Archinect
anchor

2017 application to GSD--Advise wanted

linhou

Hello great people, I didn't know how to post the pictures as a comment for my previous thread, so I open a new one. I am still working on my portfolio, but I really want your great comments. I don't know if it is a good idea to post portfolio here since I am going to use it, but I post few screen shots for advise. 

I am a senior at Pitt ( honor ) TA for twice, few honor awards and fellowships, GPA 3.75, GRE, just took it without study--144+162+3 ( I need to study hard on verbal, hate those vocabulary) I visited couple school, and I like GSD not because it is Harvard. I just don't know what my path could be, and I am a Chinese student, so I want to learn something that I can use if I plan to go back. I am interested in design and sustainability, so I want to do dual major in architecture design and landscape design in GSD. I may take a gap year if I couldn't get in. But I don't know if it is a good idea of not. Let me know if you have any related experience. I will be really appreciated. 

I am thinking Columbia, Yale, Carnell, Princeton as well. Hate hot weather, so prefer East coast hahahaha. 

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 27, 16 12:42 pm
linhou
Maybe people didn't see this one.
Jul 27, 16 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
Renzo's Piano

What you should do is upload your whole portfolio on issuu.com and post that link here, so we can get a better look than just four random images. 

Also, two things. First, it's "Cornell." Second, you are seriously misinformed if you think that the northeast can't get as hot as other parts of the country. For example, here in San Francisco it's 65 degrees out…

Anyway, issuu.com. Much easier to see your portfolio as a whole and not just a couple spreads randomly thrown together.

Jul 27, 16 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
Driko

-improve your verbal score. get over a 153 (imo)

-Statement of Purpose> post this here or have a friend who is excellent with grammar and punctuation  help you. Also refine your idea of why you want to go to GSD. You have thousands of applicants to these top schools every year saying that they want to go there NOT because of the name but because of "passion" or what ever other crap. Based on your list you only picked the top schools so it does make it seem that you only want to go to gsd because of the harvad name (which is fine, who doesnt want to go to harvard). What about UCLA, Berkeley, Seattle, Virginia, Texas, Wash U, ect all great schools. Weather should not determine your passion. I know your smarter to say that in an official statement but i hope this helps you define a better reason to attend gsd. Read some previous posts from the past. A lot of people have great advice here.

-portfolio> clean this up. IMO it doesnt look clean. Your projects are fine but your layout isnt so great. Since these schools will have thousands of applicants they will skim through most portfolios. So make your portfolio clean. Take a look at others on issuu for some inspiration. 

-Dont sweat it if you dont get into GSD you should have a good shot into at least one of these schools. DO take a look at the west coast because the weather shouldn't scare you away. 

goodluck

Jul 28, 16 10:33 am  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

"Hate hot weather, so prefer East coast hahahaha"

yeah i'm dying right now in Cambridge with no AC.  It's 95 but the humidity is a real killer

Jul 28, 16 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
linhou

@Renzo's Piano 

I have looked at Issue for a long time, and a lot of them are really good. I will for sure upload it when it is completed. Only because right now I am still revise it and the tone of portfolio is struggling me for a long time. I want to stand out from normal application, but like other's side, it is not clean enough. I get advise from  a lot of professors who graduated from Harvard and MIT. I hope in couple month, it can have a huge improvement.  I am sorry that I said I pick east because of the weather. I love snow and I am just get used to east coast for 5 years. Anyway, I consider Berkley, UCLA, SCI-Arc as well, but just if I can stay in east, I am more willing to choose to attend those schools. 

@Driko

Thank you so much for spending your time for the writing. Harvard last year verbal average is 157. I know myself very well and I think that my maximum can only be 150. I was struggled with SAT 4 years ago, so here I am again with GRE. I know that it will for sure hurt me, but I want to use my other materials to cover for me. I will go visit some people that my friend who graduated from Harvard couple years ago introduced to me in early September. So I hope the freshmen can give me more tips for applications. The layout is really killing me, I want to to be more my style? but I hear you. I work closely with writing center and other professors who helps me a lot with my personal statement and recommendations. I will post it here when it has been revised couple times at least. Thanks again, have to study vocabulary now. =)

@Dangermouse

It won't stay long. we have four seasons at least. 

Jul 28, 16 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Proofreading is crucial.  To Driko's good list, I'd add spelling.

Your thread title here has an obvious spelling error.  It's not an uncommon one, and it's not a crime.  But if you want to put forth your absolute best, take time to check your work.

Jul 28, 16 2:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: