Archinect
anchor

Good books to read during vacation!!!

AspiringArchitect

hey guys...

i am a second year architecture student and i just have my mid term break at the moment....not much stuff to do so i thought i would cultivate a habit of reading.......can u guys recommend any good books?????

Jul 19, 16 5:06 am
archiwutm8

The ten books on architecture by Vitruvius.

Jul 19, 16 5:53 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
"Waging Heavy Peace" by Neil Young.
Jul 19, 16 6:13 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

One day in the life of ivan denisovich

Jul 19, 16 7:24 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
"Last chance to see" by Douglas Adams is my favorite. Try and find the version with the foreword by Dawkins.
Jul 19, 16 7:27 am  · 
 · 

For An Architecture of Reality by Michael Benedikt is a lovely rumination on materiality in existence. it's short and easy to read, but contains serious ideas. Similarly, Thermal Delight in Architecture by Lisa Heschong makes one think about the body in space in both prosaic and romantic ways.

Jimenez Lai's Citizens of No Place is a great dystopian story and a beautiful graphic novel -read it for the line weights, alone!

Where'd You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Sempel is a hilarious novel starring the character who is IMO the best portrayal of the architect psyche I've ever read.

A controversial non-architecture-related novel of the summer is Underground Airlines by Ben H. Winters and it is fantastic - sort of noir detective, sort of science fiction, definitely political.

Jul 19, 16 8:46 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Mastery by Robert Greene

Jul 19, 16 9:35 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Kenneth Frampton's Modern Architecture

Jul 20, 16 7:12 am  · 
 · 
Sam Apoc

I found Delirious New York entertaining.  Recommended if you like Koolhaas / tongue-in-cheek revisionist history / New York City architectural history

Jul 20, 16 11:28 am  · 
 · 
proto

not much recent reading in architecture...:

wasn't all that impressed with jeff manaugh's "a burglar's guide to the city"...was hoping for more

more fiction of late, not necessarily current:

H is for Hawk, Helen Macdonald  -- little too much navel-gazing for me

Shogun, james clavell -- a return to a good summer read

the goldfinch, donna tartt -- great read

smilla's sense of snow, peter hoeg -- odd and enjoyable

empire of the summer moon, sc gwynne -- history of the native america

the power of one, bryce courtenay -- solid start to finish

Jul 20, 16 2:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: