Archinect
anchor

Building information modeling

manoverde84

Ok so I hear that BIM is something all CMs will need to know. I'm taking an auto cad course and there's another option to learn auto desk Revit. Would learning Revit be sufficient? Or would it be best take a specific BIM course? What's the difference? Sorry to ask such a dumb question. 

Aug 19, 16 3:02 pm
Non Sequitur

There is no point in "learning" anything BIM related if you don't know shit about building construction.

I'm pretty sure this has been yelled at you several times over your many identical posts.

With that said and although Revit is king when it comes to BIM, it's best to develop a healthy working knowledge of the different tools if you want flexibility when looking for work. You'd probably need to know the basics of the softwares(s) before getting too deep into CM and BIM.

Aug 19, 16 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
manoverde84

Well of course. It's in my CM curriculum but not until way later. I was just asking if a Revit course would suffice over taking a while CM course on BIM. I didn't mean I was going to jump on this now. I was just asking if Revit is BIM. Is that what I'd learn in my BIM course which is in the curriculum for my cm degree but not until I complete the necessary pre-reqs. 

Aug 19, 16 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
For Sean Connery's sake, can't you do anything without crowd sourcing first? Want us to pick you clothes for the day too?

They sure get them ready in those community colleges.
Aug 20, 16 6:36 am  · 
 · 
MyDream

I have been doing some freelance work preparing to go out on my own and start a building design firm and I have learned a lot in Revit that I did not know. I used a lot....a lot of detail lines to complete my working drawings and while working with a building designer here in Orlando, he has shown me the power of detail components and to make everything a smart models I mean even the notes for the materials are smart.... :O. I mean I use Revit city for my models so I did not have to bother with families and I just detail line the shit out of everything. I mean as long as the information is there who cares how it gets there. Who will see the Revit model besides me anyways right? So this guy has me learning all kinds of things in Revit, but there are not things I think are hard to learn I have been dealing with Revit for a while and am very comfortable with the interface it is just the everything must be a 3d model that is intractable, which they do not teach in the community college. So to the OP if you want to learn Revit the college thing is a good way to get you to know the software but be prepared, Revit has a lot in it. Right now I am trying to create a custom Revit family for a hidden pantry that has a unique door set up right next to countertop space.  

Sep 1, 16 3:59 am  · 
 · 
timshodipo

What areas do you consider greatest improved since BIM implementation in comparison to conventional methods?

Mar 13, 17 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
cmh123

Hi,

I am a final year quantity surveying and commercial management student at Nottingham Trent University. As my part of final year dissertation part of my research requires a questionnaire to be completed. It is important that any respondents have experience in the use of BIM, all responses are anonymous and I hope you can take a few minutes to complete it. The link is below:

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/TD72GKT

If you any queries please contact me.

Kind regards,

Cameron Moore-Haines.

Mar 27, 19 6:37 am  · 
 · 
AlinaF

What kind of name is that?

Apr 3, 19 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

This totally how quality research is done.

Apr 3, 19 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Jeepers. Revit is the easiest way bar none to create something that LOOKS like a building CD set but cannot be built. Learn to design, THEN learn Revit or CAD or whatever.

Apr 3, 19 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

if it can be drawn in sketchup it can be built. That's the rule.

Apr 3, 19 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

I had a structural engineer tell me once that we couldn't do whatever we were showing, even if we shade it yellow. So, my strategy of yellow highlighter wasn't enough :(

Apr 3, 19 8:22 pm  · 
 · 

I love it when people tell me that something can't be done. Especially when I've already done it.

Apr 3, 19 8:32 pm  · 
1  · 
curtkram

I don't remember the specifics, but it was very early in design and the project wasn't in a good place yet

Apr 3, 19 8:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: