Archinect
anchor

How much to charge?

eddyramone

Hey guys,

I've never designed a restaurant re-design before. I was hoping to get an idea of how much to charge a client (more or less).

There are 3 pre-existing buildings (a bank / a deli & a hair salon), in an 8,500 SF space. They are going to be demo'd and have  1,300 SF Latin Restaurant, and a 5,200 SF Beer Hall with a 2,000 SF outdoor patio put in its place instead.

The site is currently in a Suburban strip mall. Would this be a lump sum or hourly rate? How much is a typical fare lump sum for something like this?

I'll probably need to do some field measuring too...thank you friends.

Ed

Aug 10, 16 10:14 am
senjohnblutarsky

What does the client want to do? What do you usually do? What do you usually charge? 

Are you even a licensed Architect? 

Aug 10, 16 10:25 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

"'ll probably need to do some field measuring too"

Sounds like you're well on your way.

Aug 10, 16 10:30 am  · 
 · 
poop876

is the strip sprinklered? what is your fire area? change of use obviously! zoning requirement? parking? so many variable and I think you are in way over your head on this one. 

Aug 10, 16 10:35 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

the price is 1 million dollars -  this forum is getting more surrealist than it can be

Aug 10, 16 10:35 am  · 
 · 
x intern
Find out if it can be done with city. Get a price from all your consultants. If you don't have engineering team you are not ready.
Figure out how long you think it will take (double it) and multiply by your billing rate.
Add these together and decide if it's worth the headache. These kinds of jobs are a time suck in ca so don't forget that.
Aug 10, 16 10:58 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I'd prefer lump sum, with a couple meetings, 2 or 3 concepts, bake field measurements into the price.  Sprinklers can be design build by contractor, but you'll prob elec, mech, and plumbing. 

this could be a pretty big project for moonlighting, might be hard to complete in a timely manner.

What happened with your grocery store?

Aug 10, 16 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

136k plus my estimating fee of 15k.

Aug 10, 16 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

25% cost of construction - nothing less.

Aug 10, 16 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

you know hat is an impossible question, but since you have never done one before it should be free for your portfolio.

Aug 10, 16 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

I've never heard anybody in our field use the term 'preexisting'

Aug 10, 16 9:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: