed of, but it makes social interaction very difficult for all parties.

To answer the question, I'd be a tattooer or machinist.

Aug 29, 16 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Slurp.

Aug 29, 16 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
trecaines

Not an architect yet, but if i wanted to do anything else it would most likely involve some sort of diplomacy; you know, keep it a social affair. 

Aug 29, 16 11:14 pm  · 
 · 

kjdt,

And you recall incorrectly - I did provide that address, and you even contacted me at it, but you did not follow through in providing any qualifications or any work samples so that I could know what you're capable of.

Where? You never sent an email address to me. I may have tried the Contact mechanism but I don't recall or see in my email records any reply from you with regard to that.

I don't delete a lot of the email I received from people. I'm not talking about spam which would be deleted but I check if the email is spam or not.

If you want a work sample that is demonstrative of my design capabilities more than very limited interior remodel design works, I'll have to do something technically hypothetical as local projects don't really provide the degree of design freedom that can actually demonstrate one's abilities.

Aug 30, 16 12:47 am  · 
 · 
sundanceuiuc

Stand up comic.

Aug 30, 16 1:33 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Rick lives in some sort of bazarro world of limited opportunity, with the end always right around the corner.  I assume that small animals have a similar worldview.

I have a hard time reconciling his pessimism with the lifetime of experience of myself and everyone I know.  

Aug 30, 16 9:05 am  · 
 · 

OK, truth time:

Rick, you're being ridiculous. You need to stop. You've derailed a casual conversation down a path that is only of interest to you. Please stop. Ask yourself if this conversation, this endless re-quoting and responding with walls of text to people who are goading you on, is of any value to anyone?  It makes you angry and it makes others angry.  And it drives people away from what could be a fun conversation.

Please, really. Stop.

Aug 30, 16 9:11 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8
  1. Animator or Cartoonist.
  2. Graphics Designer
Aug 30, 16 9:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: