Archinect
anchor

Career advice

mash78

Hello everyone, 

I'm a 38 year old female architect living in the Middle East. I have only a little work experience as I've been a homemaker for many years. I have worked for about a year after graduation at several technical offices drawing shop and working drawings. I did a little freelancing design work and interior design. My portfolio is very weak. I can only work on AutoCAD. During the past years, I took on several jobs in other fields, depending on my good writing, presentation and language skills.

As for my personal characteristics, I am a terrible time manager if left on my own, well disciplined when managed by others. I am creative, inquisitive and research-oriented. Can work well with other team members. For the past 10 years, I have been mostly using my skills and resources in other areas (no regrets) and not advancing my career.

Last year I finished my master's thesis and I worked for two terms as a part-time TA at a local university. That means no contract - no benefits - no security. 

My dream is to be a professor at a prestigious University in the Middle East. Of course, this is not an easy task considering the high competition, my age and my lack of experience.

I'm willing to invest time and money to achieve my dream but I don't know where to start. I would like help with formulating a timed action plan.

Should I start with enhancing my portfolio? That would mean taking some courses in new software (Rhino, grasshopper...etc) and finding opportunities to design projects (competitions, relations..etc)

Should I start right away with my PhD? I have to find a PhD program at a prestigious University that would allow me to study on a part-time basis, as I cannot relocate and leave my family. Can someone help with that? Is there a certain topic that, if I specialize in,  will increase my chances of getting recruited as a professor later?

Are there any other steps I can take to boost my chances?

Thank you for all who will take the time to read this and give some positive input.

Yours,

Jul 18, 16 12:14 pm
citizen

I strongly recommend you do not pursue a PhD if you're "a terrible time manager if left on my own."   Doctoral studies are self-directed, without much (sometimes any) management by others.  This is why so many doctorates are begun but comparatively few are completed.

Jul 18, 16 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

What kind of professor?

In the US, you only need a PhD only if you are planning on going into the history/theory/philosophy side of things...not sure if that is the same in the mid east or not.

If you want to teach architecture on the studio side you might be fine with your masters. Some of the best designers in their personal practices are the worst instructors and vice versa.  You should just apply, research what they are looking for and make it happen.  Avoid a PhD if you can - I wouldn't want to start that process at 38.

Jul 18, 16 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
mash78

In the Middle East, you need a PhD to be a professor in any field. I think I would make a good instructor because I have some experience in teaching which I enjoyed and felt I was useful. 

Jul 18, 16 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

...some experience teaching (2 terms) and no experience in the field?

Sound like you've got what it takes.

//end sarcasm

Jul 18, 16 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
I'd say you are facing one hell of an uphill battle, as people may not take a chance on an entry level person potentially older than project architects/managers, and not through any fault of your own but the whole younger telling older what to do dynamic and the questions around it.

That said, do what you feel you need to do to achieve your dream. It may be an uphill battle but fight for it.

And sell yourself better too. It's good to know your weaknesses but don't lead off with them.
Jul 18, 16 1:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: