Archinect
anchor

Fresh graduates job hunting in NYC

archinect2016

I just graduated this Summer from an ivy league school with a M.Arch degree. I have sent out tons of applications but only 4-5 got back to me, either with direct denial or interview followed up with rejection or no immediate opening... 

Everyone here seems like very positive about the market right now, but where are the junior positions in the city???

Any other fresh graduates live in the city want to share your experience?

Jul 15, 16 1:23 am

First of all, Ivy League degrees are a dime a dozen in NYC. The name of your alma mater is more likely to stand out if it's actually known for something other than being part of an athletic conference.

The whole point of attending an Ivy League school is for the networking opportunities that come with it, and each Ivy League architecture program has an extensive alumni network in NYC. Is there something preventing you from tapping into that resource? My University of Cincinnati connections, for example, opened lots of doors for me in NYC because it's a well-respected program with a strong alumni network.

Do you already live in NYC? If not, it's going to be almost impossible to get a job there. Employers in general prefer to hire local candidates, and NYC in particular is incredibly parochial. If you don't already live in NYC, I suggest moving there ASAP, even if it means having to sublet a furnished bedroom for a while, setting up a local phone number and address, and being ready to come in for interviews and start work on short notice.

Finally, how strong are your portfolio, resume, cover letter, and references? If you haven't already done so, it might be wise to ask a trusted mentor for some candid feedback. What software do you know? Firms are busy and it's a strong job market, but having to train a completely green employee is huge time-suck that detracts from project work. (Yes, firms should be committed to professional development, but that has to be balanced with project deadlines.) It's a cruel catch-22, but most firms want new hires to have at least some experience.

Jul 15, 16 2:26 am  · 
 · 

When looking for work in NYC, I found it most helpful to go out and actually meet people. 

In 2009, I volunteered with a few design focused community groups before landing my first gig. Met my first employer by just showing up at the office to deliver my portfolio. That could have backfired, but what did I have to lose? Got my next few jobs through people I met in the city.

If you get your work in front of the right people at the right time I'm sure it will all pan out. Good luck.

Jul 15, 16 9:13 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

I'm changing jobs, contact my firm lol

Jul 15, 16 9:41 am  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

Also if you are just applying to starchitect firms you will likely get a no, they get like 1200 portfolios for each job.  There are tons of firms doing great work without the name.

Jul 15, 16 10:35 am  · 
 · 
MinimalCrazy

I dont think going to an Ivy school matters. The only time that helps is when my peers told me Rem or other starchitects were their studio professors and hired them based on their work. I personally never went to one. I just graduated undergrad and managed to get a job in NYC. I applied early before the influx or applications during the summer so maybe that's what matters.

Jul 17, 16 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
MinimalCrazy

@DavidCole' comment

"Do you already live in NYC? If not, it's going to be almost impossible to get a job there. Employers in general prefer to hire local candidates, and NYC in particular is incredibly parochial. If you don't already live in NYC, I suggest moving there ASAP, even if it means having to sublet a furnished bedroom for a while, setting up a local phone number and address, and being ready to come in for interviews and start work on short notice."

I don't believe this is a make it or break it factor. Several friends and I managed to get jobs in NYC and none of us reside in the states. We all work at different offices. Therefore I would not recommend wasting money to move to NYC without having a job secured.

Jul 17, 16 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
I'm hiring but I'm not in NYC
Jul 17, 16 9:11 pm  · 
 · 

Congratulations on finishing your degree.

Your statement above, "I have sent out tons of applications", may partially explain why you are having difficulty finding a position. Usually when someone sends out a lot of applications it means they are just using a generic portfolio / resume / cover letter.

Instead you should carefully select a firm, do your research on that office and craft your application documents to emphasize your relevant experience for that particular office. While this takes longer per engagement, it will often produce a much higher response rate. Hope that helps.

Here are a couple of articles that might be helpful for you:

The Two Page Architecture Portfolio

Should You Work For A "Starchitect"?

Good luck!

Jul 18, 16 2:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: