Archinect
anchor

B.arch vs graphic design

sofianik

Hey guys, I'm going through my senior year and I've been trying to decide which would be the best possible degree I could have (well, the one that my budget allows). The thing is, I'm pretty certain I want to work as a graphic designer, but a degree in graphic design isn't equally appreciated as one in architecture. Plus, graphic design education in my country is quite humble but the arch university I'm thinking of is one of the best. I will be going either way for a master abroad -preferably in GD or Animation/illustration-.
At the same time, I keep in mind that while studying arch, I will gain useful skills and will develop my drawing and draftsmanship, as well as cultivate effective design processes. Is it worth the time and effort, If I know I don't want to design buildings?
Is creating career opportunities what I should be going after? 

Aug 26, 16 12:07 pm
Non Sequitur

If you don't want to design buildings, don't go into architecture... plain and simple.  The training and road ahead is long and will not be easy if you're throwing yourself into this blindly. Graphic design is simple stuff compared to architecture. 

You can always chase a M.arch following your graphic design if you want to switch to architecture.

Aug 26, 16 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Massimo Vignelli was trained as an architect.  So there's that.

Aug 26, 16 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

I got my under grad in Graphic Design - then later got my M.arch - but only after years of experience in 3D digital modeling including parametric modeling - its doable as long as you have the foundation knowledge - in may case deep piles of geometry into a bedrock of math - for some its environmental science or business or construction - graphic design can provide a start

Aug 26, 16 2:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: