Archinect
anchor

Advice for getting into either real estate dev. or construction management? IIT Masters?

lkjh54321

Hello,

I am a recent college graduate. When I picked my major I regrettably wanted to do Public Relations as a career and after doing an internship in commercial real estate changed my mind the last semester of senior year, when it was already too late for undergrad. My other experience on resume is entrepreneurial, I have started multiple successful small businesses while in school. 

The whole world of development strongly interests me and I would love to be overseeing development projects from start to finish as a career. I have management experience with my own businesses and enjoy it. I would like to one day run my own development firm but obviously need to learn the ropes first. 

I have not been getting any interviews with real estate developers/construction companies, it is rather frustrating not having opportunity to even interview for entry level/internship positions. I am considering doing the Masters of Construction Management at IIT in Chicago. What are your thoughts on this? Would this likely get me in the door with the degree but no prior real world experience? 

Another option would be getting a Masters of Entrepreneurship at DePaul which will give me a business degree and even more importantly teach me new entrepreneurial skills. Every faculty member in the program has founded at least 1 business and the program is highly ranked. It would be a great experience although may not lead to getting interviews either. 

I also could become a commercial real estate broker. Sales roles in general I have been getting interviews for almost every one I apply and already had some offers. 

Aug 3, 16 12:39 am
awkeytect

There are many points of entry into development seeing as to how it is a blend of finance, law, policy, design, and construction Take a peak at the training listed in the Bios of executives and VP's....without the experience, you'll likely need an MBA or equivalent Masters in Real Estate of some kind to get in the door of established shops. 

Aug 4, 16 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
lkjh54321

Thanks for the response. I took a look at the team pages and see lots of business, finance, mba, economics, etc. not just real estate/construction management degrees. Also I talked to IIT. I can not do the masters without the related undergrad. 

If I had experience with a commercial brokerage starting as analyst or working at a construction/development firm and a masters of entrepreneurship from DePaul do you think I would get interviews at development firms or that I really NEED the Masters of Real Estate instead? I love entrepreneurship and would like to improve those skills but would also be happy doing the Masters of Real Estate if that is really needed to get me in the door/ progress my career as a broker if I go that route to doing very large deals. I also would need to study for the GRE/GMAT for the MSRE as the Entrepreneurship program it was not a requirement which would push this back a few months. 

I have a third round interview to be an analyst next week. I also have a third round for a more administrative part time position on the high end residential construction side of a firm. These are the only two interviews I have gotten out of a ton of applications. I made it to a third interview with both which is why I assume my real issue is not having the degree to get that initial contact/interviews for 90% of jobs I am applying to. 

Aug 10, 16 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
DanielMiller

Career in real estate is a best option for the young, ambitious and for the ones who wants to make there career in public relations. Real estate broker career NJ demands the right balance of motivation, social skills and negotiation tactics and can be an extremely rewarding career path. It's an exciting but demanding industry that offers a lot of independence.

Mar 8, 17 5:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: