Archinect
anchor

Type font on your drawing set

mtdew

I typically use San Serif in my plans. 

I've seen all type of fonts on plans, even strange hippie dippie bakery fonts.

So I wanted to know what font or fonts do you use in your plans?

Aug 10, 16 5:13 pm
Non Sequitur

Arial... and death to anyone who changes it back to city blue print.

Aug 10, 16 5:23 pm  · 
 · 

City Blueprint = the Comic Sans of construction documents

Aug 10, 16 5:25 pm  · 
 · 

Arial Narrow.

We roll hard at LBBA.

Aug 10, 16 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Open Sans.

Keep it clean.

Aug 10, 16 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Arial. 'nuff said.

I worked my first job for an architect who did all suburban house work, everything was in that faux-handwriting block letters (is that the City Blueprint?) - including the website. Painful...

Aug 10, 16 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
I can always tell when the young'ins get lazy in the ofice and copy-paste old notes without proofreading. What's' that? Typewriter font? Come'on....

Bench city blueprint is one of the common hand script types.
Aug 10, 16 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Calibri.

Aug 10, 16 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

century gothic 

· 
chigurh

balkins uses comic sans

· 
lacalr

Arial Narrow as well. We tried to make the switch over to Myriad but it ended up not being worth all the hassle and initial inconsistencies. 

Aug 10, 16 6:35 pm  · 
 · 

For working drawings, you can't go wrong with Arial or some common variant. Make sure you use something that everybody has on their computer, so it doesn't become an issue when exporting your drawings to a client or consultant. Nobody should have to install some precious proprietary font on their computer just to open your drawings.

Aug 10, 16 6:59 pm  · 
1  · 
curtkram

Aug 10, 16 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

Akzidenz Grotesk, Replica Sans, Aperçu, DIN and so on. There's so many decent typefaces to use for clarity in presentation.

Arial, Univers and Calibri are terrible in my opinion. Cheapskate, Facist and boring respectively.

Aug 10, 16 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
urbanity

futura

Aug 10, 16 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

Not a bad choice at all urbanity, Kubrick used it on everything and Nike Just did it.

Aug 10, 16 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
lacalr

Whats the point of using non traditional fonts that differ quite minimally from standard styles such as Arial and Calibri? IMO contractors and subs will not notice the difference at all on a set of CDs. On other sets of drawings and during other phases of design sure, I get that. But like David said earlier, using fonts that everyone doesn't have easy access too can create timely obstacles. 

Aug 11, 16 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

I'm using Walkway Expand Semi, these days for titles and labels.

Aug 11, 16 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
Brud-G

Arial Narrow

Aug 11, 16 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

RomanS

Aug 11, 16 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Arial. All caps...... Why all caps? because if you type in all caps everything fits between the 1/8" parrallel lines, nothing goes below the bottom....for all you milliniels who use lower case letters in Construction. Drawings.....If I ever catch one of you fucks I will smack you silly....learn to draft god damnit.

Aug 11, 16 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Hey now, poor typography is not limited to any one generation.

I've dealt with plenty of old fucks who don't see the beauty of all-caps notation.

Aug 11, 16 6:54 pm  · 
 · 

I've heard more and more people complain about using all caps on drawings. Usually they claim that it is easier to read blocks of text in title case than it is in all caps.

I tell them to stop writing blocks of text on their drawings. If your notations contain more than a few words or short phrases, you're writing too much. Chances are you could have redone the drawing to be clearer, or your writing things on the drawings that belong in the specs.

Oh yeah ... Arial. 

Aug 11, 16 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

but who really reads these drawings? graphically it just looks better all caps. like step away and squint while looking at text ......i like text justified to the side of the call-out. it throws me off when its left justified and the line or arrow are to the right.

Aug 11, 16 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

The reason people use Arial is because its clean and its the default Revit Font....

Aug 11, 16 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
arch76

romans

...we do a lot of concrete work-

Aug 12, 16 2:15 am  · 
 · 

chigurh,

balkins uses comic sans

Ha!

However, I prefer to letter by hand. A good ol' calligraphy pen comes in handy. 

Aug 12, 16 3:37 am  · 
 · 
Bench

for all you milliniels who use lower case letters in Construction. Drawings

Right, because that's definitely a millennial thing. Dang kids! With their phones and their jeans and their facespace, trying to figure out who they are!

Aug 12, 16 4:09 am  · 
 · 

Comic Sans is basically standard san-serif font that we use when we print by hand in a clean manner using a felt tip pen. You can certainly hand letter the font with a technical pen but many comic book fonts used for lettering the caption bubbles are written by hand with a technical pen and fine or ultra-fine felt tip pens. 

Most basically lettering fonts we learn is school is basically comic sans (comic style san-serif) not typography or calligraphy lettering which is more elaborate than what the comic book artists were going to do. Comic San font designer modeled the font after the comic books.

Most hand lettering even by architects resembles comic sans more than the computer generated typographic fonts because most architectural lettering were basic handwriting in all caps. 

Aug 12, 16 4:17 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

no Bench, it really is, because if you were old enough to learn drafting on paper you would understand why All Caps is used and it does not mean we are angry.

Aug 12, 16 7:35 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

but, I am often angry when typing out CDs.

Aug 12, 16 8:07 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

haha. yes I agree. READ THIS GOD DAMN BUILDER!!!!. wonder what would happen if I put exclamation points after Zoning references or Question marks on items I know examiners like to object to?

Aug 12, 16 8:20 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Bedroom, 180 SF, 18 SF Light, 9 SF Air? or Fire Rated Door? or EXIT?

Aug 12, 16 8:22 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i would like to see a movement towards more honest drafting notes.

<---- CLOSED CELL BACKER ROD.  IF YOU USE AN OPEN CELL BACKER ROD, I WILL SET THE HOUNDS OF HELL UPON YOU.  IF I SEE YELLOW STUFF ON SITE I KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS!

Aug 12, 16 9:10 am  · 
 · 
nicholass817

Most hand lettering even by architects resembles comic sans...

Nope...block lettering looks very little like comic sans

Aug 12, 16 9:24 am  · 
 · 

+1 curtkram

I get so tired of answering RFIs when the information is already in the specs so my note would be more like this ...

<----------- BACKER ROD. ALL THE REST OF THE STUFF YOU NEED TO KNOW IS IN THE SPECS. YES THAT BIG BOOK THAT SAYS "PROJECT MANUAL" ON THE FRONT (THE ONE YOU LEAVE IN THE JOB TRAILER FOR A DOOR STOP) CONTAINS THE SPECS. IT WILL TELL YOU WHETHER YOU SHOULD BE USING OPEN CELL OR CLOSED CELL OR BI-CELLULAR BACKER ROD. SEND ME A SUBMITTAL WITH THE WRONG TYPE, OR SEND ME AN RFI ASKING ME WHAT TYPE, AND I WILL SET THE HOUNDS OF HELL UPON YOU.

Aug 12, 16 11:16 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

All my notes should read:

<----- WHY BOTHER, YOU'LL JUST SEND ME THE SAME CUTSHEET FROM YOUR LAST "SIMILAR" PROJECT ANYWAYS.

Aug 12, 16 11:22 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

Nolan.

Because fuck you guys and your default settings.

Aug 12, 16 11:51 am  · 
 · 

Non Sequitur wins.

Aug 12, 16 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^Cheers

Aug 12, 16 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
cipyboy

Helvetica for presentation drawings, Arial/ Roman for Permit / CD

Aug 12, 16 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

remember when Bank Gothic was hot?

Aug 12, 16 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

no.  bank gothic sucks.  must have been the 80s?

Aug 12, 16 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

mid 90's in the midwest

Aug 12, 16 2:20 pm  · 
 · 

^that explains why one of my professors used it all the time.

Aug 12, 16 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

we use helvetica.  easy to read.  tracking is a little wide for my taste as even a concise note can get kind of long and or bulky on the page. 

Aug 12, 16 3:14 pm  · 
 · 

Bank Gothic.......... ha ha ha.

Aug 12, 16 3:44 pm  · 
 · 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLOgTz26BBs

Modern Architectural lettering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBMUWILhw_I

More videos from the person who did the previous videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheModmin/videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky5p-L_m6BQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4A6zKSu9tg

Other architectural stuff from the guy who did the previous two videos because I thought they are good resource among many on the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/user/howtoarchitect/videos

Another video: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_wsxTHJbvg

Some more videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR7kHmdxBL4

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFvXZ6nm_Mwe3SNvdF3f8YQ/videos

Aug 12, 16 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

you think helvetica is bad, try nolan.

Aug 12, 16 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

futura bold italic, 72 point, blood red.  kruger style.

Aug 12, 16 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
TedTedTed

Arial Narrow, which took a lot of convincing of people to move away from the Revit standard of Arial.  I like that it takes up less space (I use it in Word, Excel, Bluebeam, etc.).

I always joke about wanting to produce a drawing set with everything typed out in Wingdings, though...

Aug 15, 16 8:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: