Archinect
anchor

Sejima Studio in IoA, any experience?

Eras.H

Heard that Sejima is currently leading a MArch studio(Including a diploma studio from Zaha) in IoA, die Angewandte. It has been one year; and recently She has signed for a 5 years contract.

I am quite interested in IoA and might apply for it. Originally Lynn studio is my best interest. But I really want to know any opinion about Sejima Studio. While there is little information about it. All the work seems to be from diploma rather than March.

Anyone who is currently studying in this studio? What is the general pedagogyand what kinds of projects do you do?

Aug 23, 16 12:50 pm
accesskb

I don't think they accept any diploma students anymore.  Its all Masters.  From what I hear, the studio profs only show up on the first class, mid-term, final reviews or so.  Beyond that, you're working with adjuncts/grads/students hired by the prof.  I've seen some nice work come out of these studios but I wonder if they're getting a well balanced education like other schools in America where you have a mix of technical, theory and studio courses.  It seems like they focus highly on studio.  Unlike American schools, there is no duration as to when you graduate.  You can take semesters off in between as much as you like.  Students can graduate in 3 years or 10 years if they want.

Aug 24, 16 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
Eras.H

Thanks accesskb!

I suspect there are still some remnant diploma students there from several years ago. Lynn's pages always present diploma's work and the majority of MArch's works are missing, which makes me curious.

I agree with you, they seems to be highly focusing on studio rather than others; Although they do have these course required; And I didn't realize about the duration of education...hmm

5~10 years ago Zaha,Lynn and Wolf's studios produced really amazing works and theories. It seems like the studio would have a very clear goal of certain researchs' directions in the studios, so its studio-oriented while considering technical and theory as services. I guess whether these directions are missing today. As from the current studio descriptions, there seems to be a lack of clarity.

Aug 26, 16 9:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: