Archinect
anchor

How to pursue M.Arch degree after a non-related Bachelors degree?

Hello

I am engineering graduate from NTU, Singapore and currently working in the software industry.

As part of my summer internships experience, I got the opportunity to work alongside architecture and engineering consultants for buildings. It sparked my interest in architecture.

I am extemely interested in pursuing a masters in architecture in a good school in the Us in two years or so. i am aware of school offering M.Arch course for students from non-related backgorund.

However, I have some queries regarding this:

1. Is it possible to get into the top 10/20 schools in the US for MArch course from a non-related UG degree?

2. What requirements do they look out for? What are their portfolio requirements?

3.Do GRE scores play a vital role? Is it necessary to get recommendations from people in the related field?

4. Also, does you work line matter? 

I think I am on the artistic side.I love to sketch, paint, make handicrafts, photography and I have been actively involved in design clubs. 

I would love if I could get some inputs on this. Thanks a bunch :)

Jul 19, 16 10:16 pm
Dangermouse

1) yes

2) intelligence, drive, and a reason for studying architecture.  portfolio requirements vary by program

3) yes and yes.  just hit the schools median GRE/GPA, and get some good recommendations which speak to your work ethic and aptitude. 

4) no

my 2c: architecture is ~10%, at most, "design" like you describe (sketching, handcrafts, photography) and 90% marketing, document production, project management, and dealing with clients.  just realize, going in, that you probably wont do high-level design work at the beginning of your career

Jul 19, 16 11:54 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks a lot for your reply! :)

Jul 20, 16 2:16 am  · 
 · 

Any other advice on this? :)

Aug 11, 16 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
lacalr

Try looking at a wider variety of schools? Ones that don't rank as high on certain arbitrary scales... There are so many good schools out there and you may personally even do better in those programs. I dont know though, cause it may be different if you are an international student and want to practice in a different country. Maybe name/ranking of schools matter more? It's all about how you present yourself to the school through your portfolio/statement/recommendations. Also get someone who really knows you to write you a recommendation. A good unique and thoughtful rec. is a lot better then a generic one from someone who you may see as more relevant. 

Aug 12, 16 3:46 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks for your reply! Could you suggest schools I can look into?

Cheers!

Aug 15, 16 2:01 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: