Archinect
anchor

repair ideas?

go do it

So on my current project there is a water problem that is causing some damage and I have an idea for the repair but I am not comfortable with the whole situation and I hope maybe you guys can come up with something better.

There are two concrete slabs for these little porches and the slab in image1  is 1 1/4" higher than the slab in image 3 where you can see some damage. In the images you can see the sides of a large planter box and some stone pavers. 

So what is happening is there is rain water accumulation right in the area where the stone is and it flows down to the lower slab and percolates into the wood siding and into the house. Once the water is there it has nowhere to go because in image 3 just to the right of the damaged siding is a corner and a door. Also slab 1 slopes 3/8" in 2 feet towards slab 2.

My idea is to remove some siding get it all cleaned up and use something like this fromGAF to try and make a seal and then pour a little slab and slope away from the house. But if I slope towards slab 1 water will puddle up against my little slab and the same thing if I slope towards slab 2. Those are my only two slope options because the planter is in the way. What I see in my mind is that I am just raising the problem to the top of my little slab because the water is still there  it has nowhere to go.  

Any ideas? 

Those are not my ugly shoes

Aug 11, 16 7:14 pm
awaiting_deletion

where is the house siding? is chopping and digging an option? can the planter be moved and reinstalled? where is the nearest drain or place for water to off into the soil?

Aug 11, 16 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

they really like the planter and it is in a small concrete courtyard and the courtyard level is the same level as slab 1 

probably could make the planter smaller or take it out if we had to but the water is still trapped by the concrete courtyard.

the house is also a registered historic landmark so they are kind of picky about changes.

Aug 11, 16 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

What's below the rock? Any way you could do some sort of pit inflitration? 

Aug 11, 16 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

^dirt

oh and there is a room directly below 

Aug 11, 16 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

^with ceiling damage

Aug 11, 16 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

without charging you my real rate and in language only an architect can understand (you cool):

waterproof admixture over 6 mil poly over gravel or rigid polyiso with wp'ing membrane and if you want to get crazy drop some bentonite in at joints where expansion to block incoming water is useful.

Aug 11, 16 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

bu the homeowner a pack of these and tell em to start suckin

Aug 11, 16 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

^you forgot the rimshot

Thanks Olaf your post got me thinking and I understand Archi-Talk because I went to a lecture by libeskind. And as far as your rate well just as david lee roth said in "everybody wants some" look i'll pay you for it what the fuck? ):)

I need to waterproof a puddle so I thought about landfills and using a  geosynthetic clay liner and place a waterproof admixture concrete slab over the liner. But what happens to the concrete when the liner expands from water contact? Movement? Probably.

I wonder if a form filled with this stuff  ,but not from ,halliburton, would do the trick and just be a slight maintenance issue for the owners, I kind of need a sponge i guess.

Aug 11, 16 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

glad that libeskind lecture worked out for you. pre-molded expansion joints.....but this is getting crazy for a little puddle. at least its friday.

Aug 12, 16 7:42 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

if you need a sponge, remove concrete, plant grass. bills in the mail.

Aug 12, 16 7:43 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

What about installing interior gutters to collect the water? I am sure you can sell it somehow.

If this does not work, then excavate, parge, sloped iso past edge of slab, felt board, 2-ply mod-bit, drainage board, granular, profit.

Please send payment in the form of 12 of your finest local craft brews.

Aug 12, 16 8:05 am  · 
 · 
t a z

WIP (for discussion only)

Chip out pavers (probably at least a 2" build-up)

Infill void with concrete to 1/2" below existing slab

Build-up on concrete w/ a non-shrink cementious grout. Provide high-point (hip? ridge?) in the middle perpendicular to the planter to drain to both sides and towards planter (away from house). You'll probably end up w/ a slab step b/w grout and existing.

Some kind of flashing to protect the wall against spattering water and WP may want to go in there somewhere to ensure all the water stays on top of slab...

Aug 12, 16 9:21 am  · 
 · 
go do it

thanks all

Aug 12, 16 11:35 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I understand Archi-Talk because I went to a lecture by libeskind  THANKS FOR THE FRIDAY LAUGH

Aug 12, 16 11:41 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: