Archinect
anchor

If not an Architect, what else would you be?

Venit

If you were not an Architect, what else would you be? Or if you regret being an Architect, what do you think is next for you?

Aug 29, 16 3:12 am
Non Sequitur
Either an Astronaut or a house plant.
Aug 29, 16 4:17 am  · 
 · 
martynas1

I know these two are really close and related to each other, but if I wasn't an architect I would like to work in Archviz industry. We are sharing an office with a couple of guys who do renderings and their work seems so much more fun than staring at drawings and communicating with a client the whole time. Maybe I will change it someday, who knows...

Aug 29, 16 7:03 am  · 
 · 

As a licensed architect...hmmm, maybe a public school teacher for an inner city high school?

Aug 29, 16 7:44 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

A chef

Aug 29, 16 7:52 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

I'd do carpentry.

Or brew beer, if I could convince enough people to buy it. 

Aug 29, 16 7:56 am  · 
 · 
midlander

painter or economist

Aug 29, 16 9:57 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

sommelier or tour guide in italy

Aug 29, 16 10:04 am  · 
 · 

Comedy writer, political cartoonist, long-haul truck driver, or a railroad engineer. The latter is about the only option that pays better and offers better job security than architecture.

Sometimes I miss the bullshit jobs I had during high school and early undergrad, like washing dishes at a Sbarro Pizzeria or unloading trucks at the local Target store. The pay was shitty and the bosses were assholes, but it was easy work that didn't require much human interaction and I was never stressed-out about work once my shift was over.

Aug 29, 16 10:20 am  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

Helicopter Pilot, Environmental Conservation Officer, Forest  Ranger, or something else outside and not at a desk all day.

Aug 29, 16 10:46 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I'd probably go back to building cabinets and houses. I'd be better at it with what I know now.

Or start a hard cider business, which is something I've been contemplating for a while.

I'm thinking about doing a development of small, high performance houses. The market near me is ripe for it, at the moment anyway.

Aug 29, 16 11:20 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

financial adviser - sometimes wish i followed my dad's footsteps, would be swimming in $$$ by now

Aug 29, 16 11:32 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Pediatrician, therapist, research Doctor, actress, or working in a factory making something.

Aug 29, 16 11:47 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

a single drop of rain

Aug 29, 16 11:50 am  · 
 · 
zonker

a 3D modeler for video games - I already did that for 11 years, then went into architecture

Aug 29, 16 11:51 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

truck driver, fiction writer, dance choreographer.

Aug 29, 16 11:58 am  · 
 · 

Sex therapist in Aspen.

Aug 29, 16 12:09 pm  · 
 · 

Internet troll

Aug 29, 16 12:11 pm  · 
 · 

or a professional building designer (perhaps they are the same thing).

Aug 29, 16 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
acsookying

Pilot

Aug 29, 16 12:27 pm  · 
 · 

E_I,

Nah. not the same thing. I maybe more an exception than the rule, my dear ol' chap.

Aug 29, 16 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

E_I, i'd be a drone pilot, commodore programmer, and a constitutional lawyer to add to that list.  

Aug 29, 16 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Surgeon or Rock Drummer.

Aug 29, 16 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Vice President

Aug 29, 16 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

HVAC repair business.  People need you no matter what the economy is doing, and it will not be replaced by automation/AI anytime soon.

Aug 29, 16 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Sean Connery's personal stylist.

Aug 29, 16 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

pet detective

Aug 29, 16 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Architecture WAS pretty much a given.  I'd been groomed for it since birth as a 2nd generation and the set of circumstances.  Long story short, my Dad's father died at an early age so he was robbed of father/son bonding.  He did that with me, but was also sort of a workaholic.  So by elementary school, I was drafting wall poche's, etc., with him on drawings after school and learning the trade.  By Junior high, drafting up his sketches or working the front desk typing field reports... and it just goes on from there.  I never really took seriously that there was ever any real other option for me out there.

But I had shown real promise in other things I could have turned into some sort of living:

Cars:  Racing, designing, building.  Actually turned away opportunities that cropped up.  I won multiple trophies doing this as a side hobby.  Track, off-road, customizing cars, etc. 

2nd choice:  Computer gaming design.   Did actually make some money and swag doing PC gaming for a bit including full sponsorships by various companies and had a following, interviews, etc. for gaming rags and news stories.  

Aug 29, 16 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Comedy writer or film location scout.

Or one of those nice, laid-back, friendly middle-aged checkers at Trader Joe's.  Yeah.  I could do that just fine...

Aug 29, 16 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew.Circle

welder / whiskey distiller / SoCal lifeguard / gentlemen farmer

hopefully I could become skilled at one of those occupations. I'd love to say woodworker, but I don't have the patience.

Aug 29, 16 2:15 pm  · 
 · 

Rick, how is anyone supposed to be able to tell the difference between troll and building designer if you are the most vocal, and most visible, advocate for building designers?

P.s. That's a rhetorical question, you shouldn't answer it.

Aug 29, 16 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

TBH, if I wasn't in architecture, I'd probably be an engineer, contractor, or teacher.

Aug 29, 16 2:22 pm  · 
 · 

E_I,

Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to.

Aug 29, 16 3:10 pm  · 
 · 

2nd choice:  Computer gaming design.   Did actually make some money and swag doing PC gaming for a bit including full sponsorships by various companies and had a following, interviews, etc. for gaming rags and news stories.  

Elaborate.  In this day and age, if architecture tanked and you needed something to do and earn money, I would say computer game design is a possible avenue. 

Cars:  Racing, designing, building.  Actually turned away opportunities that cropped up.  I won multiple trophies doing this as a side hobby.  Track, off-road, customizing cars, etc. 

As you age, you may get too old to race effectively. Example: Losing eye sight, physical reaction and stamina, etc. 

Computer game design can be something that you could do even when you are no longer having the physical condition for effective car racing. Although there is options in the automotive field....

Aug 29, 16 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
I'd be a rich guy who doesn't have to make a living. I'd just make art, indulge in expensive hobbies like exotic car racing, and bum around the world enjoying an endless summer.
Aug 29, 16 3:25 pm  · 
 · 

no_form,

Get a job that will allow you to become a rich guy.

Aug 29, 16 3:26 pm  · 
 · 

Jazz trombonist.

Aug 29, 16 3:43 pm  · 
 · 

Lance Hardwood, Sex Architect

Aug 29, 16 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
Rick B from basement. Get a job. Period.
Aug 29, 16 4:24 pm  · 
 · 

Rick, I don't think you understand what a rhetorical question is.

BTW, the OP's question is not rhetorical. Feel free to answer it.

Aug 29, 16 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Elaborate.  In this day and age, if architecture tanked and you needed something to do and earn money, I would say computer game design is a possible avenue. 

It’d be a different route in the computer gaming world than you think.  I played on a team competitively.  I learned how to market the sponsors.  We represented the target market of our sponsors; “The Look” to help break from the stereotype loner in the basement.  So we were in shape, active lifestyle, mid-20’s professional males with disposal income, a good smattering of ex-military and most of us married (I was the only one with kids so far though).  We photographed very well and interviews also covered our other hobbies (racing cars).  Our winning record got us noticed, who we were as individuals got us sponsors knocking on the door.  So the sorts of jobs were more development (the play/balance and competitive nature) and marketing opportunities as spokesmen.  Essentially, I was on the forefront of taking ‘kids computer games’ into the real world of it being acceptable for grown adult men/women to do for fun and not be labeled a loser. You’ve probably seen the COD commercials where joeblow become a weekend hero…. We were a big part of that transition in the culture.    

Racing was also like that.  I learned how to market myself, attract sponsors, and get people to pay for my fun hobby.  The issue with that one was location and money.  Denver is not a road racing city and a monthly $2k in tires pushes a architect’s salary (hence why I got good at finding sponsors).  So options get limited very fast.  You sort of need a lot of money to get in that game whether it’s building or racing. 

Aug 29, 16 5:27 pm  · 
 · 

no_form,

Continue on enjoying your life being slave to the master.

Aug 29, 16 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
What master you referring to Balkarina?
Aug 29, 16 5:50 pm  · 
 · 

Way too much talk about slaves and masters on here. You sure you all are looking at the right website's forums?

Aug 29, 16 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

RickB-BSMNT, 

That's completely irrelevant and offensive.  

You are a jobless 40 year old virgin living in your parent's basement.  You've never had the chance to do anything with your life.  You've barely seen any part of America let alone the world.  You have a worthless associates degree, a bunch of college credit that adds up to no degree.  You've never had the chance to even work in an office doing building design.  You're probably friendless (sorry).  You have some extreme and alienating religious and personal points of view that do not help you out either.  

Is my economic mobility closely tied to monthly wages?  Sure is, but I'm building wealth and have done more with my life than I ever dreamed of.  

Aug 29, 16 6:04 pm  · 
 · 

It’d be a different route in the computer gaming world than you think.  I played on a team competitively.  I learned how to market the sponsors.  We represented the target market of our sponsors; “The Look” to help break from the stereotype loner in the basement.  So we were in shape, active lifestyle, mid-20’s professional males with disposal income, a good smattering of ex-military and most of us married (I was the only one with kids so far though).  

Ok, fair enough. It does sound more like the PR & Marketing area than it does the actual game design & development. Nonetheless, it is part of the business.

Aug 29, 16 6:24 pm  · 
 · 

RickB-BSMNT, 

That's completely irrelevant and offensive.  

You are a jobless 40 year old virgin living in your parent's basement.  You've never had the chance to do anything with your life.  You've barely seen any part of America let alone the world.  You have a worthless associates degree, a bunch of college credit that adds up to no degree.  You've never had the chance to even work in an office doing building design.  You're probably friendless (sorry).  You have some extreme and alienating religious and personal points of view that do not help you out either.  

First off, I personally do NOT give a fuck about seeing parts of the world. For a lot longer than a million human life times, I have seen this world and its changes. So fuck you you little peon human being who never seen more than one planet. Now, go screw yourself.

Is my economic mobility closely tied to monthly wages?  Sure is, but I'm building wealth and have done more with my life than I ever dreamed of.  

Until the next recession takes all your savings and sets you back a $100K and by the time you even make progress, you are back where you started. By the time you can even own a home, you'll be in a pine box for a century.

If you even hope to even be able to do the following: "I'd be a rich guy who doesn't have to make a living. I'd just make art, indulge in expensive hobbies like exotic car racing, and bum around the world enjoying an endless summer." - you are going to need to be making $250 to 500K a month. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT ONE. Those numbers will continue to increase with inflation.

The last I recall, employees of architects don't make that kind of money. 

Your earning ceiling in this occupation is maybe $150K a year. Maybe if lucky, $250K a year. That won't be enough to pay a life of luxury like your dream is. You sure the hell won't be making $250K/month to $500K/month as an employee. 

Aug 29, 16 6:40 pm  · 
 · 

Just say no to crystal meth, Balkins.

Aug 29, 16 6:57 pm  · 
 · 

Interesting that Ricky picked out no-form's comment and decided to go off on the economics of it as unfeasible. I'm assuming this means that others' chosen professions are perfectly feasible and Ricky would sign off on them.

curtkram, apparently you get the green light to be a single drop of rain. Good luck with that. Let us know how it turns out.

Aug 29, 16 6:59 pm  · 
 · 

David Cole,

Reincarnation with memory. Simple as that. 

Aug 29, 16 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Balkins just went full Balkins.

Looks like no–form hit all the right notes.
Aug 29, 16 7:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: