Archinect
anchor

Job searching from a distance

eskimo457

My husband and I are planning to relocate early 2017 to be closer to one of our families. 

We are going to be visiting our future move-area for a wedding in September and I was planning to reach out of local firms for an 'informational interview'. I have never done this before and I'm hoping to get some insight from people who have done something similar. 

I plan on reaching out to a few firms with a brief note stating that I plan on relocating at the beginning on 2017, want to learn more about the architectural climate in the area, and discuss  if my skills set can align with any of the projects the firm is pursuing. I also plan on including a few examples of work. 

What are your thoughts? Does a move-out date 4-5 months out deter people from taking me seriously? Is asking for an 'informational interview' enough, should I make my intentions clearer? If you have done something similar what was your experience?

FYI: I have 5 years of experience and am newly licensed. 

Thank you in advance.

Aug 15, 16 4:15 pm

I did some job searching from a distance a while back and it is tough.

First, not everyone will take the time to look at you because you aren't in the area. I had much more luck getting interviews after I had actually moved. 

Second, many times it is hard to predict workloads months in advance. I had a couple of firms contact me wondering if I could move out sooner than what I had anticipated because they needed me at that moment, not in a month or two. I also had a firm contact me 3 months after I moved wanting to set up an interview (about 6 months from my initial contact) ... so it can go both ways.

I say go for it though and set up some interviews. It doesn't hurt and if anything it starts getting you and your intentions out there. Just don't be hurt too much if nothing directly comes of it. 

I'd also recommend getting in touch with people you know, working your network, and seeing what you can work out with them. This is going to be a better way to find serious leads anyway. It's how I ended up with my current job.

Aug 15, 16 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
cipyboy

Go do it. My 3 previous employers hired me doing that.  Make a list of all the firms in that area, hiring or not, and set up a casual meeting to talk about what they do etc. You'll never know what happens next.  Some offices don't posts job openings, they network and/ or wait for a candidate to show up. Either way, it'll be beneficial for you.

Goodluck.

Aug 16, 16 8:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: