Archinect
anchor

(Help)Get into Harvard GSD

Lin Hou

I am in architecture studies in University of Pittsburgh with gap 3.75. I think my portfolio is good but I don't know about others. How difficult for me to get in GSD ( really bad at GRE, btw) I am applying in upcoming December.

Thanks so much for tips and advice!!!!  =)

Jul 19, 16 12:32 am
accesskb

Easiest way - probably get Dad to make a sizeable donation to GSD. 

Jul 19, 16 12:49 am  · 
 · 
Driko

you probably have a great shot as long as you get an average gre score and lets see your portfolio. also, focus on work experience/ outside academic architecture related projects. Schools love to see that you were involved in design competitions and the personal statement can have a good impact. Your gpa is more than good enough for GSD.

Jul 19, 16 9:48 am  · 
 · 
natematt

I've always really enjoyed this article.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/03/28/wal-mart-has-a-lower-acceptance-rate-than-harvard/

Jul 19, 16 11:23 am  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

i am starting at the GSD in the fall.  couple of things.

1) it depends on your portfolio.  i cant make a judgement based on the single image you posted

2) GPA is fine

3) your GRE isn't critical but if its "really bad" you could be in trouble.  try to have a GRE score within 10% of the mean, data for which can be found using the google.  

4) make sure the GSD is for you.  no offense, but for a lot of people the thought of having the h-bomb on their resume overrides all other considerations.  there are many great schools around the country, some of which might have faculty/focus areas that align with your design and career interests.  this is important, because if your letter of interest is "i want to study at harvard, because harvard" then you probably won't get in without godlike GPA/portfolio/connections.  

Jul 19, 16 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
MinimalCrazy

People hire people to do portfolios. I know several people who got into GSD by hiring people.The academic system acceptance/grading system is generally flawed in most schools.

Jul 20, 16 12:34 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^That's sad.

Jul 20, 16 5:12 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

^ Getting through life without any skills? yeah it happens everyday.

Jul 20, 16 5:52 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Was there not some wanker on these boards who wasted like 25K of his parent's money for a PR rep to get preferential treatment at GSD (or some other school like that)?

Jul 20, 16 8:35 am  · 
 · 
linhou

Hey guys, thank you so much for the tips! I start to get worried about all the applications stuff.  my stupid GRE is 144(verbal)+162(Math), and 3 for writing. I will take once or twice in the fall.Just the vocabulary is taking forever to remember. Do you think that it is worth it if I take a gap year if I didn't get in GSD, but lets say Upen, or Berkeley? I want to give myself another chance ( honestly, I am just not confident enough) because even though I am a honor student in my school and I have few awards and fellowships, Harvard or Columbia still seems like impossible ( I have no idea why I think so). Thanks for responding me!! Anything could help me I will take it! 

Jul 26, 16 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Non Sequitur I think it was 35k, but it wasn't for school applications, it was for his entry-level professional reputation after he graduated.  As I recall even the PR expert was reluctant to take him on, and tried to tell him he didn't have enough professional work in his portfolio to make it worth doing.

Jul 26, 16 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
hsk880

linhou - wow. is there a particular reason you want to attend GSD? I think Berkeley and UPenn are perfectly good schools. I am sure you can get similar level of education at those school if you put yourself at work. I don't think it's worth waiting at all unless you: 1. get a good scholarship from GSD 2. have a solid reason to go to GSD. I hope your GRE improves in the fall. Do you mind sharing your portfolio? 

Jul 26, 16 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
linhou

hsk880- I visited couple of schools and I looked at their course descriptions. I am kind of person does't know what my path could be. and I really like to focus more on designing the spaces rather than form? if that make sense, so I need a lot of directions and mentor. and I like East coast. hahaha. I am international student, so I think that it is hard for me to get scholarship. I am still revising my portfolio, but I want to get some advise. I will figure out how to put a bunch of screen shots here or have a link

Jul 27, 16 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Pitt isn't a frequent feeder school to the Ivy M.Archs. That's not at all to imply it's impossible for you, but the admissions people aren't going to be as familiar with your undergrad program and the end-product grads that it produces, as they would be with schools from which they draw more of their students on a regular basis. Your portfolio is going to need clear indicators of what the assignment or mission statement was, what level you were at when you did each project, how long it took, whether it was a group project, etc.  In addition to a stellar portfolio, what you're going to need to have a fair shot is some great references - preferably including at least one from an employer and 2-3 from professors who know you well enough and understand the GSD's curriculum well enough to write specifically about how you're a natural excellent fit.  You may want to ask your recommenders whether it would be helpful for you to provide them some suggested bullet point topics, and/or samples of your work to jog their memories about the specifics of your projects and aptitudes.

Jul 27, 16 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
linhou
@Bloopox thanks so much! That is exactly I planed except I could ask my professor to refer some of my projects in their letters. That will be stronger. Our program is very small, so professors know us very well. I posted a new thread with some layout of my portfolio. I put a lot of effort into in. I am really restricted for the standard of beauty of layout. I like Janpanese magazine layout a lot . Take a look if you are interested! linhou and Lin Hou are the same person, I don't know why they are two accounts.
Jul 27, 16 6:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: