Archinect
anchor

Granite Curbs

nicholass817

I have a few projects in the areas around Boston, and have been on scope/survey trip this week.  I noticed that the vast majority of the street curbs are granite.  Just one of those interesting regional things that facinates me.  

Is there a functional reason for this? Freeze/thaw durability? Are there other little regional design things that are unique to your area?

Aug 25, 16 8:43 am
bundy

I was in Florence Italy and watched a utility crew pull up a half street length of granite pavers one morning and get to work on a communications cable.  By the time I returned that evening they had put the street back together perfectly.  I was amazed at the simplicity and ease of it.  No saw cutting, concrete placing or asphalt topping.  The granite paver blocks were about 8x8 square and deep, like 16 inches or so.  To think they've probably been there longer than most streets in America is simply amazing.

Aug 25, 16 10:35 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I just love Boston's granite curbs.

Aug 25, 16 10:40 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Granite holds up much better to salt, plows and car tires than concrete, and especially asphalt curbing. There is a ready supply in New England. 

There are a million "regional design things," one of the great things about vernacular architecture. Like regional accents, they are rapidly disappearing, and like accents, the loss is unfortunate. One of my favorites in northern New England is standing seam metal roofs.

Aug 25, 16 10:54 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: