Archinect
anchor

Which School should I apply for M.Arch Study in Canada

Grace0524

Hi,

I am about to apply M.Arch at UBC. (May consider U of T)
But not sure if it worth my 3 year in Van. City. I have not heard too much news about the SALA school there.  All I know it is ranking higher than U of T, even U of McGill.

Wanna know that how the architecture industry recognizes the M.Arch graduates from UBC V.S. the other schools, such as U OF T, or U of M.

Does UBC`s SALA school focus on Theory Aspect or Practise more? I really want some update news of this one. The school website does not tell too much.

I also heard the U OF is trying to built its  "Harvard " attribute, and some schoolfellows  make way in the industry like Hariri architects and KBMP, While I have not hear anything too strong from UBC (Please forgive my ignorance ). Why it is ranking higher?

I am living in Windsor Ontario, I am not a  person who super enjoy  the theoretical research . I like to do model and visualize it with Revit or Rhinoceros, I am very good on both programs, and as well as hand sketch which is highly recognized  by design professionals in Windsor and Detroit..

I appreciate that if anyone could give me some ideas.

Thank you

Aug 20, 16 2:12 pm
citizen

Aug 20, 16 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

everyone is better than UofT but I do not value Ubc over McGill by default. Normally, canadian March students get to dictate the vast % of their degree through thesis so normally there is not so much a theoretical vs non aspect. Just look up the faculty and see what each of their areas of interests are. I'd value schools that give real technical and practice based courses so make sure you check that the profs are licensed architects.... and not just past grad students who are too scared to work in the real world.

Aug 20, 16 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
Grace0524

Hi Non Sequitur,

Thanks for your speedy reply.

I did research of McGill, it has a good reputation in North American, however, one of my friend he was from there and told me do not go there because of the OLD SCHOOL faculty... Anyway, I won't go to French Speaking City for Study, 

I also heard that U OF T has a new Building on architecture school in next year. and it is looking great in the Presentation  Video :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVZ7yjr94yk.

For it is geographic location, I think it is good for international connection, Such as NYC. 

So would you please give me some insight though why you deem that `everyone is better than UofT`

My undergrad is fine art, I did rendering for the rendering firm. I know Arch school of UBC only by it is  ranking and the beautiful scene of its city. Oh, here is more, UBC has Dual Degree of Mach and MAL, How do you think the worth 4 years there? Does that degree help for the Job ? 

Thank you 

Aug 22, 16 11:30 am  · 
 · 
6Wolf

Non Seq, 

why do you say everyone is better than UofT (masters of architecture) ?

I understand why you would say that about undergrad as its curriculum does not meet CACB standards.... But your opinion of its masters program seems very biased especially if you haven't been to every school (you've only studied masters at waterloo). I'm sure every school has its good students and bad students. 

"I'd value schools that give real technical and practice based courses so make sure you check that the profs are licensed architects.... and not just past grad students who are too scared to work in the real world."

Bridget Shim, George Baird, Mason White, Pina Petricone, Shane Williamson,, steven fong, alex josephson, barry sampson robert levit, ted kesik, tom bessai etc etc etc.. pretty sure theres more connections to practicing professionals at UofT than many other schools. Not to mention that a majority of these professionals were Ivey League educated  too. 

and to further point out your ignorance, all schools accredited masters programs in canada follow a strict guideline based on the CACB. These guidelines require the curriculum to meet all standards of TECHNICAL, PRACTICAL, and THEORITICAL education. Meaning all schools  "give real technical and practice based coursesNow if you were to criticize the CACB standards that would be another issue...

Aug 23, 16 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^yawn. heard it all before. CACB compliancy within the schools is not equal... not even close. And even so, you don't get points for meeting the minimum reqs anyways.

I base my opinion of the quality of the students they produce when they hit the work place. Too many graduates come from it's terrible BA program so it heavily skews the scale towards the lower end. I am sure the general level of graduates would increase significantly if UofT did not have a M.arch feeding department.

Aug 23, 16 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
6Wolf

Then the issue is the students coming from the BA program, and not the MArch education its providing. I agree, the MArch program should not be accepting the students coming from the shit BA program. However, all students in the Advanced standing stream are some of the best I've seen and worked with. 

Aug 23, 16 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^The BA waters down the March's reputation for certain since a vast majority of it's student pool is not in the "advance stream".

Aug 23, 16 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
6Wolf

^I agree

Aug 23, 16 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
Grace0524

Hi 6Wolf, Have you ever seen some of the best students from UBC? It seens that you know U of T very much and u have practised experience, that is great! What is your subjection of taking school based on my background. I heard that U of T has a bigger size of the class than UBC, 60+ people every year while UBC is around 35. Moreover, the DUAL DEGREE at UBC SALA shool is olnly pick 5 candidates in this newly open year. How you think with that game? It is worth 4 year? I think Architect can do soft-landscape, is it MLA a redunbant choice? Or interdispline is good for finding a job? People here do not mentioned UBC too much. Are there not too many good things happen? I Just got a little tire in the east coast , and try to explore the west more. And my plan is to work outside Ca, US or Asia

Aug 23, 16 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
6Wolf, the above is all yours. Enjoy.
Aug 24, 16 7:50 am  · 
 · 
Grace0524

Non Sequitur, 

Please , do not skip this.

I mean it has become a trench of your guy's debate .

But my Questions is also for you ...

Thank you...

Aug 24, 16 10:44 am  · 
 · 
6Wolf

@grace0524

To be very honest, I only know 2 or 3 people that have come from UBC and they work in the same firm as I do. From what I can tell though they are well rounded individuals, but they are also 5+ years older than me so its hard to judge!. Other than that I can't really comment. 

I think class size matters less than number of people per studio instructor. At UofT it maxes at around 12 students per instructor. 

In my opinion, a dual masters degree is kind of a waste of money. When you leave school, you'll be doing the same work as everyone else. The only time I think it would be useful is if you are A. becoming an academic. B. You love school and hate money. C. You have no idea what you want to do. 

I know that UofT you can take Landscape electives during your M.Arch degree. Most likely you can at UBC as well but you'd have to do more research (i have no idea). 

Aug 24, 16 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
Grace0524

Hi @grace0524,

"Becoming an academic", are you referring someone teaches at school?

Well, I generally like this idea, if Dual Degree can help for such opportunity. 

I think the size of the class makes you feel like being in a metropolitan city or a right size city.   Not sure if the people feel less of being the focus or not at U OF T. 

It is interesting to know thatfor the tuition fee, 4years dual degree at UBC is still cheaper than 3.5 years at U OF T.... 

May I ask you are working at a Canadian Firm or American's? 

Aug 24, 16 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

Here are my observations from working at many Canadian firms.. Grads from Ryerson/UBC tend to be very good detailers, technical and good as support staff.  They become team leaders but you don't often see them take up a principal position.  UofT, McGill and Waterloo grads tend to hold principal positions and seem to skilled with management, writing proposals, theoretical/conceptual/research aspects.

Keep in mind, these principals I'm talking about probably graduated from their school two or three decades ago when ranking of schools and their curriculum were far apart.  Today, you could excel equally in architecture having attended any school in Canada.  All depends on whether you're more technical, practical, theoritical or balanced.  Each school has their own strengths on that.

Aug 24, 16 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
Grace0524

accesskb, I agree with yr point totally . However, my question is the Dual Degree at UBC , How do you think that worth for 4years investment if people wanna become a teaching professional in the future or seize a job in the competetive market? Thanks

Aug 25, 16 1:28 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
4years? That's twice as long as an m.arch should take.
Aug 25, 16 6:18 am  · 
 · 
Brud-G

I've said it before and I'll say it again... The girls are hotter in Montreal!

Aug 25, 16 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
Grace0524

Non Sequitur, 

I have no background education of Architecture . So I have to take 3 years at UBC or 3.5 years at U of T if I am admitted.

Now, I find that UBC provides 4-year for both MArch+MLA Program , so it is only one year longer than its MArch Program, and 0.5 year longer than MArch in U of T.

I also know that The Dual degree is very hard to get into it. Only 4-5 guys were admitted this years. Quite competitive I guess..   But I may want to have a  try next year.

6Wolf said "Dual is waste of money, you'll be doing the same work as everyone else ..."

But I may  want to teach after the dual. So what do you think it is going to help for that Job? 

Aug 26, 16 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Why do so many people want to teach architecture when they don't have a clue about the practice of architecture or its education?

Aug 26, 16 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
starrchitect

I would aim for McGill, as the school as a whole is reputable with a beautiful campus and surrounding area. Montreal as a city is very cozy and on the affordable side. You will also have the CCA within walking distance, which to me is an invaluable institution that always has plenty of architectural events going. I would trade NYC (where I am now) for Montreal in a minute.

Having said that, I concur with Brud-G. Chicks in Montreal are smoking hot , super friendly, and polite. 

Aug 28, 16 12:07 am  · 
 · 
Grace0524

starrchitect,

Thanks you info. I have a set up in my mind that I would only go for UBC or U of T.

Cause I have not architecture background, so UBC or U of T. is easier for this condition I think.

Aug 28, 16 2:25 am  · 
 · 
Grace0524

Non Sequitur,

You are right, I should practice if I am really admitted and graduate...

Aug 28, 16 2:27 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: