Archinect
anchor

McMansions Define Ugly in a New Way: They’re a Bad Investment

stone
shellarchitect

Interesting theory, i'd like to see if there is any actual research on the topic. Not easy to quantify the value of design

Aug 24, 16 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
StarchitectAlpha

Could it possibly be more about location? These types of homes are usually placed in areas that require long commutes and nothing around but strip malls. It's a pretty tough pill to swallow for first time buyers. Long commute, boring location, nosy neighbors and a mortgage that eats up all discretionary spending, all so you can pray for appreciation that outpaces inflation, repairs, property taxes and interest. 

Aug 24, 16 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

^  Location is probably the biggest clue.  Areas that have a large number of corporate headquarters are going to have more demand for seriously upscale housing.

Prices also vary so widely between regions that you can't draw good comparisons from simple raw sales data.  Fort Lauderdale McMansions are $477,00?  That gets you an older, comparatively modest house in Denver, and probably only a nice cardboard box in a middle class alley in SF.

A blurb from Trulia or Zillow is not something I would take too seriously, one way or the other.

Aug 25, 16 9:03 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

starter ranch home does

Do developers still build these?

a mortgage that eats up all discretionary spending

We live in a world where consumerism is king and instant gratification is the second most important emotion after greed.  That includes McMansions; leading to outsized debt and personal spending and an inability to weather an economic time that is increasingly pressure packed.

My "starter ranch home" serves my family quite well AND is paid for.  I'm 40 years old and debt free.  A pox upon all the borrowers

Aug 25, 16 10:47 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

My "starter ranch home" serves my family quite well AND is paid for.  I'm 40 years old and debt free.  A pox upon all the borrowers

That's the way to live, particularly in this profession.  Congrats.

Aug 25, 16 11:02 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

SA - These types of homes are usually placed in areas that require long commutes and nothing around but strip malls...

Combine this with today's story linking increase in walk-ability, with an increase in market value (cost to buyer) and you may see a connection.  I dislike McMansions as much as the next architector, but as I said in another thread, much to one person's chagrin, the McMansion has quickly become the ranch home of today's suburbia.  Maybe a bad investment, but they can serve a purpose if you look at them only as a home.

Aug 25, 16 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

if you look at them only as a home.

I counsel clients this all the time- build the house that's right for you.  They never listen and are always more focused on the future buyer.

Aug 25, 16 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

I heard about this on Facebook. I am new to Facebook and I have been completely smitten by its alluring bright colors and video games and being able to talk to friends.

Aug 25, 16 2:34 pm  · 
 · 

JeromeS,

It must be kept in mind that 80% of the working class of today moves from place to place and owning a house is just a flip to them so that they can build equity for their retirement home which may actually end up being the "Retirement home" by that time.

In short, people don't buy homes to live in but to temporarily occupy until the job and move. Ironically, with that life, we should stop building houses and only design and build apartments and maybe a rent to buy option so when a person closes out their career, they may outright buy out the unit to own.

This is the way we live, now. Maybe its time designing and building new houses needs to come to an end in the U.S. until there become a real need for owning houses.

I think that's where its all going.... unless this trend reverses course.

Aug 26, 16 5:49 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

In short, people don't buy homes to live in but to temporarily occupy until the job and move. 

Is that why you still live with your parents?

I bought a house to live in.

Aug 26, 16 12:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: