Archinect
anchor

Making it in NYC

alessandrasementilli

I finished school last year with a B.Arch in the Dominican Republic, and I'm thinking about moving to NYC as soon as possible. I've been sending out my resume, portfolio and applying to a reasonable amount of firmsin the city. So far I haven't really heard back from many of them. Is it a good idea to search for a job while living in another country, or should I just go for it and move to NYC, and look while I'm there?

Jul 18, 16 3:33 pm
tduds

It's a gamble. If you aren't living in/near NYC you're almost definitely not going to get responses. If you move to NYC, your chances increase. But you might still have trouble landing a full time gig and moving there is a huge expense. 

Go for it if you can afford it.

Jul 18, 16 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Stop thinking that because you send your resume out to any architectural firm, that you are entitled to the time of day. Established firms have a lot of choice. They don't care about your design talent when you graduate because they know that your experience will reshape you and your mentality as time goes on. What firms are really looking for is how practical (software and other) skills practiced in academic projects can be of use and value in real-world scenarios. You may have spent 1000+ hours making a really beautiful portfolio, but if you were to do the same in an office, you'd be deemed really expensive and probably laid-off because the firm cannot afford the amount of time you put into a particular task. 

SO:

Here's what I would do: I would start working for anyone. You don't have to start working for a starchitect to eventually work for a starchitect (if that's what you really want to do). Divorce yourself from the idea that the only way to make it in this profession is by working for a starchitect or for some well-known firm. once you start working, immerse yourself in whatever you are doing. Try to master what you are doing. Every experience counts. Even if you hate the actual work you are doing, try to learn something from your experience, even if it is as menial as how to set up a titleblock. Every experience counts and it eventually adds up. Another piece of advice is to try to get DIVERSE experience. Don't get stuck working for the same firm for five years (at least in the beginning of your career). Try out different job settings. I've worked for an architect, interior designer, contractor and even engineer. Don't get discouraged by the set-backs and frustrating moments. Knowledge is power!

Jul 18, 16 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

Seeing how this will be your first work experience in North America, I would suggest trying other major cities in America also if you can.  NYC is very expensive and many seem to want to go there to work straight out of school.  Recent grads I know who find jobs in NYC usually find full-time positions after doing internships with the firm during uni or  attended schools in NYC where they end up networking with profs or studio guests who practice in NYC.  Moving to NYC without securing a job would be a no-no for me.  From what I hear, the starting pay for someone right out of university is not very good and makes it almost impossible to survive there.  If I was moving to US for the first time and looking for my first job, I'd try other cities like Seattle, LA, Portland etc also.  Good luck with your job hunt. 

Jul 18, 16 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

NYC is ridiculously expensive.  I'd check out some cheaper cities to move to temporarily while you get situated and then look for a job in NYC.  Why NYC anyway?  There are plenty of cool smaller cities where you will have a better overall quality of life.

Jul 18, 16 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

There are a lot of people from the Dominican Republic who settle in NYC. The poster may already know someone who she can stay with while she job hunts.

Jul 18, 16 9:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: