Archinect
anchor

Becoming an Architect vs Businessman.

vldesign

I would like to get your thoughts on what is more important, pursuing business knowledge or architecture knowledge (or a degree), or maybe put another way, is a architect at a huge disadvantage to reach success without any business knowledge?

A little bit about my situation, I graduated college from art school in Illustration in California, and noticed how ill prepared most students (including myself) were in marketing themselves and presenting their work as high value. A roommate of mine, that was business savvy from his father and built a successful motion graphics company, would brag "I used to idolize certain big name artists, now I hire them".

Today, I have my own company and work with a few architects that are out on their own and do awesome high level work, yet they struggle with the business aspect of architecture and often times they do not charge enough or adequately protect themselves with a contract, nor do they have a clue as to how to market their small business or create growth.

I have also heard stories about businessmen that did not know the first thing about architecture or construction, yet were able to build a profitable business off the talents of  architects and contractors that they hired due to their business knowledge and skills.

After being mentored by an architect shortly after graduating college and completing numerous residential projects, I attended a Architecture Masters program to obtain my license, but quit after three months. With the examples I have shown above, I have concluded that business management is paramount and more important then working for a Arch license.

I threw a lot of things out there and I am interested in thoughts you may have regarding everything and anything that comes to mind.

Aug 16, 16 5:08 pm

Today, architecture is a business.

Aug 16, 16 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
vldesign

Of course "architecture is a business", but the point is, most architects I have encountered aren't very good at it.

Aug 16, 16 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

everything has become a business. many people especially architects either do not care or just do not have time to worry about business. sure you need money if you are middle class and you have to balance your time between doing achitecture and making money with architecture. but many architects would rather work or do architecture than worry about making money. as an analogy: you play an instrument, say the trumpet, and you just love playing the trumpet so much that you would rather play your trumpet by joining a band or playing in the street instead of getting a "real job". lets also say its beyond you why people are so obsessed with money and ypu have not the slightest idea why people think retirement is something you need to do. ultimately its a profession as well and not a business. there are decisions a businessman can make an architect would not find ethical.

Aug 16, 16 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

There is a mindset among most architects--particularly fresh graduates and their professors--that art and architecture are noble callings, while business is crass and grubby.  The schools do little or nothing to teach the business side of the profession.  Most of the professors would be clueless anyway, since at many schools the culture discourages outside work.  Architects are their own worst enemy.

Aug 16, 16 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
So-do tell-how do I be a better businessman?
Aug 16, 16 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

I think what youre trying to say is that most ppl that work in the industy dont get paid squat for the work they do, and that wouldnt be a lie. But being an architect is so magnanomous.... gotta be commited to architecture and have a passion for writing RFIs all day... weaklings these days.

Aug 16, 16 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
bundy

The first thing you should look at is your product, customer and market.  Whats your value proposition?  In a lot of places in the country we have too many buildings already, too much retail, too much comercial, too many unaffordable McMansions.  Whats the value an Architect brings to those markets?  Do you stay in one of those markets or go to an expanding market?  Unlike making widgets from a fixed factory somewhere Architects often have to plant roots in their market which often involves moving your life - not an easy decision.

Aug 17, 16 9:30 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

correct me if im wrong, but isnt the "business knowledge" of any business basically transferable to any "business"? which is basically minimizing cost and maximizing profits? in which the "business knowledge" is the back seat to the product or service?

Aug 17, 16 9:53 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

it's not just money.  it's client relations, employee relations, managing resources and assets.  if your business is only about money, it's not going to go well. 

the resources and assets in one business can be very different than the next.  if you don't understand those resources, you probably aren't going to manage the business well.

Aug 17, 16 11:35 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

@curtkram is not "client relations, employee relations, managing resources and assets" all geared toward max profit min. expense's? and did I not say  "the "business knowledge" of any business basically transferable to any "business"? like the principals of engineering are transferable to all living entities? or am i missing it

Aug 17, 16 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM
Secret to basketball is putting more balls in the basket than your opponent. Simple as that. Score more points than the other team. Applicable to every team sport.
Aug 17, 16 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

Focus on business first and ways to make money.  Then you can work on architecture and without being burdened by how to survive or feed yourself during the next layoff.

Aug 17, 16 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I used to play basketball. There was something called a forced error. I've never tried it in business though. Maybe I outta.

Aug 17, 16 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

What I meant is that that knowledge of successfully running  a business in one field may not be transferrable to another field, because the specific knowledge required to manage the resources in one field may be significantly different than managing a different set of resources.

Aug 18, 16 7:20 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Business stuff is easy to learn and there are several free resources. Here is a link to the business courses catalog on Coursera. You can pay for a certificate, or take for free without the certificates. 

Aug 18, 16 9:57 am  · 
 · 
harsh25

Every Architect at the end of day need a business with profits. You should create a business rapport among your employees & strive hard to manage your entire business. 

Creating a Digital Space for your Architecture Business is as important as you creating a Physical Architect Firm! Having a Website for your Architecture business will make a lot of sense.

• Once you Create a Website for your Architect firm, you can manage your business from anywhere in the world.
  • Showcase your previous & live projects to your clients.
  • Flaunt your designs to larger audience.
  • Drive sales with leads & promote your architect brand globally.

As you know that advertising online is cheaper than traditional media, why not utilize this digital platform?

Create Websites for Architects today & start doubling your business right-away.

Nov 25, 16 12:28 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: