Archinect
anchor

Looking to get back into architectural design... Your thoughts?

kchoi616

Hello all. I'm an Arch. graduate (5-yr design program) with 2 years of work experience at a construction management firm (and still working). I am getting more and more bored and unhappy with my job and my career as an architectural/civil engineer, and my desire to get back into designing is getting uncontrollably stronger by each passing day. I simply do not find construction or engineering interesting or exciting in any ways, shape or form (which I should have looked into more before I chose my current work... meh. shoulda, woulda, coulda) 

I initially made the conscience decision not to pursue architectural design after graduation, simply because I was horrified to see the lifestyle, the low pay and long working hours that most architects faced. But nowadays, I realize that not having any passion in what you do career-wise is just as horrifying, if not more so.

Well... regardless of what I claim to know about the profession and the ramifications of me leaving my current work to re-pursue design, I felt the need to gain some insight as to what my choice would bring about. Please feel free to share any thoughts or comments, including any opinions or helpful advices i.e. whether I should go through with the plan or not, possibility of design firms accepting me as a junior architect (or an intern, if need be... I'm guessing I need to start out as an intern regardless, due to my lack of professional experience as an architect), etc.

It'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

P.S. By the way, I've been offered a job as an AutoCAD designer at a major corp. (not a design firm), where I'll be in charge of designing layouts for medical equipment/facility installations, producing drawings, overseeing these procedures, etc. My plan is to use this as a chance to prepare time to update my portfolio, re-learn some of the design tools and programs, etc. and apply for an actual design firm after a year or so. What are your thoughts on this? Let me know !!

Aug 7, 16 11:03 pm
accesskb

Have you actually worked at a design firm before?  You probably won't be doing any meaningful design work 80% of the time.  No one does really unless you're Bjarke or Zumthor, in which case you can design and get the CAD monkeys to do the dirty work.

Aug 8, 16 3:23 am  · 
 · 
DeTwan

How much money is the new "Autocad designer" position offering you?

How does it compare to your existing income?

Sounds like any other low paying, long hours, cad monkey job in 'architecture'....

Aug 8, 16 6:40 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Do you get out in the field much in your current job? I always though a bad day in the field beats a good day in the office anytime.

Aug 8, 16 8:05 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: