Archinect
anchor

Is this the portfolio that will get me hired?

After completing six years of schooling, including my Masters in Architecture, I've dedicated myself to intense research and study, while also working the whole time through. However, my portfolio solely features student work and study without any professional work. With two months of unemployment, is there anything wrong with my portfolio? Anything I should change so I can get a Junior Architect position or something similar from a large firm? 

Please offer feedback if you can!

to see the portfolio in question, please visit the link below: 

http://alexiavirue.com/portfolio/

Jul 14, 16 11:14 pm

Not meaning to be harsh but did you look at it after you posted it?

I could not read it even with a magnifier.

From what I could tell I would say that you need to edit it down. I can not say anything else simply because I could not read any of it.

Jul 14, 16 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Feedback?  Okay.

Z's right.  Some nice images, but that text you spent so much time writing is not legible, and effectively a 4-point font on the screen.  A potential employer will not spend time to enlarge the view when they're skimming through many portfolios in one sitting.  Do it for them.

Also, do a brief summary version that's 12 exquisite pages instead of 48 largely undifferentiated ones.

Good luck to you...

Jul 15, 16 12:13 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Echo the above sentiments. The slow scrolling was a big turn off. On the first round of applications you're going to have to pass the skim test. Too many blank pages or pages without meaningful content. I gave up about 15 pages in and most firms will. This would be better for a sit down interview. You need 10-12 pages of meaningful content to get them interested and then they'll spend more time with your portfolio after you've passed the skim test. 

Jul 15, 16 10:40 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

yes - if you are going to apply to super studio

Jul 15, 16 11:48 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Your desirable qualities are your Photoshop skills, but those are a dime a dozen. What more do you bring to the table other than your "exceptional design skills" that will make you the next Starchitect?

Jul 15, 16 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Less: 
Images from other people, low image count collages, text, pages without real content, messy graphic design, diagrams (maybe keep the same amount, but don't let it overrun actual project design) 

More: 
Drawings, renderings, complex and design revealing collages

Jul 15, 16 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

The Miami bike hub is the strongest project imo...The study of parking medians and the first project are also good...Id trim it down to 3 projects 12-20 pages.  Also, there are some blank pages that are a little odd and unnecessary.  Good luck! 

Jul 15, 16 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
BR.TN

I stopped reading between:

"I dedicate this thesis assignment to all those struggling in the trenches of suburbia, struggling to find their own sense of community spirit."....and the disclosure that your mom lived at 969 Park Avenue. Get real.

related: RIP Ada Louise Huxtable

As far as the work in your portfolio - its not good enough to get a Junior Architect position at a large firm, especially in NYC. Your portfolio and design sensibilities are catered more to a smaller firm, say 15-20 people or less. If you want to work for a large firm, you need to show more sensible presentation and compositional skills in your portfolio, especially regarding your diagrams and graphics. A large firm is usually looking for highly consistent and relatively rigid designers, as in, someone that has a "style" or "modus operandi (M.O.)" that they like and is compatible with the standards in their office. in that case, your portfolio should look more corporate if you want a job at a large firm. The best way I can describe that is to certainly have more white space (I don't mean blank pages) and use a more identifiable and universal grid template, with a final rendering for each project as your first image to sort of serve as a preview of the project. It allows the interviewer to "judge you by your cover", which has negative connotations but is surely what the interviewer's sole priority is. This makes it easy for them. If the interviewer likes how that rendering looks, they can choose to follow along with the following pages that show design intent and your investigative analyses. But, if they think the project is too incompatible with their work, they can flip through the less superficial pages and move on to a different project's final rendering. I say this specifically because thats how corporate architecture firms present their work on their websites. They show the "book cover" (final rendering) and then follow with a summary of "the book" (the substance behind the design).

This portfolio you've built can get you an internship, but it wont be pretty. You might have to commute for an hour each way to get there, or you might have to work in a 6th floor walk-up Midtown studio that has 5 employees and one interior renovation project. My reasoning behind this is that I think any established firm with a long-standing reputation will probably not hire you over another applicant based on the level of graphic cacophony in your current portfolio.

Just so you know, "Junior Architect" is a job you get after 3 years of professional experience. Almost every job posting for Junior Architects are looking for candidates with 3-5 years of experience. What you're qualified for is an internship. 'Architectural Assistant', 'Architectural Intern', 'Architectural Designer', 'Intern Architect', 'Designer'; one of those.

One last thing - this thesis between invigorating suburbia...did you take a unique stance on this at all? As in, did you add your unique perspective and iterative design process to come to a conclusion that is individual to your own? It wasn't apparent. It looks to me like you just took the textbook status quo of how to develop a suburb and applied it to Kendall, Florida. An employer already knows how to do this better than you, so I think it'd be more interesting to come up with the most innovative solution you have; its an infinitely expensive hypothetical school project after all. I don't think this advice really helps you now, since you probably don't want to redesign your entire thesis project, but this is important to keep in mind for your future endeavors. Be different.

Jul 15, 16 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Oh wow, just read the text...it's pretty bad.  Why so many shout outs?  Save it for when you win an Oscar...

Jul 15, 16 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Just stick with decorating- now I understand why there are more graphics than good architecture in your portfolio. It comes from your experience haha

Jul 15, 16 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Jul 15, 16 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞
FFS now I know why I hate this profession. A bunch of Balkins.

I like the portfolio as magazine idea. However it's not the work I have a problem with, everyone will pick it, and the text apart, to death, as you're finding out now. My issue is, why a large firm? Do you want to be an architect? This reads as magazine, so it seems you tend toward marketing, and not building. If you are trying to get in an architecture firm, why a large one? Nothing in here speaks to your ability as someone competent in document production.

I like it, but you need to own it more, and be thorough in every single aspect of the document, how does it read on the screen, print it, does it read well in that format?
Jul 15, 16 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

IMHO the magazine format would read better on Issuu; while I understand that the blank pages are facing pages, in the current format they read as mistakes.

Jul 15, 16 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
Dangermouse

I'd also put together a condensed portfolio with professional work - maybe 2-4 pages, no fluff, just examples of what you'll bring to a firm as a junior designer.  Provide that along with the longer collection of academic work.

Jul 15, 16 3:58 pm  · 
 · 

Perhaps have your portfolio look like you are not a student. What do offices need right now, and usually all the time??..Someone who can step right in and start producing accurate drawings...sections, details..your portfolio gives me the impression that it would take much time and effort to get you to the point where you could be useful.

Jul 15, 16 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

i'd look into preparing for interviews beyond having a nice portfolio.  there's more to it than just a well put together portfolio. 

Jul 15, 16 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

'A bunch of Balkins.' -b3tadine[sutures]-

^best line ever on archinect!

To the OP; I'll rate your portfolio 6.5/10, above average compare to the many I have seen. There are some good content but I would focus on the more interesting architecture drawings like the project w/ building sections if you want to get into the architecture aspect in the firm rather than marketing. Use those stronger projects and lay them out on a sheet and use it as a work sample. Those are the teaser images along w/ your resume and cv to help you land an interview. And when the interview comes along, that is the time to show your personality and portfolio (15-20 page max).

Goodluck

ps slapping a cute picture of you on a resume doesn't hurt either. jk =P

Jul 15, 16 8:04 pm  · 
 · 

ps slapping a cute picture of you on a resume doesn't hurt either.

OP this is the worst advice period.

Jul 15, 16 8:25 pm  · 
 · 

Careful, Beta. If you say his name three times he'll appear on the thread.

Jul 15, 16 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

ps slapping a cute picture of you on a resume doesn't hurt either. jk =P

^-- kawaii sells,  to some people.  probably not a lot.  honestly i can't say if building a glass ceiling from the start is a good idea.  get your foot in the door, build some experience, then do better.

Jul 15, 16 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Balkins Balkins Balkins.  

Jul 16, 16 12:14 am  · 
 · 

BOO!

:-P   (Just had to play along)

Jul 16, 16 12:24 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: