Archinect
anchor

Possible career change...questions

la_doshis

Hello...I am new to this site and forum.

I have been contemplating a career change but feel lost. I have a BA in an unrelated field and have been wanting to go back to school for construction or design, but am not sure where to begin. I don't know anyone that works in the construction/design field to get advice from. I have looked at local community colleges and the AA degrees offered are CAD, architecture, interior design, construction, building inspection and landscape architecture. I have also looked at some local schools that offer masters degrees (landscape architecture, construction management, architecture) for people that have unrelated undergrad degrees. I don't feel like I can apply to those schools though because I don't have a portfolio required for the application and no idea where to start. I was briefly a graphic design major as an undergrad, but don't have any of that work available and the projects would've been outdated anyway.

I am not sure what the job market is looking like now (I'm in southern California), but I would like to be able to find a job that will pay enough to afford rent out here.

Thank you for any assistance or insight

Aug 15, 16 3:03 pm
geezertect

I am not sure what the job market is looking like now (I'm in southern California), but I would like to be able to find a job that will pay enough to afford rent out here.

Before you start shopping for schools and degrees, do your homework on the profession.  Architecture is generally poorly paid, insecure, and very often boring, frustrating and demoralizing.  Make sure it will give you the life you want.

Aug 15, 16 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

^ Good advice.

Aug 15, 16 6:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: