Archinect
anchor

Magbee or Andersen 2900 Series

onxaxso@hotmail.com

So we are in the process of building a new home.  We are located in Georgia and our builder is giving us the options of wood windows through a local manufacturer named Magbee or Andersen 2900 series windows.  I've been able to read up on the andersen windows online and they don't have a good reputation but I couldn't find any info on Magbee.  Does anyone have any insight or advice on these windows and how they compare?  They are wood and Andersen will be single hung vinyl.  Thanks.

Aug 15, 16 1:08 pm
Non Sequitur

Why did you not hire an architect you cheapo!

Aug 15, 16 1:09 pm  · 
 · 

Release the hounds!

Aug 15, 16 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

single pane vinyl garbage contractor special

Aug 15, 16 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Fuck windows.  Turn house into a walled garden filled with lots of creeper vines and garden gnomes.  Buy a hammock tent to elevate yourself off the wet ground and call Rick Balkins for advice on removing the roof.  Invite over neighbors for a nice dinner (see thread central for recipes)...and most important...enclose house with an electrified fence to keep out rabid kangaroos.    

Aug 15, 16 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

#roosforlife

Aug 15, 16 1:56 pm  · 
 · 

If the contractor/builder is recommending the windows, there is a damn good chance they are not good quality and it is something they can get a higher margin on.

We've had bad experiences with contractor recommended windows.

Also if these wood windows are the same cost as the vinyl, RUN. 

Aug 15, 16 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

As to your online reviews;

I'd bet, if you did a google search for any of the major car manufacturers and based your buying decisions on them, you still be riding your BMX bike to work.

Despite that, and regardless of their deficiencies, would you rather buy a Chevy sedan or one made by SmalltownUSA Motorwerks?

For what its worth, my wife took the deposition of a "window expert" who's opinion was that Marvin and Andersen were the best brands.  Can you find better windows?  Of course.  Can you do a lot worse? Magbee...

Aug 15, 16 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
onxaxso@hotmail.com

THank you to all those who had some advice.  I really do appreciate it.  

Aug 16, 16 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
Brud-G

I think the 2900 Series are actually made by Silverline. Anderson bought them a while back. They are not wood but vinyl.

If the contractor is giving you wood windows, ask for Anderson 400 Series.

BTW, double hung are easier to clean than single hung, especially if it's a 2-story house.

Aug 16, 16 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: