Archinect
anchor

Architecture in Dallas. What to see.

OoohnooO

Been a while since I have posted but heading to Dallas, TX in September for a weekend. I was wondering if anyone would recommend some great places and buildings to see? I know the usuals like The Wylie Theatre and Myerson Orchestra; is there anything else? As well as whats some good pizza spots? Thanks for reading everyone. 

Jul 26, 16 11:34 pm
greatescape

Hmm. Nope. Go home.

Jul 27, 16 12:10 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

As a Dallas survivor for you to years, I can honestly say that Dallas is one of the better cities for the arts in the south...

Possible places to check out...

Botanical gardens

Nascher Sculpture Garden

Kimbell Art Museum (In Ft Worth, but my top architectural destination in the metroplex. Where else in the world can you see Louis Khan melded with Renzo Piano??)

Modern Art Museum of Ft Worth(next to Kimbell)

The Sixth Floor Museum

Magnolia Hotel

Adolphus Hotel

Perot Nature Science Museum

Bush Presidential Library & SMU Campus

Depends what you consider "good pizza." If you want good pizza in Texas, best head to Houston or Austin. My favorite spot(New York Style) is Joe's Pizza. I frequented the one in Frisco, a bit of a drive up the north tollway if you're more focused on Dallas proper. 

Jul 27, 16 2:05 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The Dallas Cowboy Stadium (or whatever they are calling it now - the new one)

Jul 27, 16 7:08 am  · 
 · 
nicholass817

All the places LITS4FormZ listed plus the Water Gardens in Fort Worth, Thanksgiving Square, Rachofsky House (have to make an appointment, but worth it), the rest of the arts district in Dallas, and Northpark Mall....not for the architecture, but the art.  Northpark is (was?) owned by the Nashers and is the reason they commissioned Piano for the Scupture Center in the arts district.  

There's a great Chicago Style pizza joint in Arlington called Gino's East at the southeast corner of Collins and I-30.  Takes about an hour for your pie to cook sometimes....so be prepared. Oh and Cowboys/AT&T Stadium is right around the corner if you really want to see it.  

Jul 27, 16 8:29 am  · 
 · 
x intern
Arts district in Dallas has a bunch of new buildings by the current staritects
Kimbell is a big one. Have a few calatrava briges that look good from a distance
Head to deep elem or bishop arts/oak cliff to eat. Everything north of downtown is just urban sprawl
Jul 27, 16 10:19 am  · 
 · 
OoohnooO

Thanks everyone for the recommendations, I'm looking forward to going there. I did not know Calatrava had bridges in Dallas. X Intern I was worried about that, the urban sprawled portion of Dallas, I'll check those places out as well. Much thanks. 

Jul 28, 16 9:41 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

i just got back from ft. worth. the cultural district there is a must with the kimbell, the modern and the amon carter museum. the frank stella show at the modern was tremendous. also, i found but didnt eat at a neopolitan pizza joint in fort worth called Cane Rosso. find yourself a great chicken fried steak while you're there.

Jul 29, 16 7:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: