Archinect
anchor

Can Licensed Architects act as Landscape Architects?

justinritchey17

I know that with a architecture license a architect can legally act as a interior designer and even work as a urban designer, but what about landscape architecture? Does the license reach this far, or is landscape architecture a completely different field with its own individual license that does not overlap like interior design? I know landscape architects have their own licensure process, but what level of public landscape work can a licensed architect do with in their legal boundaries? Thanks for any answers.

Jul 22, 16 12:36 pm
x-jla

No.  Typically only if it's incidental to an arch project, however, much grey area for public works as you can call it "urban design" or "public art" and simply team up with a LA for CDs.  

Jul 22, 16 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

See Robert Irwins Getty center gardens.  

Jul 22, 16 1:54 pm  · 
 · 

What do the practice laws say in the jurisdiction that you are wondering about?

Jul 22, 16 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Also, what kind of public work?   Highway embankments would be a stretch, but a small public garden or park could be defined as public art...where you would essentially be protected constitutionally under the 1st amendment from engaging.  Just avoid the term LA.  

Jul 22, 16 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

And yes, check your states laws...Illinois and a few others do not regulate LA practice.  

Jul 22, 16 2:04 pm  · 
 · 

I agree with Jla for the most part (Il started regulating practice this year, from nothing at all to title act) . But also consider projects like the highline (Field operations wins the competition, dsr drives the bus and get the primary line due to state registration laws/barriers). And the landscape architectural services for the Olympic Sculpture park in Seattle were done by a now defunct firm Charles Anderson, but the asla award initially went to Weiss Manfredi (causing a stink).

All these cases benefit architects and engineers, but you still need to check on state guidelines to see where thesand is drawn in the line. Here's a start. 

Jul 22, 16 2:33 pm  · 
 · 

justin,

Depends on the state or country. In short, it depends on the jurisdiction. You need to consult an attorney or actually do the nitty gritty dirty boring work of reading the laws and rules of the jurisdiction instead of asking a bunch of anonymous people on an internet forum.

or shorter.....

what E_I said.

Jul 22, 16 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
justinritchey17

Thanks for all of the advice. I will look into the laws of my state.

Jul 24, 16 11:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: