Archinect
anchor

Contract Documents check list

hello everyone

I am looking for a complete check list form to review the documents that I receive from architects and engineers (mep and structural).

the projects usually are hotels, and luxury homes.

Do you know where i can find something like that ?

thank you

Jul 22, 16 2:14 pm

Jorge, are you a contractor, owner, architect, engineer, code official, etc.? What are you trying to check the documents for (pricing/cost estimating, design, completeness, etc.)?

Jul 22, 16 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

something like this:

• do the documents adequately convey the information needed to make the decision you need to make
  • if not, please submit documents that adequately convey the information needed to make the decision you need to make
  • that's it.
Jul 22, 16 4:01 pm  · 
 · 

I am working with a developer and we usually hire Architecture firms for our projects and we would like to have a tool where we can check all of their works.

Jul 22, 16 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞
This makes little sense.
Jul 22, 16 5:23 pm  · 
 · 

Check their work for what exactly?

... to know whether it meets code? That's the professional liability the architect takes on and the code officials are supposed to be checking (in other words, its not your job). If it turns out the building doesn't meet code, feel free to sue the architect for breach of contract (you do have a signed contract in place for each project, right?).

... to know whether they are implementing the design direction you are giving them? They should be able to show you and explain it to you. If not, hire a better architect.

... to verify their estimates are accurate? Hire an independent cost estimator, or hire a GC for pre-construction cost-estimating services. Keep in mind that their estimates are only estimates, not quotations on how much the project will cost.

Jul 22, 16 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

The contract is the tool.

unless you're going to be checking their life safety analysis, structural calculations, specifications, contract language, but why would you do that? That's why you hire them? Not sure what you're looking for here. 

If you're looking to see if they meet minimum submittal requirements, those checklists are usually listed on the AHJ's website. 

Jul 22, 16 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Just noticed you're in Costa Rica. Everything I said relates to the US. I have no idea about Costa Rica. 

Jul 22, 16 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Hire someone who knows how to do the job, like, say, an architect
Jul 23, 16 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
Jeep

thank you everyone.

what we are really looking for it's a spread sheet or something like that where we can verify for example how many sheets they have to deliver. I know that depends on how big is the project but we want to know if there is a minimum to expect from them besides the plans.

By the way, we are in CR but we hire American Architecture Firms !

Jul 25, 16 2:12 pm  · 
 · 

There is no spreadsheet like the one you are looking for. 

As far as what to expect from your architect besides plans, your Owner-Architect Agreement should indicate those expectations. For example, the AIA has standard forms of agreement that indicate what is expected for documentation at the Schematic Design, Design Development, and Construction Documents phases. See AIA B101 for an example (look at articles 3.2 through 3.4).

So, like wurdan freo said above, "the contract is the tool."

Jul 25, 16 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
Jeep

thank you very much.

i will check on that !

Jul 26, 16 11:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: