Archinect
anchor

M Arch I Hopeful w/ Low GPA and a Lot of Questions

WannabeArchi

Hey so here's my situation,

I'm a recent graduate of the University of South Carolina with a BA in Philosophy with a heavy tilt in the arts (art studio classes/papers on art/art history/history of architecture). I have plenty of work to put into a portfolio for an M Arch application so I'm not worried about that. My real concern lies with my grades and recommendations...I finished with a 2.3 GPA and didn't really bother to build any relationships with my professors while in school, except a few that I connected with due being "gifted but lazy".

I'm currently studying for the GRE, working on my portfolio, and figuring out possible recommenders so I can apply for programs that start next fall.

So to put things into a couple of clear questions...what is my best course of action? Keep doing what I am doing? Should I take a couple classes on the side to pump my CV and a also grab a couple recommendations as well? What to do?

I should also add that the blandness and overall crappiness of life has beaten the lazy out of me and I am eager to work hard achieve this dream of mine.

Thanks guys!

Aug 8, 16 12:17 pm
EJimenez

I am in a similar situation as WannabeArchi. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 8, 16 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
Jamb'd

Try to get an interview/meeting with the Director of the MArch program.  Ultimately, the director is the decision maker and you can convince them of your seriousness.  You will also probably need a good portfolio to offset your GPA, so spend some time on it.

Aug 8, 16 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
Driko

Go take some design courses at a community college and start to build a portfolio. Your not getting into Harvard but im sure you can get into a decent architecture school if you really show interest. 

-take GRE ASAP and just get a decent score. I will let you in on a little secret, Most architecture schools dont care about your GRE because most architecture schools are hungry for funding (I.E your tuition dollars) and you and others can disagree with me but go check out any architecture program and you will see that their facilities and location on campus are sub-par to all other programs at the university besides the other fine and applied art programs. the schools that are fine with their funding are the ivies and Michigan. but most programs are run down and that is simply because no one cares about those programs so the admissions board for arch programs realizes that if they want their job they need to sell you on their program. They make it seem like its a prestigious difficult program to get into but don't buy it. Go to a school that will offer you the most in education and financial aid.  anyways get the GRE out of the way and focus on portfolio.

-Architecture design course

-drawing course

-A course with photoshop and illustrator 

-i would also recommend a Graphic Design Course (IMO architecture professors at the academic level on average care more about presentation and graphics more than the architecture is self)

Then after you have a pretty decent semester and understanding of these basic skills and design concepts enter into 2 or more competitions architecture/design that you can add to your design portfolio. 

Im sure if you do these you will be accepted into most M.Arch programs, You will meet people who will motivate you, professors to write recommendation letters, and you will find you if you enjoy spending weeks working on the same design job.

Aug 11, 16 3:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: