Archinect
anchor

Thoughts on Graduate Schools

connect.12

I recently graduated from ASU with a BSD in architectural studies, & I'm having difficulty reading between the lines to interpret graduate schools' strengths and weaknesses. I'm very interested in environmental design, sustainability and most importantly a design-focused, more traditional program. I'm not so interested in a highly technical, science-based program. Could anyone offer impressions of M.Arch programs at the following schools, or recommend anything unlisted? Thanks!

UCLA

USC

UC Berkeley

Cal Poly Pomona

SCI-Arc (heard it's pretty radical over there?)

Parsons

Pratt

Columbia

U Penn

UT Austin

Texas A&M

Rice

U Miami (FL)

Jul 27, 16 1:25 pm
Non Sequitur

Is google broken?

Jul 27, 16 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

you missed a lot of schools in your list

Jul 27, 16 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
lacalr

Try looking at the work from those schools. You can google them or even look on the Archinect site under Academia - Schools. I would base a lot of my opinion on first impressions of student work, professors, living environment and most importantly cost (don't forget financial aid and scholarships). If you're interested in environmental design make sure the schools value it as well and prioritize it. Professors that specialize in enviro design is key as well. 

Jul 27, 16 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
Renzo's Piano

Lol Non Sequitur….

Also, Caroline, what exactly do you mean by "technical, science-based program," because I interpret that in two different ways. You could either mean a school that's based in construction science and building systems, or you could mean a school that has a focus on computer science and parametric tendencies. If it's the former, I would encourage you to understand those schools a bit more as they might have a lot to offer you based on your desire to want a traditional program focused around environmental design and sustainability. Those schools from your list would mostly be (and forgive me if I misplace one as I haven't studied all of their programs): UT Austin, Cal Poly, Berkeley, and A&M. Possibly USC and Rice, but I'm not for certain on that. If you aren't interested in computer science, parametrics, or heavily theory-based programs, then from your list I would remove: SCI-Arc, UCLA, Parsons, Pratt, Columbia, and Penn. I would also stay away from schools like Michigan, and MIT.

So your list should look something like this: UT Austin, Berkeley, Cal Poly and A&M. I would also add Oregon to your list, and probably keep in USC and Rice, as they're focused on building systems but are also very design/theory oriented.

Hope that helps.

Jul 27, 16 6:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: