Archinect
anchor

First job out of college - NYC

sizatheday

Hi, 

I was wondering how people went about finding entry level jobs in NYC. I just graduated with a B.Arch and not that much experience. I've interned at a couple firms, but nothing more than 3 months. I was wondering if it's better to try and get a 6-8 month internship first, then look for a job once I have a better network/ more experience in the city. 

Jul 20, 16 5:16 pm
awaiting_deletion

get a job. send out 400 rseumes and take the first real salary even if its "boring".

Jul 20, 16 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
Archi49

Are you from NY or did you go to school in NY? If the answer is yes, you should have connections from personal life or school who can help place you in a firm. By the time I graduated 4 professors wanted me to work for them. If youre not a New Yorker, why do you want to be here? Why didn't you think about studying here so you can get connections? It is extremely difficult for an outsider to succeed here unless the went to a top tier school. Send out your resume to every one. Don't think anywhere is beneath you. Start looking for alternative paths. Don't think working in NY is all that glamorous. Good luck!

Jul 20, 16 11:46 pm  · 
 · 

I assume by your question that you don't live in NYC? Having three previous internships will help you find an entry level position so just looking for a slightly longer internship won't be beneficial. Despite what many people think, getting a job in New York isn't more difficult than any other city, in fact you could argue it is easier since there are almost unlimited options. Depending on which office(s) you are applying, they will be more open to "cold" applications (connections). Networking is certainly important but it isn't the answer to every potential job. 

Assuming you are applying from out of the city make sure you mention in your cover letter that you will be in the city during a specific date range for interviews. If you can, set up a trip to fit as many interviews as possible into a given week. This will cost you up front but will give you peace of mind having either landed a job or got an inside look at the current hiring market, available positions, salaries, etc.

Here are a couple articles that might be helpful for you:

5 Tips On How To Get An Architecture Internship

7 Questions Answered By The World’s Top Architecture Firms On What They Look For In Job Applications

Good luck!

Jul 21, 16 12:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: