Archinect
anchor

Arriving in Montréal in Québéc CA

giovannidefranceschi

Hi!

I'm Giovanni an Architect, from Italy. I worked in Italy, french Belgium and a little bit in Australia in the past five years. Next month I will arrive in Montréal (Québec) for my WHV.

I really want to find a job in architecture office,

I use classics software like AutoCAD, Sketchup, Photoshop, Vray, Revit, Archicad, Vectorworks and 3D Studio. I speak French (fluent as Italian) and English and  and I have some experience... but I don't know if I can work as an Architect in Canada.

Someone know if the European degree its recognised there? Can I work for another office without the recognition of the architectural degree, maybe like a drafter?

I have also some other trouble about working there:

- Where i can find basics techniques and rules about building construction? Do you know some internet site or online technical bookstore? libraries? Which are the most used software there?

- There is some kind of boards to find job offers, what's the best way to find a job, going door by door in the city or sending resume by mail?

If someone have a similar experience coming from Europe to work there like an architect it would be great to have a little chat :)

Thanks for your help!

cheers

Jul 21, 16 12:23 pm
Non Sequitur

You can work in any office that will hire you however, what you cannot do is work or portray yourself as an architect without first having your academic background (degree) verified and your experience evaluated. You will most likely need to take a french equivalency exams and participate in in-person interviews with the OAQ. Plus you need to pay the registration fees ($1000 per year). Software is as per your experience... mostly autodesk products, not so much with archicad or vector unless it's a very small office.

The province of Quebec runs on the National Building Code of Canada (NBC). You will need to familiarize yourself with these regulations since they vary greatly from other countries. Accessibility laws are also different and let's not forget snow-loads and insulation details for -40C winters. You can also get acquainted with Canadian practice standards by reading the CHOP and any CHMC publications. Links below:

Canadian Architectural Certification Board

Ordre des architectes du Quebec

Canadian Handbook of Practice

National Building Code of Canada

CHMC Building Design

Canadian Centre for Architecture

This link is specifically from architects registered in France who wish to apply for a Quebec license.

Jul 21, 16 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
hgbzpa1

GDF

I suspect that the WHV is some kind of special work visa?  If not you may not be able to get a job.  There appears to be work in the Province and Montreal would be a good place to start.  Check into the Architecture School at McGill University to get a "lay of the land".  If you are working for a firm you do not have to be licensed because you are under supervision of other licensed architects.  If you are planning to stay and become an architect then the previous commentator is correct.  Canada, particularly French Canada has very restrictive emigration policies and I believe that it takes over two years to receive citizenship.  My daughter just went through this and she's married to a Canadian and her children have Canadian citizenship.  Everyone is emulating the US in closing down emigration policies unless you're going to invest $500,000 (no typo) in a business in Canada.  Hopefully PM Trudeau will loosen some of these restrictions, but I doubt it.  Emigrants don't vote at first.

Best of luck

hgb

Jul 21, 16 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Right, this person ^ ^ has no idea what they're talking about. I genuinely suspect it is a bot.

WHV = Working Holiday Visa. You can work with no restrictions, outside your alloted time windows, for a firm.  McGill will have literally no way to help you in getting a job, as they are busy getting their own students into work.

You can work in production for an office, no problem. If you want to get your degree verified for purposes of licensure, that will cost extra cash. That is common in any country for transfers.

Finally, no idea how the market is in Montreal, it is very boom-bust. I suggest hitting up any connections. Best of luck.

Jul 21, 16 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Who's the bot?

Jul 21, 16 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
Bench
Hgzpa.
If you're in Canada on youth mobility/working holiday then you won't have to pay any other immigration fees; no idea why that person is throwing around the 500k figure - completely irrelevant.
Jul 22, 16 3:56 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Recruiting firms are always bothering me and it seems most of the time it's for work in the less usefull places. Not sure if take an applicant who uses a service to gain employment over someone who makes the effort themselves.

Bench, I have no idea what the $500k figure is either. Besides that, I've found through my colleagues that salaries are generally lower in Quebec firms, esp in Montreal. Probably do to larger entry level applicant pool.
Jul 22, 16 8:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: