Archinect
anchor

Salary to expect for a foreign architect - newbie.

Zuni
Hello everyone,
I live in Bay Area- California. I have Bachelors in architecture from a foreign country and I have recently started working here on contract position.
Looks like this might turn into a full time job opportunity for me.

I want to know how much should one expect in terms of salary on hourly bases or annually.
Please help me in figuring out what should I expect and negotiate for.

Jul 15, 16 10:45 am
poop876

Little more background would help. What is your position now? Your responsibilities? Your experience? Any licenses? Credentials? Too many factors just to tell you you will get 35k/year

Jul 15, 16 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

$37.5k!

Jul 15, 16 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
cadomestique

That's euphemism for "cad drafter" and if you don't have any experience in USA construction tech don't expect any figures north of 35k annually 

Jul 15, 16 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect

Check out salaries.archinect.com

Jul 15, 16 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

35k in the Bay Area?

Thats a joke right?

Jul 15, 16 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
Zuni
Thank you everyone for all your help!
More info on my job position :

I am getting into this field after a long break that's becoz. I was not having legal permit to work in the US. Foreign experience don't count in US.

I got this position as an entry level drafter its a small size firm with mostly residential single family home projects. My scope of work includes managing entire projects from SD phase to CD phase, meeting with clients, getting city approvals and permits.
I am good at AutoCad and have also learned Revit. The fact that I have bachelors degree in architecture ( it's from foreign country) helps me better understand project details. In the future I am planning be a licensed architect here in the US.

At this point I want to work on projects and get some good practical experience.But
don't know what should Expect? As for now I am getting 18/hr. And no other benefits. It's been 3 months now since I have started. Looks like I will get lot of work load in future if I continued :)

With this as a background what should I expect?
Jul 16, 16 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor
Max 40k for now.
Jul 17, 16 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

35k in the Bay area... Do they expect you to live in a tent?  Would be funny... Architect, person  responsible for building houses, living in a tent.  xD

Jul 17, 16 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
cipyboy

I'd suggest start off with 50k. my first job in the country offered $60k plus benefits (in D.C), but its a designer position and I did a Postprofessional Masters degree. I'm currently doing my IDP hours and accepted another offer in Florida.  

Jul 18, 16 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
Zuni
Thank you to everyone out there for all your help !

This has given me an idea of what to expect when you are at your staring point :)

Jul 18, 16 7:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: